Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2005, 22:41   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Alternative Sources of Fuel (including plastic fuel!)

Guys,
with the Fuel prices going sky high,
What other Alternatives do we have that can be produced cheap, not polluting, with no compromise in Performance and FE.
I am talking other then LPG and CNG.
Old 26th June 2005, 23:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Super Reva.

There's this guy in America. Red Porsche. Tons of batteries. Does standing burnouts and shreds rubber. Easily keeps up with gasoline Porsches of the same model too. And you can't beat the instant torque of a DC motor.
Old 27th June 2005, 00:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And you can't beat the instant torque of a DC motor
Yup, that's probably the best part about electric cars. Tab the pedal and all that toqure is right there, no matter what speed you're doing.

Ofcourse if you've got tons of torque, it can be a problem controlling it. You'll need some sort of a regulator which can vary the torque reaching the wheels, in order to control wheel spin.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th June 2005 at 00:17.
Old 27th June 2005, 01:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Super Reva.

There's this guy in America. Red Porsche. Tons of batteries. Does standing burnouts and shreds rubber. Easily keeps up with gasoline Porsches of the same model too. And you can't beat the instant torque of a DC motor.
Yes but you still have to produce electricity somewhere, right? That means either (1) Flooding places (2) Burning gas (3) setting up a nuclear plant or other such means which still create some form of pollution or use up fossil fuels elsewhere...

Not really an alternative, unless you have access to energy that isnt dependent on fossil fuels at all.
Old 27th June 2005, 09:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

What about Biodiesel Guys... lotsa research going on... (especially in my college )

read more here:

http://www.dceonline.net/biodiesel_research_at_dce.htm

Picture of college principal's BioDiesel (official) Car:

Last edited by DCEite : 27th June 2005 at 10:03.
Old 27th June 2005, 10:20   #6
BHPian

My physics professor used to say that one of these three,
will end all energy shortages of mankind,
1. Nuclear Fusion.
2. Superconductors at room temp.
3. Solar energy with feasible efficiency.

Coming to cars, some of the alternatives are,
1. Hydrogen based. (Fuel cells)
2. Molasses/Ethanol based. (By product of Sugarcane industry)
3. Biodiesel based.

US, India and China are moving towards hydrogen based economy.
South American countries which produce lots of molasses are moving
towards Ethanol based economy.
And European union is exploring biodiesel and hydrogen based.

I feel fuel cells are the way to go.

PS : LPG/CNG are still fossil fuels and wont be available after 10 - 15 years.
Old 27th June 2005, 10:20   #7
AGP
BHPian

Hydrogen is the ultimate fuel that can be used which can produce almost zero pollution as the products of the hydrogen burning is only water vapor. In Japan it is commercialized. In india Banaras Hindu University is working on engine development for hydrogen as a fuel. But only concern is that how to produce hydrogen? If we go for steam-reforming which uses natural gas to produce hydrogen, it produces CO2 which is not tolerated as it cause global warming. So only alternative for less polluting hydrogen production is Solar, Nuclear or biomass. And the process development for all these sources are under progress. Hope by 2020 we have a mature developed process for hydrogen production
Old 27th June 2005, 14:38   #8
BHPian

I think BIO-DIESEL will be the next thing we will get, coz all over india, the government is putting up lot of land under farming , growing Jetropha. (in case if someone missed out where biodiesel comes from - Jetropha plant) In Andhra Pradesh, aroudn 2.5 lakh acres is being put to cultivating Jetropha. it will be around 15-20% cheaper than regular diesel i suppose.
Old 27th June 2005, 15:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

@steeroid, flooding places is the most viable. Pollution is non-existent in that case. Also nuclear power: amount of waste generated per generated kW must be MUCH less than coal etc. Could live with it for a few years/decades.

@shan2nu, yeah, the torque makes the reva unbeatable in stop'n'go traffic. That's why the porsche guy got those wheelspins. Easiest way to regulate such loads would be through viscous coupling, as used in heavy-duty industrial applications.
Old 27th June 2005, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
@steeroid, flooding places is the most viable. Pollution is non-existent in that case. Also nuclear power: amount of waste generated per generated kW must be MUCH less than coal etc. Could live with it for a few years/decades.
Is not in my opinion. Hydroelectric power has its own way of damaging the eco-system. Nuclear power may produce lesser waste in terms of weight, but in terms of danger to life it is far too risky. Personally, solar power and fuel cell technology is what looks most attractive to me.
Old 27th June 2005, 17:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the alternatives could be;

1) hydrogen-fuelled internal combustion engines- could run with a separate reservoir, for rapid electrolysis of water into hydrogen and oxygen; the power source for the electrolysis will have to be li-ion or fuel cells, as high voltage is required for rapid disintegration. it takes almost 85KWH of electricity to generate 1 kg of hydrogen- but the calorific value is way higher than any fossil fuel, even ATF (air-turbine fuel).... actually, i had some designs in mind for a hydrogen powered car ( the engine), but....no resources, and some guy in iceland is already trying to implement my idea....he..he..

2) solar powered D.C induction motor/ A.C motor, that would run as hybrid-powered, with the help of fuel cells or high-amp efficient li-ion batteries (no I.C.E's). the thing is, although D.C motors produce max. torque at zero r.p.m, they are less efficient than a/c motors...

and as for the myth about electric cars not being fast, there was this guy, who ran an electric car with a d.c motor, with 6000 (!!!) 1.5v AA size batteries as fuel, in the salt lakes.... and he clocked 240 mph+.....
Old 29th June 2005, 02:55   #12

hey lambo listen the best thing to do in india is to get an electrical car which can be recharged normaly and through solar pannels though hydrogen internal combustion engines are great but in india we dont have the tech to do it
Old 29th June 2005, 03:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

I saw a news report that HM re-launched the CNG Amby and they are claiming that cost per km is only Rs.1.25.
I wish more companies offer CNG vehicles and more CNG outlets be made availabe to the public.
Old 10th September 2005, 02:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Nuclear power may produce lesser waste in terms of weight, but in terms of danger to life it is far too risky.
not to mention the unsolved problem of nuclear waste disposal. Most countries are just leaving it to the future generations to worry about it.
Old 10th September 2005, 14:57   #15
BHPian

warrenty on New CAr

Does anybody have a idea if a LNG/CNG kit ( off course installed by a licensewed fellow) wil invalidate the manufacturers warrenty or not

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks