Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 09:45   #16
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9216 View Post
Even though the technology may be the same, the actual code format may be different.
I don't think MUL will bring in different forms of technology for different models. Will turn out to be hugely expensive for them.

What you could do is ask the guy is he has indeed made such keys for a customer before and if he could pass on the details of the customer to you whom you can then call and check with.

I know this is not a foolproof method, but I feel its worth a shot.
Old 11th August 2009, 13:08   #17
BHPian

There is no way Maruti would send out the codes to all and sundry. It would compromise all the security of their cars and be a throw back to the days when any key (house keys / bike keys) could be used to open the Maruti 800. His claims sound interesting and I dont put it beyond the street smartness of these guys to come up with some sort of solution. Wish someone puts this guy to the test.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

RFID keys can be duplicated for sure. I am actually looking for a keymaker who can do this because I've lost the brand new spare key. Can anyone give me any references?
Old 12th August 2009, 22:13   #19
BHPian

I still again tried for further information (this time through a cousin of mine, my face is too familiar by now). The key maker was as emphatic with him as he was with me. He laughed off the suggestion that RFID keys cannot be copied. He said that he expects payment only after successful testing. He claimed he can copy keys of any Maruti vehicle except A-Star and SX4. He was not maintaining any record of customers.(Incidentally, I had duplicated ordinary keys through him many times in the past 10 years. In the initial days he was maintaining records.)

AND I found out another key maker with exactly same claims. His charge is 2300/-. He clarified that the rig to do the copying costs 40,000/-. He did show me some records, but I could get only a glimpse. It looked genuine. (I had known him for decades as a rubber stamp maker, but not enough to barge into his business and ask for secrets).

I should say I am fairly convinced that keys can be copied easily.

If a small town like mine has atleast two persons who can copy RFID keys,
I think we should accept the fact that claims about iCats are just soap bubbles.

I strongly wish that Team-bhp will discuss the matter with Maruti people and get their opinion.
Old 13th August 2009, 00:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
This is not possible. The key fob contains an RFID chip that sends a signal to the ECU of the car following which it allows the engine to be cranked and started. The key's structure can be duplicated, but try inserting the key into the car and try starting it - it won't start!

So, the guy can duplicate the key, but he won't be able to use it to start the car.
Don't know if this guy can actually do what he claims, but its technically possible.

UK govt tried to do the same thing for passports claiming that since digital passports work on challenge -response mechanism on RF, it can't duplicated.

And it was proved wrong in a few months.

How to clone a biometric passport while it's still in the bag ? The Register
RFID access cards duplicated, HID protects its turf
Old 13th August 2009, 11:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Its nothing to write home to maruti about. There are many other car manufacturers like skoda, honda etc who use the exact same technology. And it can be copied. Abilt not easily it can be done. At least its more secure then just the normal keys which can be made by a shaved off blank key.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:43   #22
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9216 View Post
I strongly wish that Team-bhp will discuss the matter with Maruti people and get their opinion.
Mods, perhaps we (T-Bhp) can take this up with MUL and find out if these claims are indeed genuine. It's starting to worry me now.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:46   #23
BANNED

Little OT...

What's the cost of obtaining a duplicate key for iCats ?
Old 13th August 2009, 12:55   #24
BHPian

About 2500/- officially from MASS
Old 13th August 2009, 15:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone recommend such a center in Mumbai?

Most Viewed