Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 17:54   #31
BANNED

Re: Swift AC Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Hello.
I have a Swift VXi 2006 model, almost 80,000km. And this problem has suddenly cropped up.
Is it that there is something touching the movement of the fan?

Anurag.
Old 29th September 2014, 18:02   #32
BHPian

Nope. I checked that. It makes a sound as if there is a short circuit happening. That scared me and I checked it the first time I heard it. Then taking out one element at a time, arrived at the AC function.
Now, after I travel some 5km with the AC on, and the sound may or may not appear. But most times it does.
The cooling inside does not change, but the noise IS loud.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:49   #33
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Nope. I checked that. It makes a sound as if there is a short circuit happening. That scared me and I checked it the first time I heard it. Then taking out one element at a time, arrived at the AC function.
Now, after I travel some 5km with the AC on, and the sound may or may not appear. But most times it does.
The cooling inside does not change, but the noise IS loud.
My swift (done over 92500 kms now) also has had this problem for close to 2.5 years now. The issue comes up during hot weather, never experienced it in cold weather conditions and especially when the car is idling or at lower revs on the 1st or 2nd gear.

There is usually no issue with the cooling but a couple of times the cooling had stopped and I had to stop and start the car or the a/c again.

When I had checked with the MASS SA, he said its the sound of the compressor and nothing major to be worried about

Cut the long story short, 2.5 years, no other issue than this sound, but don't know if it is adversely affecting any other components.
Old 26th November 2014, 20:29   #34
BHPian

Hi friends, I have a small query. Please forgive my ignorance about my own car. Please unravel these mysteries for me-

1. Does the Ritz Diesel have 1 fan only? Same fan for AC as well as for Radiator.
2. When I turn On the AC the Radiator fan starts spinning immediately. Is this normal?
Old 26th November 2014, 21:32   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Hi friends, I have a small query. Please forgive my ignorance about my own car. Please unravel these mysteries for me-

1. Does the Ritz Diesel have 1 fan only? Same fan for AC as well as for Radiator.

2. When I turn On the AC the Radiator fan starts spinning immediately. Is this normal?
To answer your questions:

1. Yes

2. Yes, it is absolutely normal. Once the 'A/C' button is pressed and the fan does not switch ON then it is NOT normal.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 22:22   #36
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 swift Vxi which has run 60k kms. Suddenly from past 1 week the compressor has started making a noise which is similar to the one in this video but there is no change in AC cooling or fan speed.

Got it checked at MASS, they said that compressor should be changed and they can’t repair it so took to Aditya Car AC at Rajajinagar, Bangalore and they said that it is a common issue in petrol swift and the OEM Delphi compressors are known to fail early and the only solution is to change the compressor. He said he will replace it with a Subros one which is better than Delphi and it would cost me 20k.

Did a bit of research and read in one of the forum that this is a common issue in swift and this happens because the oil in the compressor would have dried out. Once the oil in the compressor is checked and refilled the issue would be resolved. Can someone who has faced a similar issue please confirm this.

Also can some one please suggest me a good AC mechanic in Bangalore who can check the oil level of the compressor? Before spending 20k on a new compressor I want to check the possibilities of getting it repaired.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 13th April 2015, 23:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 swift Vxi which has run 60k kms. Suddenly from past 1 week the compressor has started making a noise which is similar to the one in this video but there is no change in AC cooling or fan speed.
Vijay,

My Zen makes a similar (albeit high pitched) squeal when I start the air-conditioning.

It was diagnosed to a -for lack of a better word- 'worn-out' AC clutch. MGP does sell the AC clutch assembly separately. You might want to get an opinion based on this.

Cheers!
Cartman

Last edited by Cartman : 13th April 2015 at 23:50.
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 08:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Most of the Swifts mentioned in this thread are 2006 models. Any idea if Maruti fixed the issue in later years? I have a 2008 April petrol Swift (facelifted model) and just curious if I should also expect this soon. The car has done 62k and the AC has been on almost always throughout.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 09:20   #39
BHPian

Be careful and not be fooled, a lot of times it is the pulley bearing that connects AC belt that makes noise and not the compressor. Not always but often the case.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 09:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Be careful and not be fooled, a lot of times it is the pulley bearing that connects AC belt that makes noise and not the compressor. Not always but often the case.
Will get the pulley bearing checked however I suspect it not to be pulley bearing issue because if the bearing had problems then the noise would come right from the time I turn on the AC and will not stop till I turn it off but here the sound is not constant its intermittent.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 21st May 2015, 17:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

=====
Regards,

Vijay

This is a classic Swift compressor issue. Only remedy: replace. BTW the comp is available for around 14,000/- in the market here in Mumbai. Not 20,000/-. Original. With warranty. This 'Aditya' people seem to be taking you for a ride.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st May 2015 at 18:02. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large thread for short replied, affects readability with mobile browsers. Thanks.
Old 21st May 2015, 18:01   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
This is a classic Swift compressor issue. Only remedy: replace. BTW the comp is available for around 14,000/- in the market here in Mumbai. Not 20,000/-. Original. With warranty. This 'Aditya' people seem to be taking you for a ride.
+1 I had enquired with Wecool in Bangalore and he mentioned compressor depending on the OE make range from 11 to 13k. Repairing is difficult, especially with the diesel ones since they are variable type.
Old 25th May 2015, 14:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Absolutely correct, even I tried every trick in the book to sort out the problem, however replacement is the only viable solution to this issue. Got mine replaced and never had any issues thereon.

Also it is very common in older Swifts, irrespective of Diesel of Petrol.
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Will get the pulley bearing checked however I suspect it not to be pulley bearing issue because if the bearing had problems then the noise would come right from the time I turn on the AC and will not stop till I turn it off but here the sound is not constant its intermittent.

Regards,
Vijay
Hi Guys,

Got the pulley bearing and also the oil level of the compressor checked, everything seems to be ok but the sound is still there. After getting the car inspected by at least 3-4 AC mechanics I have come to a conclusion that it is a compressor issue and replacement of the compressor is the only solution as every one suggested the same including the MASS.

Can some one please suggest me a good place in Bangalore where I can get a new compressor installed also what make & type (piston or rotary) of compressor should I go for and any idea on how much it would cost me?

MASS has given a quote of 21K for replacement of the compressor.

Thanks,
Vijay
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:17   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can some one please suggest me a good place in Bangalore where I can get a new compressor installed also what make & type (piston or rotary) of compressor should I go for and any idea on how much it would cost me?
Wecool Tobias 080 25364270 just off Garuda mall/Margrath Road. You will have to go with the same type of compressor that came with the car, since putting a different model would require more parts to be changed and hence more cost.

Prices keeps on varying, just take the car there so that they can find out the make and model and confirm back on current price.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed