Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 22:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Guage of M800 fluctuates when car is driven hard.

Hi guys,
My 12 yr old m800 (carb) fuel guage seems to fluctuate ie it moves sharply to "E" when i drive it the car hard say 4000-5000 rpm in second gear.

I had just recently changed the fuel guage meter but the problem had persisted even before the guage was change.Only now what happens is
i put in fuel woth 100 bucks ,the needle happily goes above the half mark and after say 15-20 kms of driving if i push the car the needle starts to drop fast towards "E" somtimes even going below "E".

Now it gets scary since i do not know how much fuel is in the tank thus taking away the pleasure of driving.As i said before i had replaced the guage meter but same problem persist.Any ideas what the reason could be?

Thanks a bunch
Old 8th August 2009, 22:24   #2
BHPian

Does it stay like that or does it return to normal level when you slow down again? If that is the case, it could be that the acceleration causes the fuel to move around / get accumulate towards the back of the tank and give out incorrect readings.
Old 9th August 2009, 00:16   #3
jav
BHPian

Maybe the float in the fuel tank is malfunctioning, something similar happened to me too the needle was stuck at quarter tank and i was thinking i am getting great mileage but when i went to fill up there was only a few ml of fuel left in the tank, got the float changed and its working fine.
Old 9th August 2009, 00:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Does it stay like that or does it return to normal level when you slow down again? If that is the case, it could be that the acceleration causes the fuel to move around / get accumulate towards the back of the tank and give out incorrect readings.
Hi,rageshgr yes the guage comes to normal after some time say after i park the car and start again it seems fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Maybe the float in the fuel tank is malfunctioning, something similar happened to me too the needle was stuck at quarter tank and i was thinking i am getting great mileage but when i went to fill up there was only a few ml of fuel left in the tank, got the float changed and its working fine.
Hi jav, i was thinking of getting the float replaced too.How much did it cost you? Must be a messy job opening the fuel tank and all.
Old 9th August 2009, 09:43   #5
jav
BHPian

I got mine replaced under warranty but it was somewhere around 500, usually the float is on the top of the tank and is pretty easy to remove, it took just ten minutes to get it replaced
Old 9th August 2009, 11:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,rageshgr yes the guage comes to normal after some time say after i park the car and start again it seems fine.
If it returns to normal only after some time , and not immediately, I too doubt a faulty float
Old 9th August 2009, 15:15   #7
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi guys,
My 12 yr old m800 (carb) fuel guage seems to fluctuate ie it moves sharply to "E" when i drive it the car hard say 4000-5000 rpm in second gear.Any ideas what the reason could be?
I faced this problem on my old M800 as well. It was traced to a faulty float assemly and the entire assemby was replaced. I don't see whey you changed the guage initially when you faced this problem because, the guage is just an indicator, where as the real fault would lie on the component that is responsible for showing the right level of fuel in the tank namely the float assembly.

Change the float assembly and this problem will be solved.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 9th August 2009, 19:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I faced this problem on my old M800 as well. I don't see whey you changed the guage initially when you faced this problem because, the guage is just an indicator, where as the real fault would lie on the component that is responsible for showing the right level of fuel in the tank namely the float assembly.
Hi gpa,
I had the guage changed as the temperauture guage was busted too.I guess i may have to go for a float change too.

thanks
Old 9th August 2009, 20:20   #9
BHPian

Its the float in my opinion too. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks