Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 01:48   #16
BHPian

Great! So I'm not delusional or paranoid.
Why would this happen? From the responses, I see that the only thing that has not been tried yet is tappet adjustment. I'm going to go over to my MASS and see what they think and try and get this done.
Old 31st August 2009, 07:56   #17
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post

1. My car behaves like a sine wave. That is, she is ultra smooth for 2-3 days in a week as far as engine firing is concerned. Pickup is very nice (even if tyre pressure is bit low). Now this is really hard to describe but it feels like a butter to drove my Swift :-).

But suddenly these good times are over, almost surely on the 3rd day, I can see the she just drags on the road (I travel 11+11 KM on good road to office everyday). The pickup is gone and it feels a bit like I have to rev the engine to move ahead. Surprisingly, I can hear engine noise now in the cabin (I always drove with all windows closed and no AC except summer).

One more observation - If I dont drive my car on weekends then on Monday she is back to nice and lovely darling ! (till Tuesday)
Appears to be a problem with my Swift as well. Here are some observations on my 3.5 year old Swift VXi.

She runs like butter when

1. She is idled for a good 2 mins or so before driving
2. Idling with A/C on (though not good for engine) results in a more refined drive later
3. Use of Shell Super or additives (Bardahl, System G) with Shell Normal
4. After being driven hard
5. Typically when it is just me driving and there are no other passengers(the engine is more refined)
6. On relatively cooler days (which are very few in Chennai)

She sounds coarse when

1. I drive away in a hurry without idling
2. Driving with a full complement of passengers
3. When driven for extended periods in the city with a light foot
4. When parked in the sun the whole day and I take her out in the evening
5. Usage of normal petrol for extended periods (without additives)

But I have not really experienced a loss of pickup (just loss of refinement and more engine noise). I know that some of the above observations may sound absurd, but I am sure that I am not imagining things.

The saving grace is that, I know by using additives or Shell Super she will run satisfactorily smooth irrespective of other factors.

Eager to see if someone has an explanation or solution to this
Old 31st August 2009, 14:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
...She runs like butter when
1. She is idled for a good 2 mins or so before driving...
Getting the engine up to running temp seems to be the easiest way to get a smooth ride out of this eccentric beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
...She sounds coarse when
5. Usage of normal petrol for extended periods (without additives)...
+1. System G + regular petrol seems to improve matters more than premium does.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:09   #19
BHPian

Open Challenge - My petrol Swift trouble

Dear All,

This is really getting on my my nerves now....even having bad thoughts of parting with my Swift....

My 3 year old petrol Swift (odo - 45 K) behaves strangely. She is ultra smooth for 2-3 days but suddenly "bad spell" starts. This bad spell continues for a day or two only.

Bad Spell
=======
I hear some engine noise in cabin (windows all rolled up, no AC) and it feels like a crude petrol engine. Worst, the pickup is all gone and she literally drags on the road.

This continues for a day or two. And then suddenly "good times" are back.

Good Times
========
I start my Swift in the morning to go to office. There is very little but quite "buttery" noise inside cabin. This is expected because she is just warming up and the engine is reving high initially. After 2 minutes. she is perfectly silent inside...just like a real Swift.... I dont hear any engine noise afterwards in cabin then. She is so smooth that I can make the mistake like a novice who hit the starter while engine is running.
I am on roads now and it's a pleasant pickup. Just a small touch on pedal and she push you back in your seat with ease. I kiss her on steering.

Now, dont tell me to do following after reading above story because I have already done/checked this.

1. Petrol quality is out of question here as this problem occurs with the same petrol from the same petrol pump. Tried changing the petrol pumps but no use.

2. Engine oil/spark plugs are changed regularly as per schedule. Servicing is done regularly.

3. I keep tyre pressure is perfect all time (32 Psi as recommended)

4. Engine de-carb was suggested last year, but I think it is waste of money. So declined that idea.

5. Fuel/air filter was replaced recently. No issues there.

6. ECU settings are not changed as per my knowledge. (God knows if Maruti guys might have fiddled with it anytime)

I am willing to offer a nice free lunch/dinner to anyone who can give me definitive pointers to eradicate this frustating problem from its root !!

Frustatingly yours,
Abhay
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:11   #20
BHPian

Dear all , in frustation I have posted one more post "Open challenge - My petrol Swift trouble"
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:12   #21
BHPian

[quote=KRN;1458042]
1. She is idled for a good 2 mins or so before driving
She runs like butter when

I will try this today but not sure how much it will help....
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:18   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

New set of plugs
New fuel and air filters
ECU check esp all sensors
Ensure EGR working fine
Check throttle compensator
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Injectors. Get them checked/cleaned or try from some other car.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:30   #24
BHPian

Check out the weather conditions when this happens. The A/C has to work overtime under certain weather conditions.

Check out your seating position. If the seat is pushed back you might feel a loss in acceleration but it could actually be just a variance in foot pressure.

And don't forget the role of the driver. Driver is affected by a lot of factors including music, breakfast and fellow drivers!
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:30   #25
gpa
Senior - BHPian

From what you have mentioned, it does look like a clear case of clogged injectors. Get them cleaned if you have not already done so in the past 45k kms.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Injectors and/or fuel pump.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
From what you have mentioned, it does look like a clear case of clogged injectors. Get them cleaned if you have not already done so in the past 45k kms.
Ok, I will check this. Do you suggest checking tappets as well ? (I dont know what is tappet)
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Ok, I will check this. Do you suggest checking tappets as well ? (I dont know what is tappet)
Do these modern engines even have tappets?
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:50   #29
gpa
Senior - BHPian

abhay,

Don't think what your experiencing is related to the tappets. Tappets helps to transmit movement between the camshaft and the inlet and exhaust valves, Its like a metal piece located between the cam lobe -cam shaft- and the valve stem.

Whenever there is a misalignment/maladjustment in the preset gap maintained between the valve stem and the cam lobe then it produces tapping noise or a distinct clatter.

Due to the latest manufacturing technology, high end materials and lubricants its not noticed in newer generation vehicles.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

May be off track...three years old car. When was battery replaced? Is it original? Do you have any troubles starting?

Most Viewed