Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 09:22   #1
BHPian

Scorpio Suspension and Tyres

Hi All,

The scorp was at NBS for some gasket changes and one complaint was that the car was pulling towards the left slightly. The diagnosis was worn out tyres (OEM JK Elanzo, odo at 54 K) and they suggested a suspension overhaul. The bill for the suspension overhaul is Rs. 14,000 including shock abs, tie rods, joints and labour. Now, I don't know if this overhaul is needed as the car does not seem to exhibit any abnormal suspension wear. Also, it could be the tyres that are the culprit, or it could be both. My question is two-fold:

1. I took a rough estimate from Oberoi Suspensions at Bandra and he quoted 6000 without shock absorbers, but was open to taking a trial with me and changing only rubber parts and tie rod. How is this guy and does he do a quality job?

2. Changing the tyres: I have all 4 elanzos and am on a STRICT budget. I am recommended the Maxxis Trepador at about 4.5 K (yet to negotiate) and the JK at 3.8 K. Bridgestones are around 5.3 K and hence out of budget. What's my best bet? The guy is willing to give me a 4 year warranty on the trepador, but I am yet to meet someone who is using these tyres. Also, considering they are AT, will they compromise my FE in city (where most of my driving is). Finally, will JK at 3.8 K be such a bad choice (considering they are OEM with the Mhawk, I am told)

Please help!
Old 11th August 2009, 13:04   #2
BHPian

No idea about the guy from Bandra, but if your suspension is at a need for overhaul (which if has never been done before sounds normal at 50k+ on the potholed Mumbai roads) then dont change your tires unless you fix your suspension too. Reason being, this will greatly reduce the life of your tires if you proceed without fixing the suspension.

JK sucks - thats my personal experience. AT would consume slightly more fuel and make a lot more noise on city / sealed roads as compared to HT ones. Stick to HT unless you go off roading a decent number of times to justify the AT purchase.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:59   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

1. I would suggest that any and all such major overhaul jobs are done at the authorized service place, to avoid complications.
2. Ref tyre change - AT Tyres are fine if you do a lot of mud driving or off road type use or bad road type use. If your driving is predominantly on highways and in city, HT are more than sufficient. Personally I would go for the Bridgestones as I ve had very good experience with this brand. However, I would try and negotiate a bit if possible. You could even try the new MRF Wanderer special SUV tyres since you are changing the tyres anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Hi All,

The scorp was at NBS for some gasket changes and one complaint was that the car was pulling towards the left slightly. The diagnosis was worn out tyres (OEM JK Elanzo, odo at 54 K) and they suggested a suspension overhaul. The bill for the suspension overhaul is Rs. 14,000 including shock abs, tie rods, joints and labour. Now, I don't know if this overhaul is needed as the car does not seem to exhibit any abnormal suspension wear. Also, it could be the tyres that are the culprit, or it could be both. My question is two-fold:

1. I took a rough estimate from Oberoi Suspensions at Bandra and he quoted 6000 without shock absorbers, but was open to taking a trial with me and changing only rubber parts and tie rod. How is this guy and does he do a quality job?

2. Changing the tyres: I have all 4 elanzos and am on a STRICT budget. I am recommended the Maxxis Trepador at about 4.5 K (yet to negotiate) and the JK at 3.8 K. Bridgestones are around 5.3 K and hence out of budget. What's my best bet? The guy is willing to give me a 4 year warranty on the trepador, but I am yet to meet someone who is using these tyres. Also, considering they are AT, will they compromise my FE in city (where most of my driving is). Finally, will JK at 3.8 K be such a bad choice (considering they are OEM with the Mhawk, I am told)

Please help!
Old 11th August 2009, 17:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Shekar, As per me, JK Elanzo's are a strict NO!! as they wear out quicker than Bridgestones.
Old 14th August 2009, 10:51   #5
BHPian

Hi folks,

Thanks for your responses. Just that the JKs are almost 40% cheaper than the bridgestones, so in times of recession, seem like a better choice. Any suggestions on the Maxxis Trepador?
Old 14th August 2009, 11:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ain-tyres.html

Check the above thread on some views on the Maxxis tyres

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks