Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 18:01   #1
BHPian

Damaged Sub Frame on NHC. Need Help!!!

Hi Freinds,
While servicing my NHC at Honda service station, it was brought to my notice that the SUB FRAME on the left side has been damged which would require to be changed completly along with the left lower arm.

After inspecting the car personally it was noticed that the Sub Frame was indeed damaged, not really sure how?? and it was also mentioned, if the sub frame & the Left lower arm are not changed soon it will damage the right lower arm of the car as well.

The price quoted to me for the Sub Frame is Rs8500/- and the lower arm Rs 3500/- each.

What I need to know, does it require to change the lower arm or just changing the Sub Frame would be sufficient and are the rates quoted justified.
Cheers!!!
Old 11th August 2009, 18:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you hit any potholes at high speed? Extreme shock damages the suspension and frame components.
Old 11th August 2009, 18:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Did you hit any potholes at high speed? Extreme shock damages the suspension and frame components.
@I_Z : can't really recollect, but guess that could be the cause for the damage, keeping in mind the conditions of road during monsoon.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:51   #4
BHPian

Does anyone has a clue if changing the Sub Frame would be enough or should the Lower arm need to be replaced as well.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:48   #5
SCH
BHPian

I guess both needs to be replaced if the damage is noticeable.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha09mel View Post
Does anyone has a clue if changing the Sub Frame would be enough or should the Lower arm need to be replaced as well.
It is difficult to say, depends on the nature of the damage. But it is highly likely that your lower arm is also damaged because when you hit a hump or pothole it is the lower arm that takes the hit before the Subframe.

Did you check other suspension components? A SubFrame will not get damaged so easily unless you hit something really hard in which case I am sure there would be some damage to the Strut, BumpStop, Strut Mount, Coil Spring or Drive Shaft as well.

Last edited by novice : 14th August 2009 at 13:31.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:51   #7
BHPian

I had hit a upscaled drainage cover , and when I mean upsized, it was like almost 1 foot above the ground. Maybe to prevent people from going in during the monsoon floods, but I couldnt see it while I took a U turn and consequently had the same problem. I suggest you replace it asap since it is a driving hazard too.
Old 14th August 2009, 16:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
I had hit a upscaled drainage cover , and when I mean upsized, it was like almost 1 foot above the ground. Maybe to prevent people from going in during the monsoon floods, but I couldnt see it while I took a U turn and consequently had the same problem. I suggest you replace it asap since it is a driving hazard too.
Yeah!! guess I will have it replaced ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
It is difficult to say, depends on the nature of the damage. But it is highly likely that your lower arm is also damaged because when you hit a hump or pothole it is the lower arm that takes the hit before the Subframe.

Did you check other suspension components? A SubFrame will not get damaged so easily unless you hit something really hard in which case I am sure there would be some damage to the Strut, BumpStop, Strut Mount, Coil Spring or Drive Shaft as well.
@novice; the damage to the sub frame is more towards the left rather then the centre of the car but seems I'll have it re-inspected with an authorised dealer again and may be get it changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
I guess both needs to be replaced if the damage is noticeable.
@SCH: The damage is noticable to the Sub Frame but I didn't notice any damage to the lower arm inspite of standing below the car when it was raised to evaluate the extent of damage to the car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks