Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 10:29   #1

OHC Clutch noise - Help please

Hello BHPians ,

Atlast, after a long search(for about a year) i have finally bought my long awaited car, an Old Honda City, below are the specs

Make - Honda City 1.5 EXI (Old Shape)
Model - June 2002
Color - Heather Mist
Mileage on ODO - 70000 Kms

I seem to have a problem with the clutch noise and need help in understanding what could be the possible problem

Clutch, when pushed makes a screeching noise and seems to be a bit hard than normal. I took it for a check to one of the garage in JP Nagar Bangalore and was told that its a problem with the pressure plates making the noise and needs a replacement of the whole clutch.

As far my knowledge is concerned, i dont seem to have a problem in changing the gears, no slipping of gears or suddend rise in the rpm, which are more likely the symptoms of a worn out clutch (I might be wrong).

Questions
  1. What could be the possible problem (Pressure plates, Clutch disc, etc)
  2. Can an overhaul of release mechanism solve the problem
  3. If its a problem with the clutch, pls suggest how much would it cost to get it replaced.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:31   #2
jav
BHPian

Screeching noise usually is made by the release bearing when its worn out and needs replacement
Old 12th August 2009, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Instead of going ahead with some high cost repair/reaplacement - just oil/grease the clutch cable/sleeve, bearings etc.

I did mine and screeching went away.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:18   #4

Thanks for your suggestions

I managed to search thru some posts/theads on TBHP and found a couple of guys having similar problem.

The problem seems to be mostly duirng rainy season, as it dries up the Pedal hinges, spring and cables which actually makes the squeaking noise

Some of them have tried using WD-40 (lubricant) which actually has worked, but i'm not sure if its a long term fix or just a temporary one.

Anyone who has actually used it recently, pls suggest
  • How long does this last?
  • Does it need greasing after applying WD-40?
Old 15th August 2009, 02:24   #5
BHPian

Facing the same problem with my car Alto. Will take to service center next week. Any info will be great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks