Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 01:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Fiesta S - New Car rust and niggling issues: Need advice

I just got my Fiesta S 2 days back, see thread for details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...delivered.html

The car has been driving perfect, but I noticed New Car rust on the lower suspension arm and the rotors/discs. (the car is an April 2009 example and was lying in the warehouse since 4 months)

Ford Fiesta S - New Car rust and niggling issues: Need advice-p1020192-hdtv-1080.jpg

Ford Fiesta S - New Car rust and niggling issues: Need advice-p1020193-hdtv-1080.jpg

Ford Fiesta S - New Car rust and niggling issues: Need advice-p1020194-hdtv-1080.jpg

According to a few members who saw the photos, the suspension lower arm must be changed, and the uneven brake wear visible on the discs is also due to the hardening of the pads. Is all this of a larger magnitude than I think it is? Or should this rust be taken with a pinch of salt.

Should I ask the people to change the lower arm and the brake pads? OR is it normal to have this on a new car.

ALSO, the car was steering well before the change of tyres to PP2s, but since that time, there is play in the steering and the car is not holding a straight line since the steering wobbles slightly in my hand. I could also say the car drifts a little to the right/left on braking, at times.

WHAT's wrong with my car?
Old 17th August 2009, 08:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

+1 to the above. Change the disc pads. You can't accept crap disc pads - not with a 1.6 100 bhp car!

And show them this thread after a few hours. TBHP threads command respect!
Old 17th August 2009, 08:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Brake discs and suspension arms will develop a coat of rust around them in moments because they are cast iron. However, most cars have suspension components painted just to avoid this problem...
Old 17th August 2009, 08:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Frankmehta

I do not see any issue with the parts in photograph. Yes there is some deep scratches on the brake discs so please do change the brake pads or at least get them cleaned and sandpapered.

What I noticed is there is rusting of the wheels (Wheel not shown I guessed it based on the rust marks on the brake discs both front and rear). Please change the steel wheels ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Brake discs and suspension arms will develop a coat of rust around them in moments because they are cast iron. However, most cars have suspension components painted just to avoid this problem...
There is no problem with mechanical functioning of the cast iron parts due to rusting. it is just an Eye sore that is all.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th August 2009 at 20:22. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
yes, i gathered this on the forum. my area of concern is the handling and steering which are slightly off, and also the fact that the car drifts to one side when braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
+1 to the above. Change the disc pads. You can't accept crap disc pads - not with a 1.6 100 bhp car!

And show them this thread after a few hours. TBHP threads command respect!
ive mailed these photos to Shaman. i guess they will respond today. (i will have to call them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Frankmehta

I do not see any issue with the parts in photograph. Yes there is some deep scratches on the brake discs so please do change the brake pads or at least get them cleaned and sandpapered.

What I noticed is there is rusting of the wheels (Wheel not shown I guessed it based on the rust marks on the brake discs both front and rear). Please change the steel wheels ASAP.
I have alloys wheels sir. They are not steel wheels. They will not have rusted for sure. I am sure it's the oxidation between them due to collection of moisture in storage.

Quote:
There is no problem with mechanical functioning of the cast iron parts due to rusting. it is just an Eye sore that is all.
yes, an eye sore. I am concerned more about the brake pads.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
yes, i gathered this on the forum. my area of concern is the handling and steering which are slightly off, and also the fact that the car drifts to one side when braking.
All of this points to an alignment problem. Get a proper 3D alignment done and see if it goes away.

Rust on cast iron is only microns thick. Only the surface rusts with cast iron, so the functioning of the arms can't be compromised just because of the rust.

Quote:
That's what I meant.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

My skoda discs have surface corrosion if I don't use the car for a day. Bed in the brakes and it should be okay
Old 17th August 2009, 11:54   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
...the uneven brake wear visible on the discs is also due to the hardening of the pads. Is all this of a larger magnitude than I think it is? Or should this rust be taken with a pinch of salt.

Should I ask the people to change the lower arm and the brake pads? OR is it normal to have this on a new car.

ALSO, the car was steering well before the change of tyres to PP2s, but since that time, there is play in the steering and the car is not holding a straight line since the steering wobbles slightly in my hand.
WHAT's wrong with my car?
Please have the brake pads and discs attended to - such scoring on a new disc as seen from your pics is not justified.

The suspension arm rust is not a problem. Ask the dealer to clean and paint the arm. It's normal.

Play in steering and steering wobble, with drifting/pulling to one side are signs of incorrect wheel balancing and alignment. Please re-do the wheel balancing and alignment - that should sort out the problem.
Old 17th August 2009, 13:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

The disc pads needs a change.
Is that the lower arm ? I think its a rod that is connecting to tie rod at one end. I dont think that the part is a lower arm.
I might be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The suspension arm rust is not a problem. Ask the dealer to clean and paint the arm. It's normal.
I am yet to see this much rust in our Oct 05 baleno. However, I have noticed that newer cars are facing this issue more.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

I just got back from Shaman Ford workshop at Lalbaug. They acknowledged the hard brake pads and did the needful. They also fixed the alignment of my right head light assembly, that somehow was not flush with the bumper. The car is perfectly fine now, and the brakes are perfect (they anyways were, this cleaning was done just for peace of mind)
Somehow the slight pull to the left/right side is totally gone, and the steering is behaving itself very well. Only on bad roads, it jumps around. But that is due to the stiff suspension.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

The hard pads have already caused grooving of the rotor disk. looks like poor OEM suppliers of ford. replace it with quality ones. one fine layer of corrosion on the rotor disk and its rear will prevent any further corrosion. additionally you can get anti rust done for this and complete car as well due Mumbai climate.
Lower arm is not corroded, only the rotor assy, may be you should ask for replacement from the ford.

Last edited by gigy : 17th August 2009 at 17:21.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:35   #12
BHPian

Frank good to hear your babes is back on "straight" track !

But still i dnt like the rusted lower arm ( or whatever its called) , i know it would not affect the mechanical functioning of the part , but what the hell you have paid through your nose for each and every component of the car .. why compromise ???

It should be replaced by Ford !!
Old 18th August 2009, 16:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think you should get them to replace the Brake Discs under warranty. Period.
Old 18th August 2009, 21:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think you should get them to replace the Brake Discs under warranty. Period.
I completely agree on that.
Old 18th August 2009, 21:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

i am happy with the way they handled the problem guys. They did everything I told them. I am happy with these brake discs.

Most Viewed