Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 20:52   #1
BHPian

mis-firing of OHC

Hello Gurus,

Yesterday I was cleaning my engine bay with water and to my horror the car started to misfire. I tried to clean the distributor cap but in vain.

I am having 1998 Honda City 1.5EXi AT is there any thing i can do ? or do i have to show it to an authorize showroom.

Please guide me as i am in nagpur and not knowing any good local mechanic.

Help needed.
Old 18th August 2009, 21:38   #2
BHPian

dhananjay,

You should not wash your engine bay with water. Water could seep into some of the electrical contacts(like spark plug cap) and cause misfire.

One of my friend too had the same issue with his santro after washing the engine bay with water. He left the car idle for some time. The water evaporated when the engine became hot and things were back to normal.

Or you can try blowing compressed air on the engine bay to dry it up?
Old 19th August 2009, 02:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just let the engine idle for a few mins. Once the moisture evaporates, it'l come back to its usual state.

Dont try and apply throttle as it'l start misfiring even more.

Shan2nu
Old 19th August 2009, 10:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

Try to blow dry the spark plug leads and ensure that all the connectors are held tight. Most probably the mis firing would have disappeared by now.
Old 19th August 2009, 10:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just Let engine idle for few mintues, say 15-20 mins... It should be fine. Looks like water has entered intro distributor or spark plugs. Nothing to worry about.
Old 19th August 2009, 13:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Just let the engine idle for a few mins. Once the moisture evaporates, it'l come back to its usual state.

Dont try and apply throttle as it'l start misfiring even more.

Shan2nu
I have a small doubt here, once last year during monsoons i got stuck in hyderabad in a carb esteem, it started misfiring very badly, next day morning also it was doing the same. When i called my mech he asked me to press the throttle and keep it revving till the car reaches the optimum temprature (the temp guage goes up to the right spot), this issue was resolved by doing this.

My question is, is there any issues apart form the engine missing more while revving which will get cured any ways after the internals dry up in MPFI cars?

Pramod
Old 19th August 2009, 14:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Alteast when i tried to revv the engine, it got bogged down even more.

Moreover, its safer to just let the engine idle. It maynot be good for the engine to be revved when its not functioning properly.

Iv also noticed that whenever i give my car for wash at the local garage, they let the engine idle soon after the car has been washed. And the car never misfires.

But when i washed the car at home, i made the mistake of directly parking it in the garage without warming up the engine. This would have caused moisture to seep in and make the engine misfire when i took the car out, later in the day.

Shan2nu
Old 19th August 2009, 19:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Alteast when i tried to revv the engine, it got bogged down even more.

Moreover, its safer to just let the engine idle. It maynot be good for the engine to be revved when its not functioning properly.

Iv also noticed that whenever i give my car for wash at the local garage, they let the engine idle soon after the car has been washed. And the car never misfires.

But when i washed the car at home, i made the mistake of directly parking it in the garage without warming up the engine. This would have caused moisture to seep in and make the engine misfire when i took the car out, later in the day.

Shan2nu
hello Shan2nu,

Actually the problem is that I drove the car with this condition for around 160Km, since then I am very much afraid to even start the car. Tomorrow I will try to start and tell you about it
Old 19th August 2009, 21:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhananjay View Post
hello Shan2nu,

Actually the problem is that I drove the car with this condition for around 160Km, since then I am very much afraid to even start the car. Tomorrow I will try to start and tell you about it
You drove for 160km and still the problem persists! Strange...
Old 21st August 2009, 20:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
You drove for 160km and still the problem persists! Strange...
yesterday I had opened up the distributor cap, on inspection the rubber seal was broken leaving a small opening which had caused the problem. I cleaned the distributor cap with clean cloth, the contact point were having abrasive marks due to moisture I cleaned it with sand paper and now my car is working fine now.

Thanks to you guy's as you help me rebuild my confidence to atleast inspect the problem. I really had lost hope as to something really major thing had happened due to a small mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks