Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 16:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you don't trust FIAT *** then,
Get verified by a trustable mechanic/electrician, get the root cause of the problem( Alternator or Regulator , Repairable / replace)
Old 24th August 2009, 19:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

since you are in Mumbai go to prakash auto in milan subway and either get new for 6k or replace the regulator which will cost less than 2k. removing and refitting should cost 500 with local mechanic.( any good local mechanic will do, there is no much technical about it if)
do check the wires and connection going to battery before replacement. check for abnormal heating of alternator in say 2minutes of operation from cold start.

Last edited by gigy : 24th August 2009 at 19:28.
Old 24th August 2009, 19:34   #18
BHPian

The electric place in Opera house is pretty qualified and dependable (details in post below).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-2-2002-a.html

Fort cut: Best Auto Electronic Services : Shekhar :23826037.
Old 24th August 2009, 22:30   #19
BHPian

What a coincidence!!
Yesterday morning when I started my 1.6 Gtx after a gap of one week the battery light continued to be on even when the engine fired up. I felt my stomach churn since I faced the same problem in my 3 year old WagonR in 2004. Navnit Motors in Thane diagnosed that the Rectifier/Regulator was the problem and replaced the whole alternator for Rs 9000/- approx. Faced no problem since then with the WagonR.

Now I am faced with the same problem with the Palio 1.6GTX which I purchased a month ago. I knew I would have to pay big time. Did some quick search on T-BHP and the 'Best Auto Electronic Services' cropped up. But unfortunately did not have the phone number. (Its now posted in this same thread). I took the car to Fortune Powai taking care not to use any of the electrically operated parts and skimpily using the starter.

The guys at Powai had one look at the car and the answer was 'Change the Alternator'. No checking no testing whatsoever. What confidence? Cost= Rs 11500/- and also not in stock. Needs to be ordered. I asked if the alternator can be repaired. They say no, it can only be replaced. I then drove out of Fortune towards Bandra and show the car to a friendly mechanic, who suggests that the alternator can be repaired. Incidentally there is another 1.6GTX with the same alternator issue there (this car had its alternator replaced by a new one some months back and is facing the same problem again). Luckily for me, the battery went fully dead when I reached the garage and I was forced to leave the car there. No choice or second thoughts of taking the car to Operahouse to ' Best Auto Electronic Services'. I hope and pray this guy does a good job.

He mostly deals with auto Electrics. The latest is that the alternator has been removed from the car and will be diagnosed tomorrow. The alternator in this car is a pain to remove and work on since many subassemblies need to be removed to gain access to it. Hope I don't get a shock tomorrow. Will keep you posted. Secretly I wished I had taken the car to the Best Auto guy directly this morning. But I guess I will have to trust this guys skill and workmanship.

Can you imagine coming across 3 dead alternators Palio 1.6 Gtx's in a single day within a 50km radius? What are the chances!!. I hope I have not made a mistake of selling my ultra reliable WagonR for the performance oriented but eccentric Palio.
Old 25th August 2009, 09:55   #20
BHPian

@ giggy : Am not sure if its 6k for 90 Amp specimen ! I cross Checked with 4 Fiat A.s.s
IF its true treats on me !!

@ genesis : thanks a lot man !!

@ Spotty91 : What freaking coincidence !!
Last night my batery went completely blank ! Today in the morning I fixed an apopointment with Fortune Powai for Thursday !!! Now i dont need to bother them i guess. please update me on your progress. I have done a complete research on how alternator works and what are the cost of individual parts.. PM me your number lets talk on this buddy.. once your cars out lets mee..I also stay in thane ( Hiranandani estate)

Guess I would speak with Best Electrical Guys and Drive to them on satarday ( though am very bad at directions .. would try my best to find it out. lol)

Old 25th August 2009, 10:38   #21
Rai
BANNED

Charging issues

Hello,
Please get your ECU scanned. there may be some Intermediate Errors which is causing this Problems.
In the first week of Aug I had changed the Battery of my Fiat Petra and after that I had some issues (though not charging issues). and on Scanning the ECU, it was found that there were some Intermediate Errors in ECU. After clearing these Errors, all issues are sorted out and I was not charged any amount by dealer for this.
Hope this helps.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hello,
Please get your ECU scanned. there may be some Intermediate Errors which is causing this Problems.
In the first week of Aug I had changed the Battery of my Fiat Petra and after that I had some issues (though not charging issues). and on Scanning the ECU, it was found that there were some Intermediate Errors in ECU. After clearing these Errors, all issues are sorted out and I was not charged any amount by dealer for this.
Hope this helps.
if you could elaborate a bit on what issues you faced it might help .
Old 25th August 2009, 11:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well this is a simple problem.It is the altinator voltage regulator.Well the easiest way to chewck it your self at home is to just start the car preferabley when its dark and pyut on your head light on high beam.Then just accelerate slowly and see if the light are getting brighter or not.Wait and heat the engine up to normal according to the temp gage on the instument cluster.And then you could check the same thing.You could also do this whuile you are parked at traffic lights as this problem initially happenes once in a while.You could also check if the horn if becomming shriller or is sounding soft than before when you accelerate.Do post what the result of doing this is.By the way what car do you have?
Hope this helped!
Old 25th August 2009, 12:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well this is a simple problem.It is the altinator voltage regulator.Well the easiest way to chewck it your self at home is to just start the car preferabley when its dark and pyut on your head light on high beam.Then just accelerate slowly and see if the light are getting brighter or not.Wait and heat the engine up to normal according to the temp gage on the instument cluster.And then you could check the same thing.You could also do this whuile you are parked at traffic lights as this problem initially happenes once in a while.You could also check if the horn if becomming shriller or is sounding soft than before when you accelerate.Do post what the result of doing this is.By the way what car do you have?
Hope this helped!
Fiat Palio S10.
Well I cant try all this coz my battery died last night.(read my below post)
Old 25th August 2009, 12:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Fiat Palio S10.
Well I cant try all this coz my battery died last night.(read my below post)

Ok.If you have another car mayb you could use that battery and check this one out and then you could get the altinator job done.
Old 25th August 2009, 13:24   #26
BHPian

well it most probably is the alternator. since the battery light is on it will not be the cut out which generally blows. i have faced 2 cut out burns in my petra.
no authorised centre will repair it cos there is no guarantee of repair.i got my alternator reapaired from out side.
why not try the bosch guys the alternator in 1.6 is made by bosch and made in spain . i once had a problem and had to get a new alternator i asked them they said 12k alternator will be imported from germany 10% discount and time of arrival 45 days
Old 25th August 2009, 13:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well the altinator is a service able part so service it and use it what is the need to change it ?
Old 25th August 2009, 13:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well, blame it on inflation, recession etc if the price has moved up to 12k from 6k in less than two years but that's what i paid for a new one for my cousin's 1.2 palio.
do check with opera house and prakash motors for the price. if its only the rectifier assembly which is gone bad then replace it, don't repair that.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Well, blame it on inflation, recession etc if the price has moved up to 12k from 6k in less than two years but that's what i paid for a new one for my cousin's 1.2 palio.
do check with opera house and prakash motors for the price. if its only the rectifier assembly which is gone bad then replace it, don't repair that.
Yes thats what Fiat A.s.s.. informed !
Rectifier would cost about 1500 + 400 labour = Rs.1800
Makes sense to me to repair and see if it works out .. dont feel like spending 12 K + !

Could it be simply the alternator belt ???

because it is giving out 13.9V on ful load at the battery terminal I have a feeling it would be the Diode ! ( My understanding is that the Diode works as an one way valve , which prevents reverse flow of current from the battery)

To make it short , sicnce the alternator is producing the required voltage, but the battery is draining, only thing that could be is if there is a leake. If the diode is faulty this could happen.

Gurus woul the battery not charging light come up if the diode is gone ??

Last edited by karizma_devil : 25th August 2009 at 15:01.
Old 25th August 2009, 15:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
since you are in Mumbai go to prakash auto in milan subway and either get new for 6k or replace the regulator which will cost less than 2k. removing and refitting should cost 500 with local mechanic.( any good local mechanic will do, there is no much technical about it if)
do check the wires and connection going to battery before replacement. check for abnormal heating of alternator in say 2minutes of operation from cold start.

I digged out Prakash Auto Details : 9820148557.
They quoted Rs. 5500 for Bosch Alternators and Rs.5000 for Magneti Marelli ! I immideately called @spotty91 and we both were really exicited.

But after 5 mins spotty91 called and informed that these were refurbished alternators with 3 months warranty !

Now what to do ??? Repair or put in refurbished specimen ???

Giggy can you confirm they were refurbished or new ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks