Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 17:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Don't panic - run it for a few days - see if the problem occurs again. I don't think it is the fuel pump.
Old 5th October 2009, 18:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
It could be the Fuel pump. when the engine stalls, the light isgoing to come on. BTW Do you have a seperate Injector warning light or its the System malfunction light that lights up when the engine stalls.? Forgive me for asking. Mostly it could be the pump/relay.
Also vacuum in the petrol tank could starve the engine.

No its got a seperate injector aml functyion light which comes up.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:41   #63
BHPian

Ok mods can you please change the name of the thread to - Falio s 10 Starting & Stalling issues.( My alternator issue is completly solved - thanks )

Guys,

As said in below replies my car had stalled 5-6 times before , (only after I put in system G). I went for a long 250 KM drive on satarday on Mumbai-Pune express way.. car was smooth as silk 150km/hrs speeds.

I came back in the evening with absolutely no issues. But the car stalled 2-3 times at night, but started in 1 crank.

Next morning it again stalled but refused to start after i wated for 10-15 mins it started at ran fine.
Since morning i was feeling car was bit low on power (it was not its usual crisp self) it was juddering in between ( as if the car is suffocating). Suddenly in the afternoon it lost power and came to a stand still , and refeused to start !! fortunately it was near my home, so it was pushed to my appartment ( push starting didnt work.) . at night I also tried but No .

My observations :
1. the car was juddering a bit (since a week).
2. 250 km high speed run day before was flawless.
3. Car has been stalling since a week.
4. I can hear the wooshhhhh sound - fuel pump sound. ( thank good its working)
5. Injector light came up all the time it stalled.
6. Now the injector light stays on even when i try to crank.

Well what could be it ??
1. crank sensor.
2. Ignition Coil.
3.Injectors.
4. Spark plugs & wires.
5 . dare i say FUEL PUMP ???

Guys imputes from all troubled soules ( who have experienced the above ) will be highly appreciated.
Am planning to call fortune Fiat A.s.s - Am very apprensive about Fiat a.s.s competency after my alternator issue.

hope am not taken for a wild and COSTLY ride.

Helpp me. SOS - Message.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

First - Did you give the car for water service (including engine bay cleaning)?

it could be:

1. Ignition Coil Pack
2. Spark Plugs (get them changed - cheapest)
3. Crank Sensor - 1825/- in Kolkata (FASS)

System G will clean the injectors slowly over time.

I don't think fuel pump is the culprit.

My car stalled couple of times when i came back from a 300+km highway drive. The ICV was stressed IMO.

Read more here: Technical: Palio 1.6 - stalling problem - The FIAT Forum

DIY Reset the ECU - unplug the Negative terminal of the battery for about 5mins and reconnect the terminal. See if things improve.

Let the low fuel indicator come one before you fill petrol.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 12th October 2009 at 13:22.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:16   #65
BANNED

Since earlier you had a possible intermittent connection to the fuel pump I will suspect the problem in that area. The pump if it was getting energised intermittently could have been distressed.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:41   #66
BHPian

@ planet - No water wash in last month. I did disconnect the -ve terminal and tried starting in the morning - it didnt help. This stalling and suffocating started well before the highway run. Infact i did this run to clean the fuel line.
Now the car is refusing to start, though the crank is very healthy!

sgiitk : I do hear the fuel pump whoozzzz when i turn the ignition key. Had it been the fuel pump could it have pqssed the high speed and rev 250km run ??? Would it stall ?? would the injector lights come up ??
My prime suspect - Spark plugs and spark plug wire.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:57   #67
Team-BHP Support

Try this and see if it works, i did this for a collegaue's car who couldnt start it after getting a new battery after running down the old one.

Switch the ignition ON, wait for the tell tale ECU lights to switch off, the fuel pump whirr also stops, repeat the process once more and second time go ahead and crank without touching the accelerator pedal.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:00   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
sgiitk : I do hear the fuel pump whoozzzz when i turn the ignition key. Had it been the fuel pump could it have pqssed the high speed and rev 250km run ??? Would it stall ?? would the injector lights come up ??
My prime suspect - Spark plugs and spark plug wire.
Why I said the fuel pump is the following. The bad realy could have led to inadvertent fuel pump abuse. Hence it may have become dodgy. It comes on and then does it work reliably thereafter. Follow Jaggu's suggestion and see.
Old 13th October 2009, 07:01   #69
BHPian

Engine stalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Why I said the fuel pump is the following. The bad realy could have led to inadvertent fuel pump abuse. Hence it may have become dodgy. It comes on and then does it work reliably thereafter. Follow Jaggu's suggestion and see.
You are right. Have to suspect the Fuel pump as it was malfunctioning earlier.

If possible, disconnect the hose from the pump, switch on the ignition and see if you are getting a good flow of petrol? You can easly make out If the pump is malfunctioning. I am assuming that this is the only Fuel Pump ( no mechanical pump).

One more thing I have to mention from my experience is that with mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engines, High Temperature in the Engine compartment some times creates vapour lock in the pump and the engine stalls due to fuel starvation.

Could this happen in this case?
Old 13th October 2009, 10:17   #70
BHPian

@ Gaggu : million dollar idea !! I did repeat the suggested process twice and it didnt start in the 1st crank , but next time i again repeated the process twice and here she cranks up all nice and well !!!!
I took a short spin all smooth, but again when i came back to park it , it stalled while reversing. Now it does start but dies within 10-15 seconds of engine firing up.

sudharma : Am not sure where to look for the fuel outlet pipe in the engine compartment (its only been 3 months i have owned the car). Though i had a esteem for long time, this is a completely different cup of tea.
As far as my knowledge serves me the Palio fuel pump is submerzed in the tank ( petrols keeps it cool) . I suppose there is no onther pump mounted in the engine bay . (Two Fuel pumps = 12+ 12= 24 K = Heart attack ! )
Old 13th October 2009, 11:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

disconnect the negative terminal - disconnect the ECU terminals in the engine bay. check if there is any rust / moisture in the terminals - spray a bit of WD40.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:42   #72
DRC
BHPian

It is easy to get fixated on the fuel pump as you had an issue with it earlier. Please do think out of the box.

When similar problem occured on my petra(1.6), mechanic went on a replacement spree without fixint the problem. He changed the spark plugs, ignition coil, and was about to change the ECU.

Eventually, I decided to move away and trouble shoot myself. What I found was astonishingly simple. KN filter! the oild in KN filter gets deposited in inlet manifold temp/pressure sensor and causes this problem. cleaned it with alcohol, problem solved.

Just trying to give pointers... I may be wrong too.
Old 19th January 2010, 13:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

One more to added to the list

Last week got the battery changed, after the new batt was installed got it checked and the charging was around 13.4 (without any load).

Now the question is "13.4" is ok or we have a problem?

Secondly if thier is an issue, what might be causing it?
Old 19th January 2010, 21:19   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
One more to added to the list

Last week got the battery changed, after the new batt was installed got it checked and the charging was around 13.4 (without any load).

Now the question is "13.4" is ok or we have a problem?

Secondly if thier is an issue, what might be causing it?
With car off,the battery voltage should read 12.5V and with gaadi on,it should stabilise at 14-14.2V

Try checking the voltage across battery with engine rpm say 2000
Old 19th January 2010, 22:38   #75
BHPian

Not sure how much this would help but here is what happened to my car:

Car would crank fine but refuse to fire. The fuel pump was working for sure. So I opened the bonnet but shut it after I could not find anything obviously wrong. Magically, the engine fired right up. Later, I got a similar stalling problem at a low speed corner.

Instinctively, I opened up the fuse-box in the engine compartment marked EFI. Took each fuse out. One of the fuse showed signs of arcing. Cleaned it, and put it back. Problem solved. An EXAMINER test later showed that there was an Ignition fault registered in the EPROM. The fault has not come back on since, and my car is fine now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks