Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 12:51   #1
BHPian

Swift VDi - White Smoke

Hi guys,
2 days back, i started driving my DDiS and quickly moved up to 5th gear, trying to reach 100 kmph... Post 90, i felt the car is not pulling and pickup going down... I checked the tachometer and saw that the engine rpm is coming down from 2050 to 2000 and below 2000.

Checked my rearview mirror and i saw huge white smoke covering the entire road... I stopped my car and went back to see that the smoke is from my car exhaust.

I turned off the car and then parked on the side. Opened the bonnet and found that there is no smoke anywhere there. The smoke is only from the exhaust.

Turned off the car again and then turned on again after 2/3 mins. The smoke is gone. Then started driving. No problems. Car was behaving normally.

Next day morning, started the car and checked by accelerating the car in neutral. No smoke.

Took the car to CARS India, Kottivakkam chennai. They said there could be 3 reasons, why this could happen:
1. Engine oil could have burnt along with fuel - Engine oil level normal
2. Water could have burnt with the fuel - Not sure
3. Adulterated diesel - I used to fill IOC ExtaMile diesel. This time filled normal diesel as ExtraMile is not available.

Then they said, everything seems to be normal. Lets not do anything when there is no problem. Still not sure why this happened and whether it will happen again or not.

Over the last 2 days i am driving with an eye constantly on the rear view mirror looking for any traces of smoke. Everything seems to be normal now. Just not sure whether it will happen again or not.

Anyone had a similar issue?
Old 26th August 2009, 12:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Your service center is right with their diagnosis, wait and see if the problem re-occurs. When was the last time oil was changed/topped up/checked?

For swift D ensure that only 3.1 Liter of lubricant is used if the replacement is along with filter and 2.9 liters if the filter is not changed. Anything above can play havoc.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:58   #3
BHPian

You drove at 100kmph when the smoke came.
I would have driven it at that speed again to check if the problem persists.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:12   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the reply guys...

Today morning, i tried the same. I went upto 110kmph and the car was behaving absolutely normal.

Last oil change was at 1000km (First Service). Waiting for third service to change again (8200kms done presently)

Also CARS India said, if any there is any other problem, then the smoke wont stop after few mins. Since it has stopped, they wanted me to wait if it occurs again.
Old 26th August 2009, 15:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Also CARS India said, if any there is any other problem, then the smoke wont stop after few mins. Since it has stopped, they wanted me to wait if it occurs again.
unless your car is showing some other problem or this problem recur, please dont get the workshop to fiddle with it.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:36   #6
BHPian

not sure if im OT
if the smoke is bluish white that means you are burning oil.
White smoke generally implies improper combustion of fuel injected mainly due to
1 Engine timing out
2 Fuel starvation to the pump
3 Low engine compression
4 Water in the fuel
Old 19th May 2013, 06:54   #7
BHPian

Re: Swift VDi - White Smoke

Sorry for bumping an old thread. The same thing happened to my swift. Exactly same issue as username. Did find some oil in the intercooler. So the oil is getting sucked onto the blower side of TC.

Any one know what kind of oil sealing they are using in the TC?
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:05   #8
BHPian

Almost exactly the same happened to my Manza-Diesel. I haven't yet had a chance to take it to the workshop but am planning to this weekend. Will update this thread with my findings.
Old 9th July 2014, 15:49   #9
BHPian

Weird smokey behaviour from my Swift Diesel

Hi guys,

I've been a visitor at Team-BHP for many years, a member for a few and an active user for even fewer. Today, I am posting my first thread and it comes to you guys with a curious problem.

I own a 2012 Swift Zdi that has clocked 32,300 km. The car is regularly maintained and I use only synthetic engine oil. However, of late, I have noticed a curious issue that occurs on cold starts. I live in Bombay so 'cold' is a relative term, but you know what I mean.

Upon starting, even slightly revving the engine (up to ~1500 rpm) results in white smoke from the exhaust. This can be repeated up to about 10-20 seconds from start. Subsequently, the smoke disappears and the car runs normally. I am a total auto guy, have worked in the industry for 9+ years. I can tell you that from my experience - I have driven other Swift diesels both old and new - the car drives smoothly, no jerks, no whining, no noise and no drop in performance or fuel efficiency. The engine is revving cleanly once warm. My last service was 2800 km ago during which oil, oil filter & air filter were changed by Maruti Vitesse at Lower Parel. Synthetic Mobil 1 was used. I average between 16 & 17 km/l in Bombay traffic and have done so since the beginning of ownership.

The smoke smells of burning oil and is white, almost bluish in colour. Further, if I rev to ~2000 rpm and release the accelerator, the smoke only comes out as the engine is slowing down back to idle. No smoke as the revs rise, i.e. on lift-off only. I've tried to blow smoke in this manner once the engine is warmed up and there isn't the slightest sight or smell of oil, just regular diesel exhaust without any black soot, completely clear of particles, only noticeable from the smell that characterises diesel exaust.

Anybody with a similar problem or expertise?

Last edited by carmayogi : 9th July 2014 at 15:50.
Old 26th November 2016, 03:45   #10
BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

I have a Swift VDI 2011 model, it has clocked 104000 kms.
Lately I have observed that when I start the car after a day or two there is lot of White Smoke coming from the exhaust.
Though when the car attains some temperature while driving it, the White Smoke vanishes, and even after hard revving while driving there is no White Smoke, only the normal Black Smoke comes out.
I have tried revving it hard in idle as well when the Engine temperature is attained, then also only Black Smoke.

Can anyone explain this to me and tell me what are the reasons behind it.

As per my knowledge:
1. The Valve Seal needs to be replaced if there is a trickle of Oil after I shut down the engine.
2. The Piston Rings may have worn out which is taking in oil.

Yes I want to inform there is no change or affect in the performance of the vehicle. Nor there is any clattering sound when I start the engine and let it idle for a minute or two.

I would like to know few things:
1. Solution to this issue.
2. Rough estimate of the cost.
3. How to be sure what is wrong?

Thank You.

Last edited by Shivanshu : 26th November 2016 at 03:48. Reason: Adding up few things

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks