Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 17:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?

A little bit of history.

We're out to replace out old Korean workhorse (Accent, Oct '00, 1.36L kms). We finalized on the i20 Asta (1.2 M/T) after numerous TD's. The decision is made, no point in elaborating the reasons why I chose it. Mid-August, I called up four dealers and two of them, Shreenath and Jaybharat were offering me a white Asta delivery on 1st September (brother's birthday, wanted to surprise him). Went ahead with Shreenath as Jaybharat sales rep was pushing for the booking so hard it made me uncomfortable. Almost like someone from the dealership was gooing to shove a hand straight into my pocket and walk off with my wallet.

I asked for the PDI to be done at the dealership itself because the stockyard was almost 60km away near Bhiwandi. The car was supposed to arrive yesterday and I was supposed to inspect the car at 5pm, however till 7:30pm the car had not arrived and no concrete answer from the sales rep either. I was quite ticked off, but I asked for the PDI today instead. Went to the dealership at around 2:30pm (decided was 2:00pm) and STILL the car was being washed and cleaned.

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0021.jpg

It looked more like a used car than a new one, but as the wash progressed it looked better and better. Now for a couple of issues.

Went about the PDI very keenly, tried everything in the car from the audio to the electric folding mirrors. The odo read 67km. I could only find a couple of faults. But they've put me into a serious dilemma.

Firstly, I was inspecting the four corners of the car and noticing the panel gaps between the bumper and the body metal on all four sides. On the rear right side, the gap seems more like an aftermarket repaint job than a brand new car. Notice the paint touch-up like effect whether there is usually a clean panel gap (encircled). The other three panel gaps were perfectly even and had no flaws. I'm wondering if this was a repaint, and whether an incident caused the delay in bringing the car to the showroom yesterday.

Panel gap at other three corners.

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0022.jpg

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0023.jpg

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0024.jpg

And finally.....

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0025.jpg

Secondly, and more annoying, this one. The centre console is fitted in such a way that the top has a very irregular panel gap right above the TRIP button. It's clear in the pics I've clicked and attached. Any of you i20 owners (Sawyer, ReckDriver and all you lucky others), I'd like you guys to confirm whether the same panel gaps are present in your babies. And I'm really sorry if I've made you hyper about your cars!

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0026.jpg

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0027.jpg

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0028.jpg

It's so glaringly obvious that I was lost for words when the first the sales rep, then the delivery team representative, and then the customer care executive all said "Sir waise hi hota hai" (loosely, in Indian english, "This is like that only") I was so annoyed, I made the customer care exec and the sales rep walk to more than 7 other i20's and made them have a look at the top of the centre console. Save for ONE Berry Red Magna (which is conveniently the first car that the C.C.Exec took me to), NONE of the other cars had any irregularities in the panel gap. One of the reasons I fell in love with this car is that the interiors were as un-Hyundai as could be, fit and finish of high quality with pleasing materials. I will NOT accept a car which will remind me of having made a compromise every time I sit in it !!

I'm in a dilemma now. I've told the dealership I will go again tomorrow and do a second PDI, and am hoping to take a BHPian along for second opinion. I'm really wondring whether to cancel the booking / ask for another car to be allotted to me / reject the car altogether.

Of course, they tried pulling stunts such as "Sir, the car is already billed to your name by us", "Sir, we paid the octroi only because you wanted the PDI" and "Sir, we don't have another car to allot". LOL and LOL, because I haven't signed the form 20 as yet and the car isn't registered to my name. Furthermore, demand for white is so strong that they can easily find another customer for the car, one who can live with panel gap irregularities. I love my cars too much to deal with that.

Any suggestions? Am I beng anal about something that I should just accept? I agree that I was in a bit of a hurry for delivery because of my brother's birthday, but I'm NOT going to accept a sub-standard product because of a silly reason like that. I was so looking forward to this car, and now I'm back to square one.

Sigh. HELP.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th August 2009 at 17:15.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:19   #2
BHPian

If you have second thoughts, don't proceed, ask them for another car, or cancell the booking with them. Take delivery only if you are 100% satisfied, otherwise you'll always have doubts about the car. If other car's not have the pannel gap, why should this one have, and Yes, there is someting dicy about the paint job in the photo where you have circled.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:20   #3
BHPian

Like suggested by you, take someone along with you tomorrow for a second opinion.

If in the end you still feel dissatisfied with the car then get a different car alloted to you.

Dont rush and buy the car just because its available. Maybe you might have to wait a couple of days, but the joy of driving off in a car you have no negative thoughts about in just priceless!
Old 26th August 2009, 19:59   #4
BHPian

Do not hesitate to ask for another car.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:00   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
NONE of the other cars had any irregularities in the panel gap.
This raises concern. And now, whether the car is faulty in anyway or not, the thought will always linger in your head. Have another car allocated to you. Since you have not signed on any registration forms, nor taken delivery, you have nothing to lose (worst case scenario if dealer is not cooperating).

A new car delivery is supposed to be a special happy occasion. Tell the dealer so!
Old 26th August 2009, 20:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

@flyingspur - I will take a look at my car and revert tomorrow about the state of mine on the points you have raised. On rereading I see that the car is not registered in your name. No brainer then, since you have also seen other cars that did not have these defects, take one of those.

Last edited by Sawyer : 26th August 2009 at 20:12.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:05   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

It's your hard earned money and you should not take delivery of the car until and unless you feel every penny is being paid for it's worth. Don't hesitate for even a second to ask for another car.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:18   #8
BHPian

If you compared it to over 7 cars in the same lot and this one seems different then for sure reject it. Thats the purpose of a PDI, isnt it?
Car hasnt been registered to you so its not yours yet. Instead of taking on the problems just give it back to them.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Eagle eye you've got mate. Make sure they don't pull a fast one on you. Till you're 100% satisfied, put it on hold.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:28   #10
BHPian

Something about which noone has commented - looking at the encircled portion I certainly feel it has been repainted.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the Godown somewhere between Bhiwandi and Taloja? I remember seeing a lot of Hyundai's there. If its post 6.00 PM I can come there after my office.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice observation. The bumper seems to be oversprayed ...

Attaching a pic of my i20 dashboard...

P.s. Note down the engine no. of the car in question for future...

Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-img_1432.jpg
Old 26th August 2009, 21:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

No comments regarding the dashboard console, but uneven gap at the corners of the bumper is normal i say. When i went to take our i10 i had noticed this in our car and other cars as well.
Old 26th August 2009, 21:18   #14
BHPian

Take delivery only when you are 100% satisfied, insist on a new car, good you did a detailed examination.
Old 26th August 2009, 21:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
No comments regarding the dashboard console, but uneven gap at the corners of the bumper is normal i say.
Actually, i wouldnt be concerned about the gaps in the corners of the bumpers... but the bumper/panel seems to be repainted!!

In portions pointed out below, there appears to be dried paint in between the bumper and panel!!
Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-photo0025.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks