Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 16:22   #16

Hello Friends,
I just had the same problem with the aircon in my 2007 Laura L&K AT. I had bought it in Aug 2007 and the car was just out of warranty by 2 months when it happened. Thanks to JMD, Navi Mumbai Skoda replaced the Compressor and condenser FOC. What I had to pay was the labour cost. If you want to know more details, let me know.
I indeed appreciate the efforts put by JMD to get the free replacement under goodwill warranty.
Old 11th April 2010, 13:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
@TiT - The Laura compressor doesn't have a clutch, instead what it has is a governor and a control valve, which means that unless the compressor doesn't produce 28psi the valve doesn't open. The Octavia & The new Superb both have clutch, however, the Laura doesn't (And i'm given to understand neither does the VW Jetta or the Audi). In order to test the compressor, the control valve was connected to a simple air pressure monitoring gauge to see how long it took for the pressure to build up, and it became quite apparent when the initial pressure was 3psi that the compressor wasn't generating enough pressure for the control valve to open, and hence it would take a long time to build the pressure and then the control valve would open and cooling would start.

@Sudev - You're correct, the point is that I had to switch the aircon off and on several times, what I was inadvertently doing was allowing the compressor to build up the pressure and the one time that it kicked in was about 30mins after starting the aircon by which time the pressure had built up.

Finally, since I couldn't locate a Sanden compressor, I bought a Valeo compressor (the new model) for the Laura (which is a VW OEM), and had it installed. Total damages, Compressor Rs. 22,500, Filter Rs. 300, Cap & Seal Rs. 1700, Condensor couldn't find so didn't replace, Vacuming and Gas - Rs. 950, Labour Charge - Rs. 5000. Total Cost Rs. 30,450...... And boy it feels so cool now :-)
Does this new Valeo compressor comes in the new Laura? Where is it available? does it have the same specifications or do we need to get some alterations done? Where should i get it done? MY Laura's AC sucks since I got the delievery of the car and it has been serviced by these Skoda guys several times and they say that all the Lauras have the same problem.
Old 11th April 2010, 21:46   #18
BHPian

@Samsheo - The Valeo comes with the Jetta, the new Laura still uses the Sanden compressor. I had to have it picked up from someone who knew where it was available in Lajpat Nagar (this guy who imports stuff for Skoda, you can find everything you need for a Skoda there, he brings them from UK). There are no alterations required, and no changes are to be made anywhere.

The only thing is that you will have to find someone who is capable enough to fix it. If you are in Delhi, I could assist you with the person who helped me out. A healthy tip at the service station helped :-)
Old 18th April 2010, 19:17   #19

@duke- Thank you soo much for sharing the information.

You mean to say that I should get the sanden compressor only, which is a standard fittment? Will I also need to change the condensor also? I went to this Giriraj motors in Gurgaon. They checked it and said that the AC has gone and the condensor too needs to be changed.

Is the cost of the spare parts less then what the company workshops charge?

Please tell me the contact number and address of the guy who imports the skoda spares from UK.

Also, please tell me that which would be tht right place to get the spares fitted.

Please reply as soon as possible, because i want to get it fixed today itself.

Thank you
Sameer
Old 18th April 2010, 19:28   #20

I need to get the AC fixed as soon as possible.

Please tell me the address of the guy who imports these parts for skoda.

also suggest me the place where i should get these parts fixed.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:01   #21

@Duke

Good to hear about your AC fix. I also own a Skoda Laura L&K 2007 model and my AC conked off. Krishna Automobiles (Chandigarh) are in no mood to listen, though I had been complaining about the AC since the last summers.

Could be kind enough to give the contact details of the Skoda guy who imports skoda parts?
Is there anyway we can raise raise this issue with the company and complain about the dealership as they seem to wait for the cars to go out of warranty and look for an opportunity to slap you with exuberant bills.
Old 25th September 2010, 21:02   #22

I too have an L&K Automatic with AC problem. 3yr old vehicle. Had to change Compressor, condenser fan and dessicator filter. Total cost came to 40,000 all inclusive. Was fitted with Valeo Compressor. I'm residing in Chennai. Let me know in case any if yourequire any more details.
mah_mcp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 23:54   #23

Skoda Laura Compressor died. What's the next step?

Hi,
My Skoda Laura (2009) AC died completely today. Having troubled me for the last 3 years, it finally died just as the heat has started to build up. After reading a LOT of posts about the same, I wanted some guidance on getting it repaired.
After reading on the forum and checking with a local non A.S.S. showroom, I am pretty sure that the compressor is dead. I was in the workshop and saw that the HP and LP stayed at 140psi and 100psi respectively, which meant that the compressor is not really working. I tried varying the amount of gas in the compressor, but to no avail.
1. As with I guess everyone who has/had a laura, the AC never really worked from day 1 and every time I sent it in for repairs, I got the usual run-around and nothing got fixed.
2. My car is 3 yrs old (2009) and out of warranty and I never intend to go to the A.S.S. (Krishna Autos, the WORST dealer I have ever seen).
3. Which compressor should I buy? I think the options are Valeo / Sanden as pointed out by duke here, but the thread is from 2009 and if anybody has had a better luck with some other compressor?
4. Any good workshops in Chandigarh or Delhi where I can get the compressor and who can also install the same for me.
5. I am in Chandigarh, but can come to Delhi/Gurgaon to get the AC fixed as the car is virtually useless without the AC.
Thanks in advance
Old 13th April 2013, 00:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura Compressor died. What's the next step?

Compressor is a known issue for 2009 Laura, Please try to negotiate for Goodwill warranty with Skoda India(not the dealer), there is a good chance that you might get a free compressor. Someone i know got a free compressor for his 2010 Yeti, free of cost under goodwill warranty after his warranty expired.
Old 13th April 2013, 01:21   #25
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura Compressor died. What's the next step?

Since you are in Chandigarh, you might want to call and check with Skoda dealer in Patiala.

Though this is also another branch of Krishna Auto but I have serviced my Laura TSI twice from them and have had great experience so far. Their staff is very friendly and very experienced with known issues in Skodas.

See the address below:

Krishna Auto Sales
Address :
Village Mithumajra, Rajpura Patiala Road, Patiala
City : Patiala, Punjab.
Phone No :
91 9914400662, 91 183 5028961, 91 183 5028962.
Email Id :
service.pat@krishnaauto.co.in.

As for directions, it is on the way to Patiala from Rajpura, at the beginning of Patiala city limits, will be on your right just after passing Chevrolet dealer on your left.
Old 13th April 2013, 16:42   #26

Re: Skoda Laura Compressor died. What's the next step?

I also have a Skoda Laura 2011 AT. The compressor has died for the same.
Sent it to the Patiala dealership of Skoda and they said it has died and need's to be replaced. It is the last month of my car being under warranty and I told them to give it in writing as they did not had the part in stock. They resisted but finally gave in writing. I did not wanted to take a chance as my car way going out of warranty in few days.

Now awaiting a replacement compressor to arrive FOC.

PS: Spoke to the head mechanic and he mentioned that the skoda cars coming these days have a lot of compressor problem.

Paid Replacement would cost Rs70,000 upward.
Tj00072 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 08:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura L&K Compressor and Condenser question

Hi,

In my L&K, I have to set the temperature to about 19 deg in the mornings (between 5-8) so that there is proper cooling. Afterwards, I can put is between 20-21 for normal cooling and the fan also blows harder. At night, I have to set the a/c at 19 deg, for normal cooling.

I noticed this from the last one month. This is in the "Auto" mode. Is this normal?
Old 6th May 2013, 09:43   #28

hi,
I was just wondering where did you get your compressor and any good shop that works on skoda? I have laurs 2011 1.8 tsi with a/c problems

thanks
nick
Old 7th May 2013, 15:33   #29
BHPian

A 2011 TSI should be under warranty right? Get on the A**'s case pronto before the warranty runs out. If it has just run out then seek a replacement under 'goodwill'. Moreover weren't the AC issues sorted in models as late as 2011?
Old 28th May 2013, 08:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
I have a Laura L&K which has been having trouble with the A/C for quite a while and nothing really was done about it during the warranty period and now i am being told that I have to change the condenser and the compressor for the aircon.
=======================
4. While i think Skoda is not being helpful, I really don't want to rant, I have a car that I bought and I need those wheels to get me around with the least problem.

Any help is more than welcome.

Happy landings
Hey duke..I am facing thw same problem with my car VW Jetta 2010. The only difference is once it starts working the ac really chills...the only problem is to make it work. .. which while driving in traffic takes 15mins on the clock to throw cold air...After opening the compressor have you found any specific problem or do I really have to get the compressor replaced? I have 9 days left in my warranty and I got my ac checked by the agency and they couldnt find any problem. So I called up VW Helpline and they have asked me to go to Chandigarh agency and get it checked again. Please do let me know how your new compressor is working as If I change the compressor I don't want this problem to arise for atleast next 10 years. ..and I think its already been around 4 year approx to your swap.
Please do reply and update us.
Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks