Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 13:36   #46

Re: Skoda Laura L&K Compressor and Condenser question

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
I am no expert at this. But see if the following helps- I got my recall valve replacement for Giriraj Motors Gurgaon. How about you call them up, say that you got a call regarding this recall from your local service dealership. But since you are out here on business could Giriraj motors carry out the recall. If they agree, ask them to mail the details and the cost involved. Once you get this use the same doc in negotiating the recall at your service dealership. Or mention the same to skoda helpline and say no one is helping you and that you will goto social media and ask for help. This is the max I could suggest my friend. The laura compressor was always a problem and skoda should rectify such issues even though it might require a slight push. As for my recall I ended up paying 1800/- for some extra AC gas. I know it should have been free of cost but I did not want to get into an argument with the dealership specially when they will be servicing it for years to come for a small amount. All the best for your case
Thanks buddy appreciate your time and help.

Also wanted to thank the moderators at Team-BHP who have offered to get me in touch with someone in Skoda India.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 16th April 2015, 17:18   #47

After much to and fro, finally got a replacement compressor FOC, though had to pay 18 K for dryer and some other stuff. Chilling well now. Special mention for Wg. Cdr Suri, the GM of Satman Auto, who has been a true gentleman and extremely helpful. Had it not been for him, I would be going around in circles.
Old 6th March 2016, 11:28   #48
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura Compressor died. What's the next step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Compressor is a known issue for 2009 Laura, Please try to negotiate for Goodwill warranty with Skoda India(not the dealer), there is a good chance that you might get a free compressor. Someone i know got a free compressor for his 2010 Yeti, free of cost under goodwill warranty after his warranty expired.
Hey Anshuman! My dad got the compressor replaced for his Skoda Laura at the dealership for 80k+ two years ago. Now the A/c has started giving troubles again. It takes long time to turn on (5-15 mins). What do you think? Will the dealer replace the compressor now? As the compressor had 2 years of warranty and it has just started showing problems now.

I see that you have a picture of XUV500 as your display picture. Have you changed your car? I am really eager to know your experience of owning a XUV after Laura.

I am sorry for too many questions. Thanks in advance!
Old 6th March 2016, 12:55   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techieaditya View Post
Hey Anshuman! My dad got the compressor replaced for his Skoda Laura at the dealership for 80k+ two years ago. Now the A/c has started giving troubles again. It takes long time to turn on (5-15 mins). What do you think? Will the dealer replace the compressor now? As the compressor had 2 years of warranty and it has just started showing problems now.

I see that you have a picture of XUV500 as your display picture. Have you changed your car? I am really eager to know your experience of owning a XUV after Laura.

I was facing the same issue in my 2011 skoda laura, got it checked from skoda service center turned out the compressor was not working and was quoted a similar amount but then got it checked from a outside mechanic turned out the AC gas had Leaked got it refilled for 500 rupees and voila its working fine now, my suggestion is get it diagnosed from a reliable AC mechanic.
vap2151 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 15:49   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techieaditya View Post

Hi techieaditya, I still have the Skoda with me. The A/C in my Laura has started showing signs of failure again, I am yet to figure out where to get this fixed, only thing I am sure about is I am not going to a Skoda Dealer atleast for an A/C job again.
Old 11th June 2016, 16:11   #51

Duke,
Can you give me the details from where you got your Laura compressor in lajpat nagar and also which guy fixed it for you as my Laura compressor has gone as per nawab motors and replacement cost is 80000 plus labor.

You can inbox me the details on vivek_sharma20@yahoo.com. I stay in Delhi so going anywhere in Delhi to get it fixed isn't an issue.
Old 16th June 2016, 13:26   #52
BHPian

Update: Our Laura Aircon was showing troubles for over 6 months, the blower took long time to start. A week ago, we were going to Rajasthan and the blower stopped suddenly. We somehow managed for four days without the Aircon when the temperature was north of 45 degrees, Always.

All the lights on the A/c switches were on and the compressor was also responding when the switch was turned on or off. I called up the dealer and he said the blower has gone kaput and will need replacement, which will cost around 28k (That much money for a tiny blower!!)

Dad had made up his mind that we will get it replaced but this time I convinced him to let me try getting it fixed outside. I got it checked at the FNG, they took out the blower from under the dashboard and examined it carefully, checked the circuits which were okay. He said that the carbon inside the motor has depleted, which they fixed in an hour or so. And the A/c is working perfectly fine now. 28K job done for 500 ONLY.
techieaditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 11:44   #53
BHPian

Skoda Laura 2008 - Air Con update

@ 44,000 KM, 2.5 years: Compressor and condenser changed on Goodwill warranty (After fighting and escalation at Aurangabad). Problem was same as other owners have experienced. Lot of Switch on/off has to be done to get cooling. Compressor was not producing enough PSI.

Now the interesting stuff..........

@ 178,000 KM, 9 Yrs (Few weeks back) - Kind of Similar problem, few switch on/ off, low cooling. My mechanic said the compressor doesn't normally go Kaput, its the Control valve. He replaced the valve, renewed the compressor oil and gas. Now asked the cooling.... Super Chilllll. Never had this chill when the car was new also

Total expense - Less than 8 K INR.

Note: My mechanic is 8 yrs Skoda veteran and run his own garage since few yrs now. All my Skoda work he does it since many years. Pretty happy.

My red beast may come up for sale very soon folk, Keep checking our classified.
vipul_bscity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 17:54   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Hi techieaditya, I still have the Skoda with me. The A/C in my Laura has started showing signs of failure again, I am yet to figure out where to get this fixed, only thing I am sure about is I am not going to a Skoda Dealer atleast for an A/C job again.
Hey, did you manage to get ac fixed?

AC of my 2011 Skoda Laura has again started giving problem. Valves were renewed 2 years back. It does not cut in when idling. Also blower temperature is not cool enough when ac is running. Can you suggest any local garage in NCR for getting it repaired. Any feedback on Valeo ac and from where to procure in Delhi/NCR.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th April 2017 at 11:35. Reason: u > you + please use capitalisation wherever necessary. Thanks!
Old 30th April 2017, 11:22   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .cArMaNiA View Post
Hey, did you manage to get ac fixed?

AC of my 2011 Skoda Laura has again started giving problem. Valves were renewed 2 years back. It does not cut in when idling. Also blower temperature is not cool enough when ac is running. Can you suggest any local garage in NCR for getting it repaired. Any feedback on Valeo ac and from where to procure in Delhi/NCR.
I got the compressor changed to regular clutch type(& not variable load type which is known to fail frequently) Sanden last summers. Got the job done from Quik AC Lajpat nagar, he charged 25k all included and 6 months warranty.

Cooling performance is awesome, stock A/C both the factory installed and the one changed under warranty later had not so good cooling performance, this new one is a freezer.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th April 2017 at 11:36. Reason: Quoted post edited.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 11:52   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity View Post
@ 178,000 KM, 9 Yrs (Few weeks back) - Kind of Similar problem, few switch on/ off, low cooling.
OT: This, without doubt, must be the most run Laura on the forum.

Why don't you pen your experience in terms of the upkeep and the car's durability here? I am sure it would contain a lot of lessons for all Skoda owners.
Old 30th April 2017, 14:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I got the compressor changed to regular clutch type(& not variable load type which is known to fail frequently) Sanden last summers. Got the job done from Quik AC Lajpat nagar, he charged 25k all included and 6 months warranty.

Cooling performance is awesome, stock A/C both the factory installed and the one changed under warranty later had not so good cooling performance, this new one is a freezer.
Is this the same guy with shop named cooldays in Lajpat Nagar?
There are 2 quick AC refrigeration shops in Lajpat Nagar listed on just dial. Can you share shop address. I will also get ac replaced from the same shop. Skoda quoted 90k for ac job

What is the difference between variable load type and clutch type. Is variable load type Compressor more efficient? What I can understand is the variable load type compressor is always running and load is adjusted by controlling the gas quantity or piston stroke, where as clutch type runs on same load always and cuts in cuts off with clutch engaging mechanism.

Last edited by .cArMaNiA : 30th April 2017 at 14:59.
Old 20th May 2017, 13:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity View Post
Skoda Laura 2008 - Air Con update

@ 44,000 KM, 2.5 years: Compressor and condenser changed on Goodwill warranty (After fighting and escalation at Aurangabad). Problem was same as other owners have experienced. Lot of Switch on/off has to be done to get cooling. Compressor was not producing enough PSI.
Hey. I sort of have the same problem. The cooling has gradually lowered in last six months to the point now its more of a cooler. Last time I did servicing my mechanic told me the valve is failing but I didn't act on it because I didn't feel it all that much and also he was quoting 12K. Do you mind sharing the details of your guy?
Old 9th June 2017, 07:41   #59
BANNED

Hi,
I am sorry for hijacking this thread but decided that this was the best place, after a search. Mods may kindly relocate my post if necessary.

The Air conditioner in my Skoda Fabia 1-4 tdi 2010 has stopped working two days ago. No warning signs, no audible noises, no gradual loss of cooling, nothing! In fact only a few days ago, a friend mentioned that my car was colder than his Civic.
I checked the belt, compressor clutch, blower and associated fuses and found them all ok.
I took it to a reliable FNG at Sassoon dock, Mumbai yesterday. The gas was checked and found to be full. Finally, the scanner equipment was called for and it pointed to the compressor.

The compressor on being removed, discharged a thick black liquid with bright metal particles in it. Apparently the compressor has suffered the 'black death'. Some searching on the web indicates that the teflon seal may have disintegrated and mixed with the oil and gas to form the black liquid. This liquid, it says, travels through the system and coats all surfaces with the black soot rendering all components ineffective. The FNG owner, who is known to be reliable and honest, will disassemble the compressor and attempt its overhaul but says that the condenser, cooling coils, expansion valve etc may need to be changed if the repairs are to be effective.
If the compressor is beyond repair, then I am looking at a fully AC system replacement which may cost an arm and a leg (Skoda, remember). Given that the car is in its 7th year, but otherwise solid, what are my options. Is it worth the hefty expenditure which will be quantified in a day ? Any good sources in Mumbai for Skoda AC parts and replacements for the VW compressor? I am located, for the moment, in Mumbai.
regards
Old 9th June 2017, 08:37   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Is it worth the hefty expenditure which will be quantified in a day ? Any good sources in Mumbai for Skoda AC parts and replacements for the VW compressor?
Black death is a rarity, but a fact.

A good FNG should be able to clean the parts and make the compressor work again, however if there are some other parts which need to be replaced, I'd say that you go ahead with their replacement as well.
The best source of the compressor, if required, would be your trusted FNG since he would have contacts across suppliers and scrap mechanics at Bombay.

Let me know if you need the part and I will arrange it for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks