Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 12:54   #1
BHPian

Rusting in Alto wheel cap

I have Alto LXI which I bought in Dec 2007. I have not used it much and have donw around 3000 kms till date. The car is parked in the covered car park area in the apartment basement. Once in a week I wash the car with borewell water. The water though is bit hard. I do not use pipe to wash but wipe with wet cloth.

Last week the small plastic cap which covers the middle of the front right wheel fell off somewhere. When I checked the wheel I am able to see heavy rusting inside around the center of the wheel. It has happened on both the front wheels. The outside part of the wheel has not caught any rust.

Is this a manafacturing defect which I need to talk to Maruti? I want to clarify before I discuss with the service station guys.
Old 29th August 2009, 17:46   #2
BHPian

Pictures would help. What I can understand is the parts made of cast iron is affected, and it is perfectly normal. And, 3000 KMS from Dec 2007? Take her out man, enjoy your ride and life
Old 30th August 2009, 15:12   #3
BANNED

Sometimes rust can occur if the surface area is damaged as a result of corrosive liquids like brake fluids.

How many times have you serviced your car ?
Old 30th August 2009, 15:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I have Alto LXI which I bought in Dec 2007. I have not used it much and have donw around 3000 kms till date.
It is perfectly normal for this abnormal use of just 3000km in two years.
It would have been abnormal if you used the car normally i.e. 30000KM in two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
3000 KMS from Dec 2007? Take her out man, enjoy your ride and life
Perfect advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

How many times have you serviced your car ?
good question.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 30th August 2009 at 15:56.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:01   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Rust on steel wheels is rare in low humidity environs like Bangalore. Its probably caused as you parked your car covered in a garage with a closed door that led to the ambient humidity levels rising leading to the corossion. And 3k kms in 2 years is low. How long has the car been stationery? Do a full service with a change of all fluids before you take the car out again.

Regards,
gpa
Old 30th August 2009, 22:23   #6
BHPian

I have got the car serviced 3 times (the first 3 free services after 1 month, 6 months and 12 months). The next service is due in December this year. I use the car only during the weekends when I take my family around in Bangalore. The other 5 days I do not use the car but use my bike instead. I cover the car with car cover.

It is also not that the car parking in the basement is closed without air circulating.

I do not understand why the rusting happens even if the car is used at least once a week.
Old 30th August 2009, 22:38   #7
BHPian

Took the snap of the wheel where the rust has occured.
Attached Thumbnails
Rusting in Alto wheel cap-img_0615.jpg  

Old 31st August 2009, 07:23   #8
BANNED

Might be a normal manufacturing defect. Just replace it.

Have you checked the rear wheels for any rust ?

Also, moisture may be trapped inside the car cover.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Might be a normal manufacturing defect. Just replace it.

I am not sure is this is covered under warranty. Is the portion where the rusting happened part of the wheel rim? Any idea how much it might cost?

Have you checked the rear wheels for any rust ?

I opened the caps of the other wheels to check. The other front wheel also has similar rusting. I am not able to see the rear wheels because there are no grooves in then unlike the front wheels.

Also, moisture may be trapped inside the car cover.
I am suspecting the same. I have stopped covering the car now.
Old 31st August 2009, 10:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I have stopped covering the car now.
Minor rusting is part of car life.
Don't worry too much and don't stop to cover the car.
As your usage is low, moisture trapped after washing the car is culprit.

1] Get your car thoroughly checked for any visible rusting. If any rust observed, clean it with polish paper and apply similar shade paint.

2] After washing your car, keep the car in sunlight for some time.

3] Cover your car.

4] Drive the car for no reason and enjoy the ride. This is good for car health.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:40   #11
gpa
Senior - BHPian

From thew pic you posted, rusting in that portion is common and nothing to worry about. Just remove those hub caps and clean it off with some WD-40 and that will prevent it from forming again.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

After a through wash,take her to a small spin or park her under the sunlight at least for half-an-hour.open up all the doors etc for a while as the water seeps in between them.

Car staying idle for many months is not healthy.Burn some rubber dude.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a Dec 2005 Swift and have done around 45k kms till date. The car was treated with anti rust coating under the car at the time of delivery which has a warranty of 5 years. I live near the sea and have an open parking area. I have been experiencing rusting on the car and Ive noticed that this is an issue with all Maruti cars. I am experiencing rusting usually on the inside corners of the doors and also paint bubbling at the edges on the exterior of the doors. I had given the car for a paint job to Vitesse at Andheri (W) but thr problem has occured again after around 8 months. The Vitesse guys are willing to have the areas re-painted free of cost, but why does this bubbling and rusting occur regularly?
Old 31st August 2009, 12:31   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I had given the car for a paint job to Vitesse at Andheri (W) but thr problem has occured again after around 8 months. The Vitesse guys are willing to have the areas re-painted free of cost, but why does this bubbling and rusting occur regularly?
Hi Epic,

From the looks of it, the paint job was not properly done the last time. They would have sprayed paint over the rust which is why bubbles formed in the paint again after 8 months. The fact that they are willing to do it for free proves that they did not do a decent enough job the firt time around.

Give it to them and insist that they do a good job. Preferably, do not rush the job and give them time to complete it.

hope this helps

Regards,
gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks