Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 17:24   #1

Ford Ikon 1.3 - Strange Issue !

Hi All.

> Many Thanks in advance to any of your insights <

I own a Fork Ikon 1.3 2001 model. Lately(since 2-3 months), I've been experiencing a very strange issue with my car's electrical system(I think).

Problem
While the car is in running,all of a sudden, it goes into what I call, a heart-seizure mode, and relents only after a good 1-2 mins. And this mode keeps happening 20% of car running time, with no specified intervals.

This is how the "heart-seizure" mode sounds like ......
1. Car is running normally for a good 10 mins( any rpm/gear )
2. Suddenly, a short low ping(electrical) sound is heard.
After that .....
3. The headlights intensity 2-3 times over
4. The engine is down to half its power.(have to use clutch incessantly to avoid engine shut off during gear-change).
5. There is a loud whining sound from under the hood(suspect the timing belt).
6.The "Exhaust" button(in Ikons) gets switched off during the entire seizure period.
7. Radio *does not* lose power nor does any other electrical device, infact they seem to get more voltage !
8. Wipers oscillate faster(level-1 oscillates as fast as level-2), indicators fluctuate at double the rate.
9. Happens even if replaced with a new PCM(ECM).
10. In short, it feels like the engine has just had a "siezure" and its gone hyper!

To me it sounds like, Every now and then, the alternator seems to be malfunctionin(for 2-3 mins ) and entire load gets placed on battery which creates the strange behavior, but somehow, the alternator seems to kick back and everything seems to come back to normal.

Alternator ? Voltage regulator ? Timing Belt ?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Old 31st August 2009, 18:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bro, seems like the regulator in the alternator is the culprit, Suggest u get this looked at asap. Could blow a lot of electrical applications in the car!

A voltage test at a battery wala will paint the exact picture.
Old 31st August 2009, 18:51   #3
BHPian

As humyum has mentioned the regulator seems to be faulty. However since you get a whining noise, I suspect that the alternator bearing is also giving way. I would suggest you visit the dealership / workshop and ask them to check the alternator.
Old 31st August 2009, 18:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Alternator regulator, loose connection resulting in some sort of shorting etc. Get it checked asap before you start burning more expensive stuff! Doesnt sound like timing and which model is this? if its Rocam engine it doesnt have belt, instead has chains for timing cam.

6) You are referring to AC recirculation? Maybe a good idea to do an AC electrical check, compressor especially for any seizure, compressor clutch slippage.

Something related to electricals, more like a power surge is my guess.
Old 31st August 2009, 20:07   #5
jav
BHPian

I had this same problem in my V2, the regulator was faulty and giving output of 20+ volts instead of 14v, got all my bulbs fused due to high voltage .

please get the alternator checked.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:19   #6

Thanks

All, Thanks for your quick help.

As advised by you, Will b taking the car for an Alternator check. Hope none of the electric apps have had any damage!

Will update the cause and resolution tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks