Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 21:05   #16
BHPian

Hey don't worry. Coolant leaking is a very small issue. Had this problem on my old Alto and the service advisor found the hose detached.

They did compensate by refilling the coolant box.
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:57   #17
BHPian

Now my main concern is building back trust on car. My biggest fear is of being stranded on lonely roads, specially since i travel with family.
:(

And i was taking bullet-proof reliability for granted.
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
hi All,

I purchased a Linea Dynamic Diesel, last weekend. Have run it @455 kms till now. Yesterday there was a problem with it..
The engine temperature went all the way till HIGH and i got a warning message asking me to pull over and shut down the engine, which i did.

On checking the coolant level, i found that the container was empty. Filled some packaged drinking water, and carried on till the nearest petrol pump, where i filled up the coolant till the required level. The temperature was then perfect.
I had the same problem of the Engine Temperature rising on my Maruthi-800 when new. On inspection the coolant reservoir was found empty. After filling up again the vehicle runs with out any problem for a couple of days. And then again the problem started. The actual prblem was traced to a sticky Thermostatic valve in the water coolant circulation system. This valve is to make sure that the engine reaches the correct operating temperature in the shortest time by circulation the coolant in the engine block itself and then opens the coolant path to the radiator. This valve was not opening and the coolant starts boiling and suddenly the valve opens and the steam blows all the coolant in the reservoir out.through the cap.
The dealer adviced me to do away with the valve as our ambient temperature never reaches any where near "0" where the thermoststic valve is required to get the engine to operating temperature very fast. Removal of the valve solved the problem and never reappared for the last 22 years.

One small advice. Never top up the coolant with (tap) water. Use the recommanded coolant / distilled water mixture. Minarels in our water eats away the aluminium alloy of the engine.
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
I had the same problem of the Engine Temperature rising on my Maruthi-800 when new. On inspection the coolant reservoir was found empty. After filling up again the vehicle runs with out any problem for a couple of days. And then again the problem started. The actual prblem was traced to a sticky Thermostatic valve in the water coolant circulation system. This valve is to make sure that the engine reaches the correct operating temperature in the shortest time by circulation the coolant in the engine block itself and then opens the coolant path to the radiator. This valve was not opening and the coolant starts boiling and suddenly the valve opens and the steam blows all the coolant in the reservoir out.through the cap.
The dealer adviced me to do away with the valve as our ambient temperature never reaches any where near "0" where the thermoststic valve is required to get the engine to operating temperature very fast. Removal of the valve solved the problem and never reappared for the last 22 years.

One small advice. Never top up the coolant with (tap) water. Use the recommanded coolant / distilled water mixture. Minarels in our water eats away the aluminium alloy of the engine.
That is indeed a very unique experience. But I'm surprised that you never asked for a replacement even though your car would have been in the warranty period then.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:04   #20
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Now my main concern is building back trust on car. My biggest fear is of being stranded on lonely roads, specially since i travel with family.
:(

And i was taking bullet-proof reliability for granted.
Hrishi i think your concern is valid. But being one of the earlier linea owners ive had my linea for 7 months and if it makes you feel better my car had a diesel leak issue within 40 mins of delivery. LOL and yes the blown fuse 2 days back. But I mean 2 minor issues compared to a failed fuel pump or something worse.

The car is pretty tough! Even marutis and hondas have one or two breakdowns for any reason in 6 months or so. I mean look at the german built VW passat and the horror skoda breakdowns. Its just a bad coincidence that your issue happened on the 4th or 5th day.

Give the car a little time to redeem itself and you fall in love with it.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:21   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Guys, engine overheating whatever be the reason is certainly NOT a small issue. If one fails to notice the warnings (low oil, low coolant), you could blow your engine. So kindly keep this in mind. I have often noticed many people hardly ever look at the temperature gauge while driving. Do keep an eye on it from time to time. You never know..
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:32   #22
JRD
BHPian

in the linea you cannot ignore it. That annoying beep will make you read even if you are blind
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
in the linea you cannot ignore it. That annoying beep will make you read even if you are blind
+1 to that. Most of the anomalies are displayed in the MID and there will be a warning beep too. But yeah, keeping an eye over the temp' guage should not be overlooked.
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:00   #24
BHPian

This sort of things happen and it takes away confidence and trust. Even things as simple as disconnected speedo took away a lot of peace from me, wondering how I would start my engine breakin.

Now I believe that the car is pretty reliable (driven about 11000 Km now) and also believe that even if some exceptional problem arises, Fiat would be serious about correcting it. I had so far replaced something from the steering (some sort of boulder I guess, can't recollect) as it was giving some sort of sound (audible only when paying a lot of attention) during steering turns at idle. I had driven to badly worn out ghat roads twice and in flooded water twice before that and thus cannot comment on the reason of the fault. But the fact is that the service manager sat inside with me to listen to the feeble sound and they replaced the affected part within warranty.

Hope the same belief and faith comes once you have driven the car for say 10000 Km. Till then, I hope some stories like mine consoles you
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:34   #25
BANNED

Actually, the thread title seems to cause confusion.
The real issue is not overheating. The real issue is cracked/ leaked coolant tank. When there is no coolant, obviously, its going to overheat
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ihrishi,

Dont be worried about the bullet proof reliability of the Linea.

I just did a 3days/1600KM drive from Chennai to Kerala and in 70% heavy rain, the Linea was so sweet and I am currently busy writing loads about my experience.

I just want to wish you that the problem is resolved at the earliest.
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
dont get tensed there are small problems that can be rectified. These are mainly due to the bad plastics used outsourced from tata.

do contact fastlove and others who are in mumbai who can help you in addressing the issue
You talk as if you are the guy who sources these plastics! Thank TATA for bringing you your Linea and servicing it for you!
And dont blame FIAT's incompetency on a tata! ... doesnt make things for FIAT any better!
And as far as TATA vehicles are concerned, have never heard of one failing within its first week/1000 kms.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Two Things:

1) It is bad that a new car had this fault. If my 4 day old i20 had developed a similar fault, i ll rip Hyundai a new one.

2) It is much worse that a part, which is known to be a potential problem, is not in stock. A T joint is not enough reason to ground a car for 4 days.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 3rd September 2009 at 22:44.
Old 4th September 2009, 07:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
This can happen with any car, just like 1 owner who faced ECM problems with his Ritz which can be 1 in 1000 cases as such problems are not normal ones.
Except that Ritz sells some 6+ times of Linea
Old 4th September 2009, 08:40   #30
BANNED

I think FIAT is taking care of these early niggles by improving the quality of the materials used in LINEA/GP. The recently announced price hike is just a sign of that.

But for a new owner its really frustrating experience that his/her car is letting him down in the initial days of ownership.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed