Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 00:11   #1
CDM
BHPian

Innova Shock Absorber Failure

The right rear shock absorber on my Innova G4 Diesel has leaked (almost all the oil appears to have leaked out). The car is a 2007 model and has done only 40K K.M.

I am told by some friends that both the rear shock absorbers should be replaced at the same time.

My question is, do I need to replace both the rear shock absorbers and if so, will both or only the one that has leaked or neither be covered under the warranty?

I could not find anyone who has faced a similar problem. Shall be grateful for any guidance in the matter.

CDM
Old 4th September 2009, 00:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
The right rear shock absorber on my Innova G4 Diesel has leaked (almost all the oil appears to have leaked out). The car is a 2007 model and has done only 40K K.M.

I am told by some friends that both the rear shock absorbers should be replaced at the same time.

My question is, do I need to replace both the rear shock absorbers and if so, will both or only the one that has leaked or neither be covered under the warranty?

I could not find anyone who has faced a similar problem. Shall be grateful for any guidance in the matter.

CDM
your car should be in warranty and i think they should replace it under warranty. i think they will replace only one.
Old 4th September 2009, 09:30   #3
BANNED

If the car has done under 15k I may say changing only one may be Ok. At 40000 you should change the pair.
Old 5th September 2009, 16:11   #4
CDM
BHPian

Thanks akshay1234 and sgiitk.

I am taking the Innova in tomorrow to the dealer workshop. Lets see what they say.

CDM
Old 25th November 2009, 00:25   #5
CDM
BHPian

Sorry for responding so late on this thread. There was a bereavement in the family on the day I was supposed to get the shocker replaced and it just got put off for some time. The damaged shocker has now been replaced under warranty.

However, I still feel that my Innova does not ride very comfortably. I have tried other Innovas and feel that they ride better. Cannot fugure out whether the problem is in the car or in my mind.

Are there any proffessional bhpian in the NCR who can check this for me, naturally on a professional basis?

CDM
Old 25th November 2009, 15:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since it has done 40K, you can also replace the left one as well. You can find the difference after changing the absorber. Anyways push down with both your hands on either side of the bonnet and check whether it bounce back. Else get checked when you visit A.S.S.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Since it has done 40K, you can also replace the left one as well. You can find the difference after changing the absorber. Anyways push down with both your hands on either side of the bonnet and check whether it bounce back. Else get checked when you visit A.S.S.
To add to Ram, the test is that you press it and leave it - it should rise back. However, after that it should not go down again and keep bouncing. If it does, the shocks have gone too soft and the struts would need to be changed.
Further, the bouncing test can be done driving in a desolate place at ~ 15 kmph and braking suddenly. If the car keeps bouncing, shocks are gone.

See the link below:

A Primer on Suspension Testing

Further, I would say never change only one side's shock - it could lead to differing levels of stiffness in the ride and can affect handling negatively too.
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 15th April 2013, 15:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Indigo XL Grand Dicor Rear Shock Absorbers Bottom out.

28KKms ago, I replaced the Rear Shock Absorbers of our Indigo XL Grand Dicor.
Now the Shocks are bottoming on every small bump. So thought of replacing with new ones.
I went to Pandit Automotive, Tilak Rd, Pune to find out they did not have these in stock. So went to Satara Rd, Pune Branch just to buy only the left one since they too did not have the RH one in stock. In fact the Store keeper there was trying to sell me "USED" and "LEAKING" RH Shock (there was so much dust on that Shock to which he replied "The Environment in the Factory itself might not have been clean at the time of Packing of this Shock, hence its so dusty" but he loved to keep silence on indication of oil leak from below the rubber boot) but was unsuccessful in his mission. I bought only the LH from them for Rs.5198/-.
I had gone to Kolhapur yesterday from Pune, but since yesterday was Sunday, I could not fetch the RH Shock there too.
Today in Solapur, when I enquired at the local Spares Shop (Aadish Agencies) who stocks Tata-Fiat Spares, he tried to sell me Normal Indigo's Shocks which are different from the LWB Indigo's. Even the part no. was different from LWB one's.
So dropped the idea of buying from him too.
Then I understood that 28KKms ago (in Nov. 2011), this shop had deliberately sold me the Rear Shocks of Normal Indigo instead of LWB's that too for 150% of price of Normal Indigo [MRP Normal Indigo's- Rs.3.5K each while MRP LWB Indigo-4.4K (Prices at Pandit Automotive, Pune in Nov. 2011)].
I too unknowingly bought those (for Rs.5.2K each) at Aadish Agencies and replaced Rear Shocks of our Indigo XL's with them. But at least both the rear ones were of Normal Indigo. Now I have only one Brand New Gas Charged Rear Shock of Indigo XL (LWB) LH with me.

I know it sounds but which out of the following would you advise--
1) Should I wait till I get the RH one of LWB and then replace them at the same time or
2) Can I replace the LH one with New (which I have) now and get the alignment done (Indigo has rear Toe Setting) and replace the RH after getting Correct one and then get the alignment done
?

What are the disadvantages of Solution No.2 above?
There is no definite time period as to when would I get the RH Shock. It might take 2-3 weeks or even 2-3 months.
My distance usage is not constant.
Please advise me correctly considering all the above points.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 15th April 2013 at 15:44. Reason: Corrected Typo Errors.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Innova Shock Absorber Failure

Wait till you get the RH shock and then change both. It would be better than having 2 different shocks.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks