Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 16:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
95RON is the standard Premium Petrol under the EIII/EIV specs. Someone did not bother. I have a feeling that the standard 91RON will be adequate (in all EIII ciies) and if you get IOC XP (93RON) it is within tolerance of 95RON. I will not pay Rs.10 a litre extra for 97RON even if available.

Modern ECUs with their knock sensors will be able to detune the engine slightly if required.
That depends, Well I would certainly not mind paying that extra money for maintaining my valued car to the optimum, Moreover the sole reason to purchase a petrol V6 is performance and anything less and the whole money spent is futile. Moreover as per the manual and reply by Skoda ASD, it is absolutely clear that RON 91 can only be used in case of emergency for medium speed and low load conditions, However in long run it will definitely effect the overall life of the engine.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cylinder pressure is the final arbiter. However, you can have high static CR and still run low octane fuel. But you need to use cams that will bleed off some of that pressure and reduce dynamic compression ratio. You can have an engine run 13:1 SCR and still run on 91RON. It'll just take eons to reach 5500RPM or more before it starts making power because of the massive cams it'll require. But the Superb's engine isn't anything like that. It's USP is the massive amounts of torque that is available from low RPMs. Therefore it isn't compromising with nutso cams. Therefore it requires high octane fuel.
If an engine has a higher comp pressure, it should show in the torque figures.

Take the RS for example, i think it runs a 9.5:1 comp ratio (?) and is still able to produce 116nm/ltr while the Superb with 12.5:1 (as mentioned by you) can only do 97nm/ltr.

This basically means that the cylinder comp pressure in the Superb's engine is lower than that of the RS.

Quote:
Umm, the reason FI engines produce more torque is because more air + more fuel = bigger bang = more motive force. Also dynamic compression ratio matters and I'm not that well versed in hardcore engine building to talk about how.
Exactly, what does more air/fuel in the cylinder equate to? Higher cylinder pressure which releases a much larger amount of energy pushing the piston with a much greater force, resulting in increased torque at the crank.

Heres a nice article on the same.
United Engine and Machine Co.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th September 2009 at 17:22.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Anyway, before this turns into another never ending arguement, lets switch back to the Skoda issue as to what would happen if the car was to face probs while running on 91ron.

We can prob shift the "whether it needs 95ron" discussion to another thread.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th September 2009 at 17:38.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:40   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have it as confirmed from a senior Skoda technician that 95+ octane is the minimum that the 3.6 engine needs. Don't run it on a diet any lower than that.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have it as confirmed from a senior Skoda technician that 95+ octane is the minimum that the 3.6 engine needs. Don't run it on a diet any lower than that.
If that is the case I think all the more reason to believe that Skoda deliberately mislead the customer (for me Skoda is everything from the company to the dealer + the executive who is manning the table at the dealership) by not informing off this when the car was sold out of a city where the required quality of fuel is not available. Would it mean you go all the way to say Chandigarh to fill fuel every time? Strange.
Old 11th September 2009, 23:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I appreciate your effort GTO, But what should we do now ? Due to non availability of the specified grade of petrol, its impossible to drive the car.

Can something be done through consumer court/any other civil or legal body, through which we can claim the refund, moreover agencies can also be held responsible for misselling their products.

Also raises the questions marks on Skoda India, as How can they sell the specific model of the car for which the required fuel is not available.
Help
Old 11th September 2009, 23:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
If that is the case I think all the more reason to believe that Skoda deliberately mislead the customer (for me Skoda is everything from the company to the dealer + the executive who is manning the table at the dealership) by not informing off this when the car was sold out of a city where the required quality of fuel is not available. Would it mean you go all the way to say Chandigarh to fill fuel every time? Strange.
Nope, its not available in Chandigarh as well
Old 12th September 2009, 16:53   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
I appreciate your effort GTO, But what should we do now ? Due to non availability of the specified grade of petrol, its impossible to drive the car.

Can something be done through consumer court/any other civil or legal body, through which we can claim the refund, moreover agencies can also be held responsible for misselling their products.
In an ideal world, every salesman would know his product inside out. But c'mon, we all know the average product knowledge level of the car salesmen out there. Though the salesperson is at fault, I'd put equal blame on the car owner for not researching properly. Its clearly mentioned in the manual too.

Are you sure high octane fuel is not available in New Delhi / Chandigarh, with all those S & 7 series running around? I guess your only solution then is to try experimenting with octane boosters or something.
Old 12th September 2009, 17:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
In an ideal world, every salesman would know his product inside out. But c'mon, we all know the average product knowledge level of the car salesmen out there. Though the salesperson is at fault, I'd put equal blame on the car owner for not researching properly. Its clearly mentioned in the manual too.

Are you sure high octane fuel is not available in New Delhi / Chandigarh, with all those S & 7 series running around? I guess your only solution then is to try experimenting with octane boosters or something.
I understand that the same has been clearly mentioned in the manual, however under ideal circumstances one usually doesn't go through the manual before purchase (infact many don't bother to look into, even after years of ownership).

Moreover my friend is resident of Ambala city (Haryana) and RON 95/97 is not available in Haryana and Chandigarh. Its very much available in New Delhi but then that is approx. 200 km from Ambala (that in only Delhi border add atleast 25-30 km more for required bunker). So its practically impossible to go to Delhi for the refill (specially when the mileage is also too low).

Lastly it has been clearly stated in the Manual that any addition or octane booster or similar product might damage the engine and void the warranty (Please refer to earlier post in the same thread with scanned copy of the manual).

Please Help.
Old 13th September 2009, 17:12   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I face a similar problem but I blame no one but myself for not having looked into this earlier that the car requires 95 Octane. Although I have the 1.8 Superb that I has been running fine on 91 petrol for the past 2500kms but I am sure the ECU has detuned itself and probably not delivering the promised 0 to 100km/hr in 8.5 seconds. Even in a big city like Bombay it's not as easy to find a higher octane fuel pump.
I suggest you friend uses octane boosters, do some research as most don't work but with trial and error he should get it sorted.
GTO- can you check with your skoda contact of the 1.8 engine can handle 91 with detune over a long period? I don't see why not as most RS's have run fine with 91, ofcourse without getting the full engine juice.
Old 13th September 2009, 18:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

@turbohead
97 octane is available in ludhiana,in case that helps
Old 13th September 2009, 19:02   #27
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Is the issue really only about the salesman's lack of knowledge? I seriously doubt that. The dealer would still be selling the same car to unsuspecting buyers knowing fully well that the car cannot be run on fuel regularly available in the city.

How many people check the manual is such detail before buying a car? We cannot and should not absolve the dealership of the blame here. In fact, I strongly suggest that the owner of this car take a legal opinion on this entire issue.

I can almost guarantee that if there is an engine related issue, skoda will wash it's hands off the warranty stating 'poor quality fuel'. This is just so sad for a person who has spent this kind of money on a car.

Last edited by shekharlele : 13th September 2009 at 19:06.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
@turbohead
97 octane is available in ludhiana,in case that helps
Thanks for the info Akshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Hi GTO,

Is the issue really only about the salesman's lack of knowledge? I seriously doubt that. The dealer would still be selling the same car to unsuspecting buyers knowing fully well that the car cannot be run on fuel regularly available in the city.

How many people check the manual is such detail before buying a car? We cannot and should not absolve the dealership of the blame here. In fact, I strongly suggest that the owner of this car take a legal opinion on this entire issue.

I can almost guarantee that if there is an engine related issue, skoda will wash it's hands off the warranty stating 'poor quality fuel'. This is just so sad for a person who has spent this kind of money on a car.
^+ Exactly, Infact that is the purpose of this thread, to bring things in notice of unsuspecting buyers and to take leagal advice agaisnt such manufacturers/dealers who are taking disadvantage of innocent buyers.
Old 14th September 2009, 21:06   #29
BHPian

what everyone here is missing is has he noticed deto? if not take a chill pill! that should put an end to the discussion.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:53   #30
BHPian

Deto ??? I could not understand what you mean to say, Please elaborate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks