Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 22:28   #1
Rai
BANNED

Fiat Petra - Fuel Tank Cover

Hello All,
On my recent travel from Bangalore to Mangalore to Bangalore, I found that my average (Mileage) reduced drastically. I took the vehicle to Dealer and it was found that, the fuel Tank was Damaged (Thanks to Bangalore -Mangalore Road) and fuel was dripping slowly.
Dealer told me that, it will take time to order new Tank and hence only option is to 'Weld' the damages, for which I agreed.
I asked if there is any Under-Cover for Fuel Tank in Fiat Petra and he said NO.
Is this True? Fiat Petra doesn't have Fuel Tank Under-Cover? Is this true is other cars too?
Old 12th September 2009, 11:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

You mean a fuel tank guard? like a sump guard? i guess you can get it custom made at any mechanic who prepares rally cars.
Old 12th September 2009, 17:34   #3
DRC
BHPian

hmmm.... same road, same car, same problem!! Sorry to hear that.

I drove for 2 years with the leaking tank with m-seal stuck underneath. Finally got the tank changed for 5.5K.
Yes, the tank is very vulnerable. no gaurd nothing (i have not heard any car having it Gurus please confirm). The sheet metal is too thin and can not take welding either. May be we can fabricate a gaurd and fit.

Also, I heard some cars have PVC tank and are very difficult to fix.
Old 12th September 2009, 21:21   #4
BHPian

Mr. Rai, you are really fortunate to have only damaged fuel tank. Only tanks will survive on this Mangalore-Bangalore road.
What I suggest is that, remove the fuel tank carefully, weld it, apply anti-rust base paint, finally cover it with good enamel paint. You'll not have any problems for years. Ready made fuel tank guards are not available for petra. If you know any one who fabricates tin or aluminum sheets,(or vehicle body tinkers) ask them to fabricate guard for the fuel tank.( you can see fuel tank guards in Mahindra Bolero pick-ups)
Take care.
Old 12th September 2009, 21:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Dealer told me that, it will take time to order new Tank and hence only option is to 'Weld' the damages, for which I agreed.
Please ENSURE you remove all petrol, purge the Tank with nitrogen or air before welding.

I'd have suggested steam/water wash but that will result in other issues post welding.

Again Please ensure an air/nitrogen purge before welding
Old 13th September 2009, 20:49   #6
Rai
BANNED

Fuel Tank Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Please ENSURE you remove all petrol, purge the Tank with nitrogen or air before welding.

I'd have suggested steam/water wash but that will result in other issues post welding.

Again Please ensure an air/nitrogen purge before welding
YES, when Dealer suggested me Welding, the first question I asked is regarding this only. Then they assured me that, they know the procedure and they are very well aware of the problems if they don't keep strict adherence to this procedure. In-fact, they are saying, now a days, atleast one or Two Vehicle per week they are getting with same Problem.
Customer will normally come with Mileage Problem itseems. and these folks check for Fuel Tank Damage or Fuel Pipe Damage as a first check itseems.
Last friday I got my problem fixed and now city average/Mileage is back to Normal. 9.5 KM to 10 KMS with 100% AC. I didn't do long drive after the fix. But I expect it to be normal, around 14.5 KMs with 100% AC. (Infact I didn't notice any mileage difference with AC ON or Off)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks