Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2005, 13:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

santro idling

Hi,

I bought a 2nd hand santro like 2 months ago, and I observed that at many times, the engine races by itself (say when I come home and about to park it, as soon as it goes in neutral, it races for about 2 mins, and then comes back to normal.

I first thought may be it's trying to charge the depleted battery or something like that. but just wanted to be sure that it's good.

-viv
Old 12th July 2005, 13:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is absolutely normal with microprocessor controlled engines. Engine will frequently increase its rpm if its having power steering (during steering). during parking this will be more visible due to reduced outside noise. Just check the idle RPM at some service station and make sure that its within the limit.
Old 12th July 2005, 15:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
Hi,I bought a 2nd hand santro like 2 months ago, and I observed that at many times, the engine races by itself (say when I come home and about to park it, as soon as it goes in neutral, it races for about 2 mins, and then comes back to normal.
Hi Viv,

My 40K kms Santro LE showed the same tantrums a few months ago. At times the motor would also die if i were waiting at a signal with the clutch pressed and nothing on the gas pedal!
Took the car to Hyundai Authorizded SS. The service chappie connected a handheld electronic gadget (with a large LCD display - called it "the computer") and showed me that the idling revs were totally off-spec. Opened the bonnet, adjusted some unit near the top left/middle area and voila! the readings were OK. He also commented that at times there is a situation wherein the idle revs controller has to be replaced too (be careful on that count).

Allz been well after that.

BTW, the adjustment was Gratis

Cheers
Old 12th July 2005, 15:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

great, thanks.
I guess i need a visit to the service center too. Was too confident about the resaling mechanic :-)
Old 14th July 2005, 00:10   #5
BHPian

My Santro 80K+ KM devolped similar problem The revs would increase when I pressed the clutch or would start with a jerk and pick rpm suddenely. The Guys at Sharayu Hundai informed me that a baffel vale after 60 K+ requires a diffrent whole . Thsi is spicially true for before 2000 models. after the replacement ( free of charge) all was well. Done as part of routine service
Old 8th December 2010, 09:48   #6
BHPian

Santro Idling - Peculiar Solution

Hi,

I got my Santro 2000 model serviced from a garage last Sunday during which Battery was disconnected. While driving back home after service, I noticed that engine was idling rough but thought that since battery was disconnected, the engine ECU may have lost previous settings and would return to normal after sometime.

But the problem persisted. The engine would shudder terribly during idle like it is a diesel engine or fuel starved and would die down. The problem remained while in motion in various gears making it very difficult to drive. And adding to that, the engine would get stalled frequently. I somehow drove back to the garage the next day, thinking that the mechanic might clean injector, check distributor, plugs etc. But to my surprise he popped open a small rubber cap on top of intake manifold (behind throttle body) and made some adjustment to the screw inside. The idling returned to normal. He told me that it is vacuum / oxygen sensor setting which had to be adjusted.

Later while searching internet, I leaned that there are two such screws on intake manifold. Enlightened people, please share some light on this subject for want of my curiosity

Thanks
Old 8th December 2010, 10:23   #7
BHPian

Re: santro idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Hi,

I bought a 2nd hand santro like 2 months ago, and I observed that at many times, the engine races by itself (say when I come home and about to park it, as soon as it goes in neutral, it races for about 2 mins, and then comes back to normal.

I first thought may be it's trying to charge the depleted battery or something like that. but just wanted to be sure that it's good.
-viv
Happens with me too sometimes. Well, it may also be because the ECU is trying to raise the engine's temperature (to standard running temperature) by increasing the RPM.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:20   #8
BHPian

Re: santro idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Hi,

Don't worry, this is normal behaviour of Santro, particularly the 1st gen models. We have one 1999 model/non-power steering and from day one it's behaving like you said. No problems so far even after 12 years. Have consulted the service centre and they too said it's normal.
There is another 4 year old Santro eRLX with power steering which my wife drives and that too does the same thing, though in a more milder way. i.e less noisy and less frequently.

I observed the same behaviour even in the Figo 1.2 petrol. i guess all ECU equipped cars do that, and the Santro does it in a more louder way

Last edited by Daewood : 8th December 2010 at 12:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks