Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 10:28   #16
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Next ask them to check the axles.if the driving axles are slightly bent.even by 1 mm they can upset the revolving balance of the axle which can be a cause.
If the car has taken a hard shunt, then this could well be the cause of the wobbling. Get the axels, the suspension mounts and anti-roll bars checked. Then get your wheels balanced and aligned and this problem should disappear.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post

Almost an year back, I had an accident in which an alto hit my left fender. Though it was a real bad hit, only fender got damaged. I did check any marks in alloy to see whether it hit my wheel also, but nothing was obvious. May be something went wrong with this bang..

.. :(
Have a good mechanic / bodyshop check the hebrons, frame(s) etc. for damage. I think the Civis are designed to deform on impact, this shunt may have thrown the wheels out of sync or otherwise mucked up the alignment.

Cheers,
Old 14th September 2009, 16:25   #18
BANNED

I am going to the dealer day after tomorrow. Will keep you posted..

Also planning to take a day off from work to attend this 'problem baby' ..
Old 14th September 2009, 17:44   #19
BHPian

I had a similar issue, with my car after a shunt, a cyclist hit my car as it was taking a turn. And this somehow managed to bend my front strut. We figured this out after a year. Go to honda and ask them to put you car on a chassis dynamics machine. Its called the 'Caroliner" and check if your dimensions are all tip top. All the best.

I seriously doubt that this is the case though. And its more to do with your wheel balancing/ uneven wear.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:22   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivred View Post
I had a similar issue, with my car after a shunt, a cyclist hit my car as it was taking a turn. And this somehow managed to bend my front strut. We figured this out after a year. Go to honda and ask them to put you car on a chassis dynamics machine. Its called the 'Caroliner" and check if your dimensions are all tip top. All the best.

I seriously doubt that this is the case though. And its more to do with your wheel balancing/ uneven wear.
I have a long pending rattle from left fender, after the accident. As per the service engineer, one of the welding point near front shock got displaced. They welded it back, but issue reoccurred again. I have been visiting honda couple of times for this.

So all looks related.. i.e this rattle and the current wobbling I am facing.

I will go to honda with more terminologies (probably a print out of this discussion itself)
Old 14th September 2009, 21:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

What shivred said is right.ask them to put the car on the caroliner.its a machine used to straighten out any chassis deformities.it'll also tell you of any suspension deformities.if there is a problem in the suspension alignment it'll point it out and you can have it sorted out.but it is a long and tiring process and the honda guys may even charge you for it and its not that cheap.
Old 11th October 2009, 10:03   #22
BANNED

Some update on this.

Wheel balancing was the culprit !!.

Did wheel balancing at honda service station itself , I tested it y'day upto 150 kmph; and didn't feel any exceptional vibrations. Service Manager was given me some assurance that it will solve the issue, and I went for it.
Old 12th October 2009, 00:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

swap the rear tyres with the front tyres every 10k kms and balance them!

you will never get this problem again!
Old 12th October 2009, 05:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Some update on this.

Wheel balancing was the culprit !!.

Did wheel balancing at honda service station itself , I tested it y'day upto 150 kmph; and didn't feel any exceptional vibrations. Service Manager was given me some assurance that it will solve the issue, and I went for it.
Wheels off balance alone will not result in wobbling at high speed. It will give off vibrations. Wobbling happens due to play in the steering system and or faulty tierod ends. In this case Off Balance front wheels will compound the wobbling.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:59   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Wheels off balance alone will not result in wobbling at high speed. It will give off vibrations. Wobbling happens due to play in the steering system and or faulty tierod ends. In this case Off Balance front wheels will compound the wobbling.
Even I was also under the same impression, but I didn't get any wobbling till 150. I couldn't find a road near chennai where I can go above 150.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:36   #26
BHPian

had a similar problem in my civic.. reason was worn out brake pads. your car has only done 10k, so its highly unlikely that your brake pads are worn out but do get a check just to be sure.

if you reach 120-130 and then brake for a full halt without any noise/brake discomfort, it would count for a quick check.
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:04   #27
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic wobbling at high speed

Hi all:

Bumping this thread as I have a similar problem..

Got myself a brand new City and its not even a month (approx. 900 kms on the odo) when the car which is gliding like a warm knife through butter starts wobbling as soon as I cross the 100 kmph mark.. Being a new car I do not go very fast but whenever it touches 100 the car starts wobbling.. basically bobs up and down.. this is a new car.. no accidents.. nothing.. any idea what could be? The first free service is due shortly.. so wanted to check with the bhpians as to what I should tell the service station to look for.. Is it likely to be just a case of wheel balancing as it was for the OP.. or could it be something else... hoping its nothing serious!!!

Thanks much
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:47   #28
BHPian

2010 Verna Crdi - Steering wobble at High Speeds!!

My Verna Crdi ( 2010 ) has a serious shake on the steering on high speeds when there is a gentle tap on the brake pedal, please note only on higher speeds.

1) Trident Bangalore got both the front rotors machined to no avail.

2) They replaced just the rotors today.

I haven't really got a chance to test the car post the replacement, yet I wonder :-

1) Must the pads be replaced too? In my understanding it's not safe to retain the older pads, especially understanding that the cause of older disk warping out is not known, am I wrong? I asked Trident to replace the pads too, but they said they were good enough to last for atleast another 10,000 kilometeres, & besides they don't offer warranty on pads. Would you suggest me to pressurize them to replace the pads too? or is it ok the way it is. The car has 16K on odometer.

2) In case they say it is not needed, or they say I could get them replaced at my own cost, must I be replacing them? If yes, isn't Bosch a better product since they offer asbestos free pads? Are there any other better or recommended brands for Verna Crdi? Also please educate if replacing the stock with a third party pad will hamper the warranty.

3) Trident was adamant on even replacing the rotors & wanted to machine them one more time. I had to raise a complaint against them to Hyundai India to get this resolved. I recall one of their advisers telling me that generally when they do replacement, they do it with a re-furbished part only. Confused & agonized, I raised a complaint & they replaced it for real. I wonder if they replace the parts with newer ones under warranty, & that he made up that story of refurbished parts just to discourage me from getting a replacement before the complaint was raised.

Mods, I know my questions could be silly, or that there may be postings in that past that could either in solo or consolidated way answer my questions, please feel free to move this or merge it into another existing and alive posting. I couldn't find any alive listing where in I could ask my questions. Thanks. - Vig

Last edited by avigster : 22nd February 2012 at 22:54.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:11   #29
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2010 Verna Crdi - Steering wobble at High Speeds!!

At 16,000 kms I don't think you really need to replace your pads, unless you push the car (which I would not recommend for a Verna). The first thing for you to do is to see whether the issue is still there or not. If not then you have nothing to worry about, the disks will have to be resurfaced when you finally do change the pads. If the issue is still there, then you may have to replace the pads now. But first you need to see if its fixed or not.

EDIT - No I doubt they would use refurbished parts that service advisor was probably talking crap. IMO you should have tested the car first before posting this thread.

EDIT 2 - Vinit.merchant - My friend he has mentioned the rotors have been replaced. Request you to read the full post.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 22nd February 2012 at 23:19.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

I experienced it once in my car, and the problem was diagnosed to the discs. A very slight bend in one of the discs.
Once that was replaced, things were back to normal.
You can ask the SA to check both discs once for any slight bend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks