Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:27   #31
BHPian

Re: 2010 Verna Crdi - Steering wobble at High Speeds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
At 16,000 kms I don't think you really need to replace your pads, unless you push the car (which I would not recommend for a Verna). The first thing for you to do is to see whether the issue is still there or not. If not then you have nothing to worry about, the disks will have to be resurfaced when you finally do change the pads. If the issue is still there, then you may have to replace the pads now. But first you need to see if its fixed or not.

EDIT - No I doubt they would use refurbished parts that service advisor was probably talking crap. IMO you should have tested the car first before posting this thread.

EDIT 2 - Vinit.merchant - My friend he has mentioned the rotors have been replaced. Request you to read the full post.

Thanks Akshay..

Testing is NOT going to help as I know the problem arises only after a generous spin, ie > 50 kilometers. My Basic doubts were if I must replace the pads too, in reference to an understanding that always replace your pads when you replace your rotors. I wanted to know if my understanding was wrong & that if there were any exceptions. Would you recommed bosch or any other pads over the hyundai Genuine Parts? Thanks again.

P.S. Why must NOT a Crdi Verna be Pushed?

Last edited by avigster : 22nd February 2012 at 23:31.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:32   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post
Thanks Akshay..

Testing is NOT going to help as I know the problem arises only after a generous spin, ie > 50 kilometers. My Basic doubts were if I must replace the pads too, in reference to an understanding that always replace your pads when you replace your rotors. I wanted to know if my understanding was wrong & that if there were any exceptions. Would you recommed bosch or any other pads over the hyundai Genuine Parts? Thanks again.

P.S. Why must NOT a Crdi Verna Pushed?
In that case mentioning that in your opening post would have helped. Maybe your rotors were getting a bit warped when they heated up. Anyway it should be solved now. There is no hard and fast rule that the pads and rotors have to be changed together. Just that if pads are being changed then rotors should be skimmed so that the pad has a fresh surface to bed into.

The Verna handles like a boat and can get unpredictable. I suggest you upgrade the shocks to Konis or Bilsteins if you plan on keeping the car for a while. It will improve the stability and the ride.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:51   #33
BHPian

I had the same issue in my Verna Crdi at ~20K kms which turned out to be uneven discs. Once they were skimmed, the issue was resolved. I asked to do it to all four discs since the cost was less and changed the front pads too. In my case, the front left brake pad was worn too much compared to others so I assumed that disc had the problem. if the problem persists, get the tie rods also checked.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post
My Verna Crdi ( 2010 ) has a serious shake on the steering on high speeds when there is a gentle tap on the brake pedal, please note only on higher speeds.
Usually it's the Rotors which are at fault ,uneven rotor surface causes the vehicle/wheels to vibrate when the brake is applied (mostly observed in high speed).
I had the same issue, brake used to vibrate a lot and on top of it, ABS used to kick in very early.

As a preventive measure, I changed the Rotors + Brake pads (though they still had more than half life left in them). The problem was solved only marginally. But the Brake pads used to heat a lot with new parts & smoke was emitted often.
Whitefiled Honda couldn't even trace the problem properly. (they opened the brake assembly + Did run the scan tool for any ABS error)
Took it to Bosch service centre, even they were not able to solve it at first stage.
Visited Bosch once again as I was free the other day, then told them to clean all the brake parts properly, I particularly informed them to clean the pistons, the problem was traced to the Jammed Brake Pistons due to too much of dirt. Dirt removed, Car braking is back to its Glory. Now no problem whatsoever.

Your car problem can be coz of the following,
* Rotors surface uneven (even Brake pads surface uneven)
* Clogged Brake parts (pistons, caliper etc)
* If ABS equipped, then sensors might not be working properly (rare chance)
* Get a proper wheel balancing done ( usually the vibration is observed when crossing speeds after 110kmph)

Also as a preventive measure, please check the Tie rod ends, balancing rod joints.

Last edited by sushrutha : 24th February 2012 at 15:29.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 14:15   #35
BHPian

Cruze (2010 model) - steering wobble

Dear fellow BHP-ians,

I drive a Dec 2010 Chevrolet Cruze running on stock JKTyre Vectras, which has driven only 15000 kms. For the past 2000 kms or so, I have sensed a steering wobble in the following circumstances:
  • While accelerating from 55 kmph to 70 kmph, slight wobble
  • While decelerating from 70 kmph to 50 kpmh, slight wobble
  • At these speed ranges if I turn the steering wheel slightly I can feel a distinct stronger wobble

Also, the ride quality seems to have deteriorated overall - at high speeds also.

I have got the wheels aligned, balanced and rotated twice. However, nothing has helped much and as expected - the authorized service centre and tyre shops here in Gurgaon have no interest in diagnosing it. All they are interested in is a quick off-the-catalog service or an outright change of tyres.

As a background, I am aware that the Vectra's are notoriously bad in their reputation and the drive quality is poor (I have experienced it too).

Could this issue be due to bad tyre quality? Or could there be another culprit? Any feedback from fellow BHPians would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Abhishek
Old 13th January 2013, 14:23   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cruze (2010 model) - steering wobble

I do not know how good these JK tires on Cruze really are, but the other most JK tires just like some low end Goodyear tires are known to deform in a uneven manner, making them loud and sometimes also inducing vibrations. Please get the tires and rims checked for any damage, preferably at some independent tire shop.

A Friend who own a Cruze has already got the tires changed twice in warranty for similar problems.

My Advice is move on to better quality rubber like Michelin or Yokohama, Cruze surely deserves better quality rubber.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 14:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My Advice is move on to better quality rubber like Michelin or Yokohama, Cruze surely deserves better quality rubber.
Thanks Anshuman, mine is out of warranty I guess. But reaffirms that uneven wear could be a reason.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:19   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Abhishek, I have a June 2011 LT now at 24k km on the OEM Vectras. Haven't faced any issues yet except for 2 punctures (gradual leaks; not catastrophic; repaired at my convenience). Aligned/balanced 3 times so far.

However, have noted gradual decline in ride quality and increase in road noise. I assume you've never had a shunt or any accidental damage to your suspension like lower arms, alloy rims etc.?

Alternatively carefully inspect the tyres for uneven wear or bald-spotting and change if no option!
Old 14th January 2013, 09:52   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek3030 View Post

I drive a Dec 2010 Chevrolet Cruze running on stock JKTyre Vectras, which has driven only 15000 kms. For the past 2000 kms or so, I have sensed a steering wobble in the following circumstances:
  • While accelerating from 55 kmph to 70 kmph, slight wobble
  • While decelerating from 70 kmph to 50 kpmh, slight wobble
  • At these speed ranges if I turn the steering wheel slightly I can feel a distinct stronger wobble
Does it wobble even if you hold the clutch in those speed ranges you mentioned, and just coast without accelerating?? If it is a tyre issue, the wobble will persist in that speed range even when coasting.

Do you hear any strange noises? If you do, worn out or loose wheel bearings could be the reason, but that's quite unlikely for a vehicle this new.

If it happens only during acceleration/deceleration, it could be a worn out ball joint, or dry cv joint. Check even the tie rods and bushes. Visit the authorised service centre, ask them to put the vehicle up on a lift and inspect all angles.

Quote:
I have got the wheels aligned, balanced and rotated twice. However, nothing has helped much and as expected - the authorized service centre and tyre shops here in Gurgaon have no interest in diagnosing it.
Bent alloys will usually produce wobble at typically low speeds < 40 kmph, and unbalanced tyres usually produce wobble at higher speeds, which gets worse as you gain speed. If tyre rotation didn't help in reducing the problem, it may not be the tyres which were causing the issue.

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th January 2013 at 09:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks