Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2005, 14:43   #16
BHPian

I do 100 kmph (only driver with a.c) everyday on my Baleno. It has stock tyres. Have never felt any such issues. Have done 140 -160 kmph with 4 passengers and luggage on the highways. Above 150 the steering feels light but I guess it might be (as also suggested by others) subjective to me as i drive at those speeds maybe once in 4 months. So since I am not used to such speeds everyday, maybe i am not accustomed to it. I keep my tyre pressure below the recommended 29psi. This provides a softer ride and more grip. You may try this. For the sake of completeness I hope you were not driving with any of ur windows down. this can seriously affect handling at such speeds.

Anyway i guess there isnt much to worry about....a Baleno will NEVER EVER lift on a straight road no matter what !!.
Old 13th July 2005, 14:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
I hope you were not driving with any of ur windows down. this can seriously affect handling at such speeds.
I never drive with my window down.

May be in the next T-BHP drive I will ask some of you guys to take it to 130KMPH and see how it feels.
Old 13th July 2005, 14:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I keep my tyre pressure below the recommended 29psi. This provides a softer ride and more grip.
Please go through other threads on correct typre pressure. Running at less than recommended pressure, can land you up in serious trouble at high speeds.
Old 13th July 2005, 18:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. I keep my tyre pressure below the recommended 29psi. This provides a softer ride and more grip. You may try this.

!.

dude,
never do that.if its 29 psi that maruti recommends,try and keep 2-3 psi more on the highways whenever high speed driving is involved.your chances of a tire burst will increase with lower pressure.

search an du will find many topics on this.
Old 13th July 2005, 19:52   #20
BHPian

Has wheel balancing & alighnment done properly ?Just check it with other wheel alighnment dealer not from where you bought the alloys and tyres, after doing this check wether the problem persist or not, if still problem persist just swap ur rear tyres to front and front to rear in same direction and check again, if still ur problem is not solved try to borrow a different brand of tyre like bridgestone and check it again. is ur tyres are directional tyres ? if yes all the tyres has to be installed in a particular direction specified on tyre ,usually u will find some sort of marking.
Old 13th July 2005, 22:13   #21
BHPian

nah...never felt anything like that on my baleno.....hit 140 + speeds on my baleno during teh lonavala trip last sunday....well the steering did lighten up at 140 +.but i think thts because its a lightweight car.....might be wrong....but not to an alarming extent...im running stock tyres
Old 13th July 2005, 22:51   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
Has wheel balancing & alighnment done properly ?Just check it with other wheel alighnment dealer not from where you bought the alloys and tyres, after doing this check wether the problem persist or not,
It is a brand new car from the factory, therefore alignment was necessary. However wheel balancing was done after the wheel change.

Quote:
if still ur problem is not solved try to borrow a different brand of tyre like bridgestone and check it again.
Oh, C'mon. Iceman's Super Baleno had the same tyre, that can't be it.

Quote:
is ur tyres are directional tyres ? if yes all the tyres has to be installed in a particular direction specified on tyre ,usually u will find some sort of marking.
Yes, it is directional. It is V pattern from the front all over.
Old 13th July 2005, 22:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

One theory: Maybe it's just that you're sensitive to it. I mean, your last car was a 3.2l V6, with over 240bhp. That was obviously configured for much higher speeds. So when you drive an Indian car, you find it less stable at a similar speed.

I've not really noticed it on my car, but that's not saying much. My speed bursts are limited to the Ring Road, unlike your own highway experiences, and like I told you, I'm busy as hell just trying to concentrate and stay focussed.

But having said that, the car itself feels much lighter at those speeds.

Maybe you should drive mine the next time we meet, just to check.
Old 13th July 2005, 23:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Get a deep front spoiler for your car. Hopefully that should take care of it. Another thing to try is the toe alignment. Increase the 'toe-in' (although its done to prevent wandering)

For further advice, best to contact Leela's garage in Coiambatore. They are in the business of making the Baleno fly (......I mean stick to the ground)
Old 14th July 2005, 12:34   #25
BHPian

Samurai,

If u were driving a bigger car before, then the Baleno (or any smaller car for that matter) will feel lighter. I drove a 170 bhp V6 in the US for 2 months and after coming home my Baleno felt very nimble. Aided no doubt by the condition of our roads !.

I think its just a matter of time before u get used to the car.
Old 14th July 2005, 13:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Oh, C'mon. Iceman's Super Baleno had the same tyre, that can't be it.

hehe,u just cannot compare your stock car with that beast.it had those tires with modded suspensions.but u have the stock one
Old 14th July 2005, 14:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well, if your steering alone feels light at high speeds, then you've got excess toe-out.

Get the toe angles checked at a service station and get it set according you your style.

BTW, is the car nimble on the twisties? Toe out helps get the car into corners but not very good at hgih speed stability.

Shan2nu
Old 14th July 2005, 15:19   #28
BHPian

Well, i have caned it at around 160 flat on the expressway with really no problems at all,
yes under mod/heavy braking i do get a light feeling (luckily have never needed to do any of that in my case at 160 odd, but need to do so at 120 in the city)

My suggestion (a hopefully cheap solution) would be to go for a front air dam (skirt)
a decently made one will help push the air around the sides of the car rather than under, giving you a lot more stability
Old 17th July 2005, 21:41   #29

well, i dont know about u guys.... but me in the blue team fs ikon and the black baleno with the 17" were on the express.... i was doin about 180 and fahad(fs) passed me in the baleno at around 200....... and i dont think he had any problems with the baleno with that smile on his face.......
Old 17th July 2005, 22:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

its not like the baleno is taking off at such speeds ..but how stable do you think it feels while cutting lanes at 150 ? the front doesnt bite as much as you'd want it to ...

pulling a straight line speed is not an issue ...

have you guys been cutting lanes at such speeds in the baleno ? i wasnt feeling too confident doing so in a baleno ..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks