Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Getz: Hard Power Steering

I have a 2006 Getz GLE which has done approx 38000 Kms till date.
Of late from the last couple of months, I feel the steering of my car has become Hard and no longer feels light. Earlier I thought that it is only my feeling, But I did a drive to Lavassa last weekend and the steering did feel hard & the drive felt tiring.
To address this I have checked/Done following things:
1. Had a complete Car service at hyundai sevice center this saturday
2. Checked, there is no leak of the power steering liquid.
3. Checked air pressure in all tyres
4. Did the wheel alignment & Tyre Balancing
5. Got the tyres rotated.

I had pointed the hard steering to the service center advisor who made a note in the job card. As usual when I picked the car, He said there is no issues with power steering.

However the steering is still hard. Any pointers/suggestions on how do I check if the power steering pump is fine or if there is any other part that should be checked ? I have extended warranty on the car so can force the service center to replace parts without any cost to me if required

Last edited by malgudi : 15th September 2009 at 10:56.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:31   #2
BANNED

Forget about "no issues" comment from them, when receiving the car from service did you ask them if they attended the hardness of steering?
Old 15th September 2009, 14:24   #3
BHPian

I hate Service centres

Seriously when we ask the service centres to do something, they will only wash the car and do some minor changes and say everything is ok.

First of all since you have done most of your ground work. I just have one more pointer that you can look into.

Start the engine and have the steering turned from left to right, you will have to be in the hood and try to hear any screeching noise so that you can rule out the pump belt slackness, it should not slip.
Have you made sure about the correct power steering fluid as specified.
Did you check for the play in your steering wheel. There is sometimes worn components in the steering bracket or mounting joints. But then mostly you might just have to lubricate your ball joints. Tell them this specifically or have a local guy to do it for you.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Try a good private mechanic- ask him to figure out and tell you what is wrong...
Old 15th September 2009, 22:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Forget about "no issues" comment from them, when receiving the car from service did you ask them if they attended the hardness of steering?
Yes & the reply was "We checked the power steering and there is no issue with it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Start the engine and have the steering turned from left to right, you will have to be in the hood and try to hear any screeching noise so that you can rule out the pump belt slackness, it should not slip.
Tried this and there is no screeching noise.

Quote:
Have you made sure about the correct power steering fluid as specified.
Have not changed the power steering fluid till date. (I dont think it has been changed in any of the services as well as I have not been charged for it)

Quote:
Did you check for the play in your steering wheel. There is sometimes worn components in the steering bracket or mounting joints. But then mostly you might just have to lubricate your ball joints. Tell them this specifically or have a local guy to do it for you.
There is no play in the steering wheel. Will ask my local mechanic to lubricate the ball joints this weekend.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:33   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I presume you've already checked the obvious : fluid level is sufficient, tyre pressure OK and that the belt is not loose.

Quote:
Have not changed the power steering fluid till date. (I dont think it has been changed in any of the services as well as I have not been charged for it)
Get the fluid drained & changed ASAP. Could be that the problem lies herein itself. Bad fluid would have lost out on its lubricating properties and could be contaminated with dirt / metal shavings.

If still not solved:

1. Check PS pump

2. Ball joints

3. Steering Rack / column / related components

Got extended warranty? Have an expert look her up, whether at the authorised service station or an independent.

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2009 at 13:10. Reason: Adding Point
Old 15th September 2009, 23:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check the steering damper, if too tightened during alignment can cause the steering hardness you are facing, not a complicated job. Go back to the service station and ask them to get this checked before trying out something major.
Old 16th September 2009, 02:39   #8
BHPian

while changing the PS oil, just check its consistency and compare it with that of the new fluid.
over-time, PS Oil tends to get thinner. (therein might lie the problem)
just make sure the specification of new PS oil matches with that mentioned in the service manual.
Old 17th December 2017, 11:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Getz: Hard Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
I have a 2006 Getz GLE which has done approx 38000 Kms till date.
Of late from the last couple of months, I feel the steering of my car has become Hard and no longer feels light. Earlier I thought that it is only my feeling, But I did a drive to Lavassa last weekend and the steering did feel hard & the drive felt tiring.
To address this I have checked/Done following things:
1. Had a complete Car service at hyundai sevice center this saturday
2. Checked, there is no leak of the power steering liquid.
3. Checked air pressure in all tyres
4. Did the wheel alignment & Tyre Balancing
5. Got the tyres rotated.

I had pointed the hard steering to the service center advisor who made a note in the job card. As usual when I picked the car, He said there is no issues with power steering.

However the steering is still hard. Any pointers/suggestions on how do I check if the power steering pump is fine or if there is any other part that should be checked ? I have extended warranty on the car so can force the service center to replace parts without any cost to me if required
Did you find the cause of this issue ?
Old 18th December 2017, 14:09   #10
BHPian

Re: Getz: Hard Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Did you find the cause of this issue ?
Sumeet,
Had got the below done
- Power Steering oil replaced at that time on recommendation from the members here
- FNG had replaced a small connecting rod (Rod about the size of your hand, worth abt 1K) which as per him was the reason.

Since both were done together, not sure which one actually solved the issue but post this did not face hardness again. Hope this helps
malgudi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed