Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 00:47   #1
BHPian

Cheap Thrills| Fixing My Broken Innova ORVM

Last Sunday on my way to see a play, a meandering truck gave a love bite to my innova, which resulted in the passenger side ORVM being sheared off.

Luckily the mirror assembly with the motor was intact, and just the black flange/bracket which is attached to the window and has the swivel mechanism on the bottom (on which the mirror casing sits) was broken.

Call to Madhuban Toyota produced expected results of saying 'Sir, only entire assembly has to be replaced, you cant get just the black part. It is one unit. 5500 plus labor only sir"

Digging my heels in as a matter of principle (since the major component was all right and as far as i can see, it sits on the bracket held by 3 screws), I sent my driver to CST Road Kurla to hunt for the part. He came back with it and my local mechanic fixed it today and it is back to as good as new.

Result:

New Black Bracket-700, Labor Charges-200, Satisfaction of scoring on the money gouging dealership-Priceless!
Old 16th September 2009, 11:27   #2
BHPian

Congratulations buddy. I very well understand the satisfaction you must've derived.

Me and a friend fixed a loose solder on my Toshiba Laptop for which the price quoted by the laptop-mech was 3-4K. Thanks to the disassembly guide (courtesy www), the whole process of dis-assembling it, fixing the solder and putting it back was accomplished in less than 3 hrs. Satisfaction: Priceless.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:38   #3
BHPian

I love these DIY good-news reports. Maybe others having similar experiences can post?
Old 16th September 2009, 15:55   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Digging my heels in as a matter of principle (since the major component was all right and as far as i can see, it sits on the bracket held by 3 screws), I sent my driver to CST Road Kurla to hunt for the part. He came back with it and my local mechanic fixed it today and it is back to as good as new.

Result:

New Black Bracket-700, Labor Charges-200, Satisfaction of scoring on the money gouging dealership-Priceless!
Neat! Though, you could probably get an entire used mirror assembly from Chor Bazaar for 1000 bucks or less.
Old 16th September 2009, 17:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Neat! Though, you could probably get an entire used mirror assembly from Chor Bazaar for 1000 bucks or less.
Went down that route too.

Entire assembly available for 2500 rs in Kurla. (This is the one with the powered mirrors hence rarer availability). But it was scratched up hence passed.

Most Viewed