Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 20:06   #16
BHPian

I am having a problem with my OHC. The starter solenoid is giving up after one or two months. I have changed it 3 times but samething happens again and again.It gets jammed after few weeks.I am unable to start the car and hear only a clicking sound . If i am lucky the car will start in 3-4 attempts otherwise have to hit the solenoid with something to start the car.What could be the cause of this.The solenoid i am using is the aftermarket one .Which is the original brand for Honda and where can i get it and for what price.I am totally fed as i have no confidence that whether my car will start or not .Plz give me solution...thanks
Old 4th November 2009, 20:31   #17
BHPian

I forgot to update this thread.

Initially even the garage guys were suspecting solenoid. But later it was found that the "wire" leading unto the starter has given up. There was some damage to it. Either it has burnt out or some physical pressure on that wire had made it to give away. They replaced that wire and then it started purring again.

But that is just half the story. The above fix was done the previous Saturday. And exactly 6 days later, again encountered the starting problem.

This time the engine is cranking but it is not starting. After ruling out fuel pump and weak battery, it was observed the spark plug was not putting out any spark. After ruling out couple of circuitry, the issue is now trending towards ignition coil. Tomorrow will know the answer.

Within a week, car is grounded twice. Second time is worse. Had to tow it from office. And now this "original GM Opel" ignition coil costs 15k!!! Orkut corsa community talks about 4kRs after market ones. Checked with bosch dealer and it looks like bosch dosnt make opel ICs.

Tomorrow will know how much the actual pain will be.
Old 4th November 2009, 20:33   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3938 View Post
The starter solenoid is giving up after one or two months. I have changed it 3 times but samething happens again and again.It gets jammed after few weeks.
Your starter motor is drawing too much current, more than the solenoid is rated for. Probably a short circuit in the motor winding. The solenoid is therefore burning out.

Get your starter motor checked and serviced also, when replacing the solenoid.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I forgot to update this thread.

. And now this "original GM Opel" ignition coil costs 15k!!! Orkut corsa community talks about 4kRs after market ones. .
Hi, I source aftermarket ones in chennai for my corsa for half the price, 2K !

For 4K You could source an original one from Ebay UK, incl delivery. They are for 1.6 cars you can take 2nd opinion if they will be ok for 1.4

Last edited by vdiatech : 4th November 2009 at 21:05.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
Hi, I source aftermarket ones in chennai for my corsa for half the price, 2K !

For 4K You could source an original one from Ebay UK, incl delivery. They are for 1.6 cars you can take 2nd opinion if they will be ok for 1.4
My sail is 1.6. Do you know what is the make of after market one that you got?
Old 4th November 2009, 21:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
My sail is 1.6. Do you know what is the make of after market one that you got?
Hi, sent you a PM. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks