Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2005, 21:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Most cars in India don't have a syncromesh on the reverse gear. But, neither does the "Vtec" nor the "Wagon R" have such a problem.

Shan2nu
My wagonR not only makes noise while shifting to reverse but sometimes it just refuses to shift into reverse... thats a big headache..
Old 15th July 2005, 23:45   #17
BHPian

Yes i have talked with the Service Manager.He said he will be sending a technical person tomorrow at my house to see the issue.
Will let you know about this.
Old 16th July 2005, 01:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

My Swift is giving me a different problem. I dont have a stereo yet, just upgraded the tyres. But when i drive alone at night there is a "tick tick tick" sound coming from the passenger seat side when I go over bumps. If someone sits on the seat the sound is not there, or cant be heard as its really faint and if two people are talking... almost non existant. i have had a hard time isolating these small vibration sounds... why does this just happen with my cars. The car has not even done 300 km. Please advise how to proceed further.
Old 16th July 2005, 02:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

just try pushing the seat fully back(using the underseat slider) and then return it to normal position also u can try repositioning the backrest.
Old 18th March 2008, 17:10   #20
BHPian

Reverse Gear Sound in INDICA XETA GLG

Hi,

I am facing similar problem in my new indica ( 1 month old). I hear rattling kind of noice when reverse gear is engaged, then I need to shift back to neutral & then again to reverse.

Is it a technical issue or is it cos to new car or when engine/gear box is not warmed up.

Also i face difficulties when shifting back to 1st gear. its not that smooth & kinda gets stuck.

Would apprecaite if anyone can help me on this.
Rgds
Marlon
Old 18th March 2008, 20:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

Ok try doing this.

Engage hand brake>Press clutch>Netral>Start car>Press clutch completely engage first gear>remove hand brake> move car a lil to front (few inch is fine)>Pull neutral> Press clutch and engage reverse.

Again check the clutch play, i think thats the real culprit. How much has the car run?

Ensure when you press clutch, depress the pedal completely down.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2008 at 20:18.
Old 18th March 2008, 21:59   #22
BHPian

Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
I am facing similar problem in my new indica ( 1 month old). I hear rattling kind of noice when reverse gear is engaged, then I need to shift back to neutral & then again to reverse.
Marlon,
I too have this problem on my Xeta GLS, more severe in the initial days. I thought to show this to the service advisor when i take it to first service.

I learned this way and its slightly reduced though not gone completely.

I have the habit of parking the car in either 1st or reverse (depending on surface) with handbrake engaged.

1) Press the clutch completely
2) Shift to Neutral
3) Start the engine
4) Press the clutch completely and hold for 5 seconds and release (while in neutral)
5) Release Hand break
6) Press the clutch again and shift to reverse and hold the clutch for 5 seconds and then release slowly to get it moving back.

I will try what Jaggu had recommended to see if this removes the sound completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Engage hand brake>Press clutch>Netral>Start car>Press clutch completely engage first gear>remove hand brake> move car a lil to front (few inch is fine)>Pull neutral> Press clutch and engage reverse.
Old 19th March 2008, 09:45   #23
BHPian

This happens frequently on my Optra. I found the reason to be that I wasn't pressing the clutch fully.

After I get the sound, I just depress the clutch fully and the sound is gone. I am able to reproduce this sound by shifting into Reverse while keeping the clutch half-pressed.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:17   #24
BHPian

Car has run only 600 kms...

The sound does not occur always but sometimes only...i am not able to reproduce the same. my guess is tat it occurs only on a cold start.. or as suggested it could cos of the clutch play.

anyways i try the suggested ways...

rgds
marlon
Old 19th March 2008, 12:02   #25
BHPian

Guys, this reverse gear sound problem is a headache in most marutis so I guess we have to live with it . Even my Alto does it whenever she feels like , but not always. Just make sure that you press the clutch pedal completely.

Maruti hatches are good , but the gearshift is not one of their plus points.
Old 19th March 2008, 13:11   #26
BHPian

A screech and a Tick

I am also facing a similar issue in my Swift. It gives a very light screech sound once I engage the reverse gear, occassionally. It goes off if I engage clutch again, put in neutral then to reverse.Anyways, I am planning to take it to the service center to get the clutch play checked, as suggested.

Another issue I have already noticed and escalated to service manager is the sound - a very light 'tick' sound (metallic sound) once I press / release the clutch, while the car in motion. It is prominent while releasing the clutch than while engaging.If the car is stationary, this sound will not occur.During the previous service, I was lucky to reproduce it for the service manager and he 'found out' that, it is because of the clutch cable and changed the cable. However within a week, the sound came back and it still persists. Now, planning to ask the service manager what could he do next with it?? Anyone has any idea of this issue so that I can tell the service manager before he 'invents' something else!?

Last edited by menonrajesh : 19th March 2008 at 13:13.
Old 3rd July 2009, 23:04   #27
BHPian

I get a whining noise whenever i reverse the car and turn the steering to full lock. The service center guys siad that it could be AC belt which is loose and tightened it, but the problem is still there.

Any suggestion how to deal with it?
Old 31st May 2011, 00:38   #28
BHPian

Re: Swift reverse gear sound

Gentlemen,
For last few days my petrol Indigo car is having a grinding noise, almost at all times when I put the car in reverse gear. Moreover I have seen that even when the car is stationery and is in neutral with my foot being off the accelerator pedal, there is a very low but noticeably distinct clicking sound, occurring both when I press and release the clutch. This even happens if I just press the clutch but do not engage any gear at all.

Is it my clutch cable which is somehow at fault? Is it somehow responsible for the noise I get when I put the car in back gear, possibly occurring due to inadequate play of clutch? Shall a replacement of the clutch cable be able solve this problem?

I shall remain very grateful if any kind and informed person please share his views.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

Last edited by rahul4640 : 31st May 2011 at 00:48. Reason: Spelling check

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks