Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 15:11   #1

Optra Ignition Coil problem during service at authorised dealer workshop

Hi All,

I need some advice... I gave my Checrolet Optra 1.6 for service to the authorised dealer. Before giving the car for service, there was no trouble with the car really except for headlamp' focussing. I had to leave the car overnight at the service center due to my engagements. Next day I got call from the service center that Ignition Coil and alternator belt need replacement. My car has done 30k in 3 years. I want to understand if ignition coil and alternator belt can go bad in this much time? there must be some MTBF for thee spares. Second part is that before I gave my car for service, there were no symptoms of bad ignition coil which I can feel now (I took a drive test and could sense missing ignition, low pickup in higher gears, etc). As per the dealer, they have already diagnosed the problem and found that its only the ignition coil thats causing the trouble. How come these problems surfaced during the service? 3rd thing I want to know is about the availability of genuine ignition coil from market rather that auth dealer. Is it safe to get it replaced from outside market?
Old 17th September 2009, 17:06   #2
BHPian

you have no way to tell them for sure that they changed your coil with an old faulty one. this is one reason why some folks go to non-authorised centers and sit and watch every nut and bolt taken off and put back in their cars.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:19   #3
BHPian

The ignition coil and fuel pump are some of the parts that can stop working abruptly...for both, there are options available in the market. If you google, you will find many.

Also, check the battery. The ignition and fuel pumping happen before the vehicle actually starts, so the battery plays some role.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Frankly speaking, you don't have any grounds to fight upon. One should never leave his/her veichle in service center untill and unless some major issue is cropped up.

Best is, if you can afford get it done from authorised service center else try sourcing up from after-market & get fitted from a local garage.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ignition coil will not go off so abruptly. First it will start a bit of malfunctioning and give jerks atleast, this is from my experience an Accent that I was driving. IMHO, not so abruptly.

About Alternator belt, well, its too early for replacement, but depends upon where the car is used. Dusty and hot climate can reduce the life.

About the coil, there is something fishy, but you are out of options as you made the mistake of leaving the car overnight. Do give them a fight before allowing them to change the coil. About Alternator belt, may be they are correct.

Correct me if I am wrong in my points/observations.
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:11   #6
BHPian

I am sure the mechanics would have swapped yours with a faulty one to help one of their 'friends' . It would be difficult for you to prove it though.
How much are they quoting for a replacement?

Can some one please tell me if a failing ignition coil can cause the RPM to fluctuate to the lower end of the gauge and then raise back to normal ?

cheers
Old 30th September 2009, 11:54   #7
BHPian

your chevy comes with a E-TEC II 1.6 engine which is a second gen engine from the GM family. well modern engines these days run based on electronics. its like a mechatronic device, elctronically controlled mechanical machine yada yadaa... so the basic point is its got a programmed computer chip that tells it what you want the car to do. i'm sure you know all this stuff.
and when the ignition coil reaches a certain life span it gives us a sign that its gonna konk off by sneezing and coughing.
how i gotta learned these details is by experience.
i used to drive a ford fusion which did the same and i ignored the sneezing and coughing and then all of a sudden it died. my odometer read around 30,000 when it started sneezing and coughing and when it died it was 30,700.
and about the alternator belt my friend, please check the user manual and service schedule and you know all those manuals you get with your car to find out if its actually time.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
your chevy comes with a E-TEC II 1.6 engine which is a second gen engine from the GM family. well modern engines these days run based on electronics. its like a mechatronic device, elctronically controlled mechanical machine yada yadaa... so the basic point is its got a programmed computer chip that tells it what you want the car to do. i'm sure you know all this stuff.
and when the ignition coil reaches a certain life span it gives us a sign that its gonna konk off by sneezing and coughing.
how i gotta learned these details is by experience.
i used to drive a ford fusion which did the same and i ignored the sneezing and coughing and then all of a sudden it died. my odometer read around 30,000 when it started sneezing and coughing and when it died it was 30,700.
and about the alternator belt my friend, please check the user manual and service schedule and you know all those manuals you get with your car to find out if its actually time.
what do you mean by sneezing and coughing??
Old 1st October 2009, 21:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
what do you mean by sneezing and coughing??

haha i was speaking in a layman way, by sneezing and coughing i meant miss-firing and oh yeah one cylinder completely died before total failure
Old 5th October 2009, 14:49   #10
BHPian

mis firing of course!

so you say one cylinder died as in the cylinder wasn't firing right? and then none of the cylinders were firing there after?
Old 5th October 2009, 15:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Ignition coils rarely fails, specially modern ones. Unlike the old coils which are low voltage high current ones the modern coils are high voltage low current ones.( I mean the primary coil voltages ) and smaller in size. Then if there is any fault with the coil, it will effect all the cylinders identically and not only one. if you have spark plug fowling or HT fault in one cylinder then you will get the "Sneezing and Coughing" in that cylinder only.
Old 5th October 2009, 19:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Ignition coils rarely fails, specially modern ones. Unlike the old coils which are low voltage high current ones the modern coils are high voltage low current ones.( I mean the primary coil voltages ) and smaller in size. Then if there is any fault with the coil, it will effect all the cylinders identically and not only one. if you have spark plug fowling or HT fault in one cylinder then you will get the "Sneezing and Coughing" in that cylinder only.
define "modern". ignition coil failing is a fairly common problem in ikons (for instance) any ikon owner will testify to that. also, the problem which happens in the ikon coil will usually result in two of the secondary voltages not being delivered, basically two of the 4 cylinders will not fire while the other two will. the other 2 will not necessarily stop firing unless that part of the circuit in the coil also malfunctions.
Old 5th October 2009, 19:57   #13
BHPian

they must have changed the v-belt according to the service interval as the manual for optra says that v-belt should be changed at 30,000kms or 3 yrs . so no harm in that it cost 720/=+labour of 130/=
regarding ignition coil well its difficult now to diagonise it. i would say go in for e genuine GM part as these things dont really give way so fast and try to source it from a reseller .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks