Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 01:39   #1
BHPian

Accord 2.4 not starting properly

I have a 2005 Accord 2.4 A/T done 47,000km with a K and N airfilter and an after market exhaust.

Two weeks ago I noticed that when I start the car(crank it) it doesnt start properly.It feels as if it isnt getting enough power and its going to die out if I rev it a little and its okay but this only happens if I start the car after a longer duration of time.If I start the car within like an hour it starts perfectly well.This problem had gone away in middle but has been there again for the past few days.

Could it be a problem with the battery(changed the battery about 2 years ago)?

Could someone please suggest what could be wrong.

Thank you

Last edited by Dippy : 19th September 2009 at 16:11. Reason: 47,000 kms added
Old 19th September 2009, 02:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

You might want to check the terminals and make sure everything is secure. Its too early for the alternator to be replaced, so I'd rule that out.
Have you had a fuel system flush done ? Again, with just 4700 kms on the odo, there's not much that could go wrong. Do make sure the fuel you use is of good quality. An ex-colleague of mine had to have major work done on his Camry, as the fuel he was using caused a lot of gunk to build up and that messed the engine up completely.
Old 19th September 2009, 02:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you sure it's done only 4700 kms in 4 years? Or is that a typo and you mean 47,000 kms?
Old 19th September 2009, 16:09   #4
BHPian

Sorry that was a typo and its 47,000km .The fuel I use is power from HP.
Old 19th September 2009, 16:26   #5
BHPian

Looks like a sensor Issue. Did you notice any abnormal Idling patterns or any drop in FE ?
Old 19th September 2009, 17:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get your car's fuel and ignition system checked.
Old 19th September 2009, 19:37   #7
BHPian

No abnormal idling patterns and no drop in FE also.Planning to get it checked sometime this week.
Old 19th September 2009, 19:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its the cold start valve or the idle control valve or the oxygen sensor, whichever of these come on the Accord.
Old 19th September 2009, 19:57   #9
BHPian

Of what little i could make out, with respect to what you told about your problem is: Your'e having difficulty starting your car in cold start, and yet your'e car starts normally when engine is warmed-up. Isn't?

Need to ask you, a few questions that may further provide some info about the problem:

Do you wait for system check , just before you turn car to start?
If you do, and lights on HUD go out except Battery & Oil light, then ..

(a) When you try to start your car in cold start, by depressing accelerator pedal . Does the battery light remain ?. If it does, then battery needs to be replaced.

Moreover, in cold start without pressing accelerator. Whats the sound of cranking, i mean is it persistent or there is pause in between?
Old 19th September 2009, 20:07   #10
BANNED

Not starting properly? sell it and have some chat or kulfi. oh sorry i forgot its an accord may be u can get both chat and kulfi if bargain a little.
LOL.just kidding ..please dont take it to heart. I have Gets ,wonder if i will even get a samosa for it.

Its sounds like a lean problem on cold start.check for sensor that would be mounted somewhere on inlet manifold(actually there should be two of them) check there wires,they may be cut or worn out or unhooked. else reset your ecu! This is the stuff u can try for yourself,othervise the service centre should do the needfull.
But defintly ecu is not reacting to cold start for which it has special values of fuel injection and timing,either it isnt getting the input to detect the cold start,or it needs a reset!
Old 19th September 2009, 20:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

Also, get the starter motor checked. I've heard of a few accords in which the starter motor was weak and this problem occured.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks