Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 00:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorholic View Post
I agree with you that having common cylinder design is beneficial. Let's say I have a 4-cylinder 1.6 L engine. If I want to create a smaller engine, the cheapest way is to cut off a cylinder with a minor redesign of other components. To create a new 1.2 L 4-cylinder engine, new combustion models, etc for the cylinders would be required and hence development costs would be very high. But my keeping the same cylinder design, cutting off a cylinder would give a quick fix.
Would require new castings (block and head), forgings (crank, possibly camshaft). NVH characteristics would change, with possible change in engine mounting methods. Uniformity of temperature across head will have to be taken care of. Breathing WILL differ. And production lines to be modified, even if distance between bore centres is kept same. And I think adding a cylinder will result in a comparatively heavier and longer engine.

An option, but not a quick fix.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:14   #32
BHPian

Re: Car with four cylinder engine or three cylinder engine?

Could anyone clarify which engine type (3-cyl vs 4-cyl) would be longer lasting and reliable, assuming regular service-schedules are adhered to for both of them? My understanding is that a 3 cylinder engine would be subject to higher revs as compared to a 4 cylinder to maintain similar speeds and hence subject to more abuse leading to a reduced life or higher maintenance. Please do correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:39   #33
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
Could anyone clarify which engine type (3-cyl vs 4-cyl) would be longer lasting and reliable, assuming regular service-schedules are adhered to for both of them?
I am interested in knowing one thing. How long do you want to keep a car. A life time i.e 10-15-20 years?

Its good that you want to understand internals and evaluating prior your purchase. But, it is not at all required. I never kept a car anything more than 80 K Kms. after 4-5 years the bug for a new car wakes up

Also, what you may think today, might not hold true down the line. An eg. After 5-6 years, your model may be discontinued and spares might be sold at 2X or 3X price as it is discontinued. Still do you want to keep the car?

Unless you want to run a car for 5-6 lakh kms you need not think so deep. Almost all modern cars can run for ~2 lakh Kms easily without requiring any engine repairs. (with some *exceptions* like accidents, heavy rainfall, etc)

If you want to run for 5-6 lakh kms, then Go and buy a Toyota. Don't think. Every car has some pro's and Con's. The more you think, the more you are confused.

If you want to run for 2-3 Lakh range, Prefer MS, Nissan, Renault, Honda.

If you want to run less than that, VAG group products for pure driving pleasure

And last but not the least, there is FIAT for Lovers, who think all of the above is junk and FIAT is king.
  (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I am interested in knowing one thing. How long do you want to keep a car. A life time i.e 10-15-20 years?
Thanks gemi_kk -- well I too don't intend to keep my cars anywhere beyond 5 years either. That said, I may be in the market for a car in the next 6 months to a year's time. Just to give some more context, I am actually comparing Honda Amaze Vs Hyundai Xcent in their diesel avatars. I would have any day gone for the feature-rich Xcent over the Amaze, but then Amaze seems to be better spec'd with all four cylinders as compared to the Xcent with 3 cylinders plus the hallowed reliability of a Honda. In that light, I was wondering if the Xcent would in any way be inferior (owing to 3 cylinders only) in terms of maintenance over a 5 year period.

Also in terms of cost they seem to be very closely matched, so that will not be a deciding factor.
Old 23rd June 2014, 20:36   #35
gemi_kk

Quote:
Thanks gemi_kk -- well I too don't intend to keep my cars anywhere beyond 5 years either. That said, I may be in the market for a car in the next 6 months to a year's time. Just to give some more context, I am actually comparing Honda Amaze Vs Hyundai Xcent in their diesel avatars.
Amaze has already been here for 1 year. May be in the next 6 months to 1 year, it might go for an upgrade. The new version will have better NVH and some OEM goodies. Clearly Honda has ignored these at launch, so they have more scope in the form of upgrades. The same is the case with City.

On the Other hand, Hyundai doesn't do these kind of cost cutting acts. they ensure their cars have the best Interiors in the segment. Often, they beat cars from the very next segment.

If your primary requirement is to potter in and around city, Xcent will suffice your requirements. Amaze is again a good choice, but the NVH levels. Can you and your family live with it?

If you cruise more on highways like many do, I would say go for Amaze. The three cylinder Xcent might not last the distance if you drive at triple digits for years.
  (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks gemi_kk -- well I too don't intend to keep my cars anywhere beyond 5 years either. That said, I may be in the market for a car in the next 6 months to a year's time. Just to give some more context, I am actually comparing Honda Amaze Vs Hyundai Xcent in their diesel avatars. I would have any day gone for the feature-rich Xcent over the Amaze, but then Amaze seems to be better spec'd with all four cylinders as compared to the Xcent with 3 cylinders plus the hallowed reliability of a Honda. In that light, I was wondering if the Xcent would in any way be inferior (owing to 3 cylinders only) in terms of maintenance over a 5 year period.

Also in terms of cost they seem to be very closely matched, so that will not be a deciding factor.
This is probably OT, but if the only interest is power, then go for the Amaze. As someone has mentioned early in this thread, the three cylinders of an engine themselves are better balanced when in motion, as they are in-phase when in motion. It is the drop or gap in between power strokes that causes vibrations. The Xcent engine has sufficient technology backing it up to make the car fairly quiet and powerful, while the three cylinder engine will be naturally more efficient.

Other than the engine, there are a lot of other reasons to choose the Xcent, as have been mentioned in the review thread (quality, features, and fairly decent performance).
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 19:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent thread! I'd always prefer a 4 cylinder over 3 in my hatchback, simply because the refinement levels are far superior. The A-Stars 3 cylinder engine, advanced as it may be, has a rough idle, distinctly coarse edge when running and basically lacks the balance one would find...say...in a Ritz 1.2 4 cylinder engine. Both are from the same family of engines, but what a difference an additional cylinder can make.

A 3 cylinder is only apt when budget is tight. Cheaper to make, better FE.
@GTO: Reviving this thread - wanted to understand if the contents of the thread started are accurate? The person who started it seems to have been banned and hence seeking a clarification from your side.

I am not an expert and there is a discussion on the Tata Tiago thread where some people seem to claim this thread to be inaccurate. Given the goal of Team BHP is to ensure we have access to accurate information - requesting your attention on this topic.

Reference to Tiago Thread/Post: URL

Thanks!
Old 7th January 2018, 21:06   #38
BHPian

The trend is moving towards 3 cylinders with forced induction. The likes of Ford are into it.

Having said that, I should bring your attention to the Suzuki carry pickup 3 cylinder 660 cc Turbo, part-time 4 wd, diff lockers and a hydraulic dumper. It could go light off road. I would love to own one. (This is based on the Maruti van)

The future is electric, you could exchange your engine for a HPEVS AC50 Motor and Curtis 1238-7601 Controller. The internet is full of plans, if you have the moolah, the sky is the limit.

Still wanna drool
watch this

Most Viewed