Team-BHP - Should I replace my battery??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Should I replace my battery?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/65793-should-i-replace-my-battery-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunnn (Post 3269779)
My UVA OEM battery (Exide Freedom 50DIN) lasted for exactly 6 yrs.

Now that is absolute VFM. Bay life and 6 years is pretty cool. I had mine changed in 3 years.

How does the car feel? The electricals etc?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunnn (Post 3269779)
(Dont thinks that the dealer is being nice to buy back the old battery.

None of the dealer's are happy when the old battery is handed over to them. Many refuse to take and say the you keep the battery and dispute it how you want.

Near the place I live, around 3kms, there is the municipal garbage collection ground. What is shocking to find is the authorities say they get car and bike battery in the garbage everyday. They find 4-5 batteries a day.

I mean it is foolishness on the part of the locals who throw battery into the garbage. What is the condition if the pickers don't check and directly dump the garbage in the incinerator?!

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 2985467)
My car is nearing six years and i am still running on stock battery. From past couple of months i am observing the car doesn't start if i stop in signals. I need to crank it few times. This typically happens if i stop and try to start immediately.

The symptom you have mentioned is not attributable to the battery if it cranks the starter motor at the same pace as in cold condition. The trouble lies some where else.
My Swift's battery, OE Amron, would be completing 8 years in another 50 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeev k (Post 3269946)

My Swift's battery, OE Amron, would be completing 8 years in another 50 days.

Wow this the most I have heard any battery last! Congrats

How many kilometers did your swift cover in these 8 years and also any thing particular that you did to extend the battery life?

I have a 2009 Xylo which has clocked over 43K kms. I have got external Hellas installed as well with separate control switch inside the cabin. Point to note is that this was bought from the US and the switch is installed the way it is out there. Up is Off! Additionally, the lamp lenses are covered with hard plastic cover.

That being the background, during a recent visit to M&M workshop, the mechanic thinking that the switch is 'on' put it to 'off' position with the result that the lamps got turned on but not noticeable due to the covers.

No issues returning back, but next morning the battery was completely drained. No cranking power and feeble lighting on electronics.

Local Amaron shop is telling me that the battery is dead since it is OEM and has lasted 4 years. I differ since there was no problem prior to this incident and vehicle started on first crank. I have still asked him to charge it and will see what happens.

What do BHPians think? Will a complete drain affect the battery? Should I replace it for peace of mind?

I have a long drive coming up post Diwali and want to play it absolutely safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmxylorider (Post 3278713)
I have a 2009 Xylo which has clocked over 43K kms. I have got external Hellas installed as well with separate control switch inside the cabin. Point to note is that this was bought from the US and the switch is installed the way it is out there. Up is Off! Additionally, the lamp lenses are covered with hard plastic cover.

That being the background, during a recent visit to M&M workshop, the mechanic thinking that the switch is 'on' put it to 'off' position with the result that the lamps got turned on but not noticeable due to the covers.

No issues returning back, but next morning the battery was completely drained. No cranking power and feeble lighting on electronics.

Local Amaron shop is telling me that the battery is dead since it is OEM and has lasted 4 years. I differ since there was no problem prior to this incident and vehicle started on first crank. I have still asked him to charge it and will see what happens.

What do BHPians think? Will a complete drain affect the battery? Should I replace it for peace of mind?

I have a long drive coming up post Diwali and want to play it absolutely safe.

It is a borderline case. The battery may recover after recharging. Once it comes back check if it cranks the engine as before for a few days.

In case the deep discharge damaged the battery it will not only have less cranking power, but will self discharge within a couple of days.

Update: Got the battery charged, the shop kept it overnight to cool it down. Apparently high capacity battery acid heats up during the charging process and it is advisable to cool it down before installation.

So after a day's rest, the battery was load tested and certified to be good. This was done twice, once while I was on phone and the shopkeeper wanted to confirm and the second time in front of me during pick up. Installed it last night and vehicle started up without issues. I did feel that it took a tad longer for starting - but I could be mistaken or it was simply because of 5 days of rest for the vehicle. Will try again this evening to see if there is any noticeable self discharge.