Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2005, 18:26   #1
DRC
BHPian

Footwell----cesspool

help!
I have a strange problem if no one had earlier..
I recently had a drive to Ooty. While driving back, I switched on the AC just after I climbed down the hills and was ON till bangalore.
Now, water is seeping in the footwell. I guess it leaks into the footwell somewhere from the central console..
I spoke to dealer, he says not untill Monday He can care about my car..

Is there something I can do about it myself...I driving my second day with my shoes in this cesspool..

Please help
Old 15th July 2005, 18:34   #2
BHPian

Its not a strange problem is happens in car sometimes because the drain pipe of the a/c comes out...
As you know that humidity in the air condenses on the condenser and flows out through a drain pipe ...
So what you should do is put your hand behind the centre console on the lower side and you might be able to feel a rubber hose/pipe about 2 cm in diameter .. This pipe needs to be inserted onto a round plastic collar which you might be able to feel with your hand ... Best thing to do is on the AC and then try after 15 min so u can locate this collar because water will be leaking out of it ..
Just push the pipe onto this collar tightly and your water leakage problem will be solved ...
Cheers
EVO6
Old 15th July 2005, 19:01   #3
DRC
BHPian

thanks Evo, Sorry I did not mention the car, Petra!
I do not have space below the console,, The fairing of gear shift merges with the centre console... Do I have to unmount the dash or something?
Old 15th July 2005, 20:11   #4
BHPian

Put your hand in from under the dash behind ... exactly from the place where they give a vent for airflow that comes to your feet ... Try from front passenger side...
Dont dismantle anything .. Thats the easiest way to get it done ...
IF it is not done then better take to any guy who does A/c work and he will fix the problem in a jiffy if the service centre is gonna take time ..

Last edited by EVO6 : 15th July 2005 at 20:13.
Old 20th July 2005, 09:11   #5
BHPian

DRC, this is a known problem on Siena/Petra/Palio.. there was a thread earlier on this..

Here's what you do: push the front left seat far back.. Get into the footwell on your hands with a torch.. In the far front right corner you will see a black hose going into the floor.. check if it is disconnected and push it in.. If the hose is still in the collar, gently pull it out and insert a long steel wire into the hole and try to clear it gently, replug the hose.. if it doesnt work, you need to go to the service station to clean out the pan from under the car..
For me, the self cleaning worked..

Last edited by nitinbhag : 20th July 2005 at 09:12.
Old 20th July 2005, 14:31   #6
DRC
BHPian

Finally the culprit is caught.. Parking under a tree!!!

Yes, the fallen leaves of the tree under which I park gotten into through the snorkel and have clogged the drain pipe of the AC.. The mech said he has installed a mesh to avaid it.. Should see if it works..

Anyone had a similar poblem?
Old 20th July 2005, 14:45   #7
BHPian

No water clogging for me, but five baby rats got inside the a/c ducts of my Baleno and the poor fellows got crushed there.

Cost me 2500 Rs to get them out at the maruti dealer not to mention leaving the car at the dealership for two whole days.

Solution (hopefully): Dealer said he has installed a steel mesh to prevent any more over enthu rats from getting in.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

blocked drain pipe - most probably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Anyone had a similar poblem?
First of all - sorry for digging this out from the dark - but this thread is specifically related to palio/petra.

my palio's problem is a bit strange. i have no clue how the front and rear passenger side (LHS) foot well is soaking wet. the right hand side F&R footwells are dry.

is there some chanel through which the accumulated water in the front footwell flows to the rear? i checked under the front passenger seat - there are two big holes in the bank which separates the front and the rear passenger side foot wells - but they are placed at a height and water cannot pass to the rear.

i have placed newspapers to soak some of the water (well it sems as it someone has poured bottles of water) from the wet carpet. i kneeled and looked under the rear footwell and found not a single drain hole.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Planet
In my zen I once had this problem. The root was the AC drain pipe. It had come out of the joint. Could that be the reason in your case too? This happened when an over zealous morning cleaning guy got inside the car and tried to clean everything. In the Zen the vent pipe is slightly delicately connected just above the passenger foot to the pipe that ultimately throws the water out.
Sudipto

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 29th September 2008 at 15:23.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sudipto da,

in every thread i searched and checked - the members complained about either drivers' side or passenger side (FRONT) footwell getting soaked.

in my case the LHS rear footwell is almost flooded - thank god it doesn't smell at all.

the water under the carpet is absolutely clean

i will taking the car to F.A.S.S tomorrow to get it checked - lets hope the problem gets solved.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 29th September 2008 at 15:25.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
but they are placed at a height and water cannot pass to the rear.
What about while climbing a bridge? Just a wild guess. Otherwise something spooky.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

It could be that the coil is blocked and the condensation is collecting inside the cabin. Get the coil and cleaned and preferably the entire a/c unit serviced (check for leaks with a vacuum test, condensor cleaning, coil cleaning, gas top-up etc.) in case the same hasnt been done in a while.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Problem Solved> AC drain pipe cut by rat! replaced the damaged hose.

Thanks guys!
Old 30th September 2008, 17:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Crosslinking to another cause / solution for the benefit of future readers with a similar problem :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nside-car.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ue-solved.html

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks