Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 10:09   #16
BANNED

There are three issues here. How long does the oil last without significant degradation.

1. Time: Any decent oil (SF or higher) will last one year before ageing (oxidation) makes it advisable to change the oil. The oil companies have been saying it from the time SF was launched some quarter century ago/

2. Distance: If you mostly do highways 10000/15000 or even 20000+ may be Ok. If it is mostly stop - start then 10000 is the limit.

3. Engine: Ths depends a lot on the manufacturer: Quality of components, design, etc. Most run of mill vehicles are Ok with 10000. May be the 800 block of Maruti and its 4/3 version are not up to it.

Always remember the very short service intervals may have an element of greed. With extended warranties, you are forced to go in for the A$$ far longer. If the service interval is shorter he and the manufacturer make more money out of you. To keep the warranty you have to tow the line. Here what you should do is in case of a close choice see who has a higher interval (within limits of course). In the UK 12000 miles has been the norm for over 15 years!

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th September 2009 at 10:11.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Does it beep more or less around the 10K mark?
I haven't actually payed much attention to routine service jobs since everything is taken care of under BSI. But I think it def beeps above the 10k mark.

I have my 40k service due next week or so, will keep a track of it after this.

The Superb is half way to the 7500 mark so should I just get her oil changed at the gas station once she touches that mark? Would I need an engine flush too(she already is filled with synthetic)?
The Skoda service center is pretty far off and I don't see any drawbacks in an oil drain and refill to be done locally under ones supervision.

: Is it advisable to put synthetic oil in smaller engines like the i10 1.1? If so, what spec?

Last edited by Sahil : 25th September 2009 at 11:05.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
API-CC and 10,000. I do not think even the oil firms recommended 10000 before API-SF!!!!

Essenmtially maruti is happy with API-SC and 10,000km. Teh brand is irrelevant. All I can say is Mama Mia!

The oil recommended in the relevant page of the owner's manual is 20W/40 , API SF-SH. No brand mentioned. Elsewhere in the same manual it says MGO is best for Maruti. And the oil used at all MASS is MGO, almost always from Servo though others also formulate it. When I was snooping around about MGO, the link for MGO in the IOC website led to Servo 20W40 / API SC. I checked the Servo cans at IOC bunks and they were indeed API SC. But it just might be possible that they are formulating and supplying SPI SF to Maruti and selling plain old Servo API SC at the bunks. Interestingly the MGO from Servo is not on sale outside MASS. And at MASS, they only fill it in your car but don't sell it, so I could not check it there. MGO is on sale at BP/Shell bunks and Castrol shops. All these are marked 20W40/API-SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Engine: This depends a lot on the manufacturer: Quality of components, design, etc. Most run of mill vehicles are Ok with 10000. May be the 800 block of Maruti and its 4/3 version are not up to it.
As I mentioned earlier, the interval recommended by Maruti is also 10000 KM/ 12 months which ever is earlier. When I spoke to the service manager at MASS about changing to Shell Helix Ultra, he said "Sir, the engine of Alto is very robust. It is not a hi-tech engine, so all these costly oils are not really required. Just use normal 20W40 oil (MGO) and change it according to recommendations, it will be more than enough. If you bring the oil you want, I will be happy to change it but it will not make any significant difference to your engine. Any difference you perceive will just be in your mind".

I pondered over his words and then decided on Shell helix Super as the cost was comparable to MGO. May be I will be even better off if I simply buy the MGO from Shell and change it once in six months, irrespective of KM covered!

Last edited by Gansan : 25th September 2009 at 11:12.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:16   #19
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How easy is it to do the oil change on your own? Just have your local petrol pump drain out the oil and replace with new? Do you need an engine flush if you are already using synthetic?
Yup, just ask them to drain out till the last drop and then replace the oil filter with a genuine replacement part and fill in the fresh oil. If you are already using synthetic oil, you do not need a flush.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone state the service intervals & recommendations for Safari 2.2, Xylo and Scorrpio Mhawk ??
Old 25th September 2009, 12:04   #21
BHPian

Lads,

Any advice on oil change intervals and oil type for the Jetta 1.9TDI?

The service interval is 15,000 kms or one year whichever is earlier.
I've clocked roughly 3100 kms, out of which about 1250 has been on highways, so its been 60% on Bombay's suburban traffic.

Regards
Old 25th September 2009, 12:18   #22
BANNED

@Gansan: I do not think IOC supplies a different MGO to the dealerships. As I have written so many times only API-SJ, SL, and SM are current ratings from the API. Others are obsolete. I will never risk SC in a car - let alone for more than 5000km/6 months. As I mentioned the issue of 10k only arose after SF. I may use SC in my pressure washer, but nowhere else. In my experience the xGO is about one grade lower at the price of the higher grade - after all they must make their cuts for endorsement. I never use xGO. Just, forget all the blah, and look at the rating & grade. As I have stated at many places most cars do not need anything other than a good mineral oil or at most a semi-synth.

I was amused to see an ad from BP that thay are now SG - One obsolete grade to the next. - Who is joking!

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th September 2009 at 12:19.
Old 25th September 2009, 18:55   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Again, changing the engine oil at the right time is the most important step you take toward a long life + better performance. I'd really be changing the engine oil at 7500 / 10000 kms, even if the manufacturer recommends 15K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The Superb is half way to the 7500 mark so should I just get her oil changed at the gas station once she touches that mark?
I'd go down to the authorised, carry my own oil and get it changed. Doubt you will get the oil filter in the after-market. Speak to Somnath @ Shetty Motors (Opera House) to buy Mobil 1. 2382.1390 / 2386.0838

Quote:
Would I need an engine flush too(she already is filled with synthetic)?
Nope.

Quote:
: Is it advisable to put synthetic oil in smaller engines like the i10 1.1? If so, what spec?
Depends how much that car matters to you. The Indigo is the family runabout, for rough use only, thus I've been using Tata's regular oil of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Any advice on oil change intervals and oil type for the Jetta 1.9TDI?
=

Quote:
No ways I'm going to wait to change the oil @ 15,000 kms, even if the manufacturer recommends me to do so. 15K intervals are great for when you are driving on freeways, or the AutoBahn, but the Indian driving environment is dusty, has start-stop-go traffic (max wear & tear), the lowest average speeds and amongst the lowest average travelling distances. I would advise all Fiat, Skoda, VW etc. owners to still go ahead and get their oils changed at 10,000 kms. Tops.
If not at 7500 kms.
Old 25th September 2009, 19:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Something I've always wondered about; my Zen's manual stipulates 5k service intervals, but the MASS people always tell me it needs servicing only at 10k intervals.

I always overrule them, thinking that Maruti's design engineers probably had a good reason for stipulating services every 5k, but I can't help wondering whether to just follow their advice and halve my maintenance outlay!

Can anyone advise?
Maruti recommends service every 5000kms for carburetor engines & 10000kms for MPFI engines & diesel engines.
Old 25th September 2009, 19:23   #25
BHPian

I own a Punto which has a 15k service interval. But I am going to change the oil (fully synthetic : Selenia 5W 40) @ 7.5k interval.

Reason ? Simple : I am going to keep the distribution equal

If you change the oil at 10k, you will have to change it again after covering 5k more kms.

Why ? Because you DO NOT have the option of NOT changing your oil at the 15k service. You HAVE to change it at the scheduled service if the car is in the warranty period.

Does not make sense to use fully synthetic oil for only 5k running.
Old 25th September 2009, 19:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Maruti recommends service every 5000kms for carburetor engines & 10000kms for MPFI engines & diesel engines.
Oh ok. Thanks! (And to GTO for the advice too!)

Last edited by Perakath : 25th September 2009 at 19:26.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd go down to the authorised, carry my own oil and get it changed. Doubt you will get the oil filter in the after-market. Speak to Somnath @ Shetty Motors (Opera House) to buy Mobil 1. 2382.1390 / 2386.0838
GTO, Any idea where I can find slightly cheaper Mobil 1 in Bangalore? The Maruti A** stock it but I found that they charge a little extra. If I am not wrong it cost me about Rs 4000 for the oil change in my MPFi Esteem.

Now coming to the topic of oil change for synthetic oil, I was recommended 10k kms for my esteem although as per the service guys, you can drive upto 13-15k kms without changing it. He said it is better to change at 10k which anyway the service interval for MPFi Esteem. Else will have to make 2 visits

The grade for Mobil 1 is I think 0W40
Old 29th September 2010, 14:34   #28
BHPian

BTW, in Civic-FL (not sure about pre-FL) engine oil change interval is 10k or 6 months for normal(recommended) oil itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Service Intervals & Recommendations-29092010051.jpg  

Service Intervals & Recommendations-29092010054.jpg  

Old 29th September 2010, 14:55   #29
BANNED

This is the manual. If you talk to them then once a year/10000 is Ok with Synthetic
Old 29th September 2010, 15:06   #30
BHPian

OK. I think there was enough confusion as to whether its every 5k or 10k in Civic. During my last service(9th month service) the SA was insisting on oil-change and then I had to show him the manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks