Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 12:19   #31
BHPian

Oil Change based on time interval

So, If i were to change the oil in my Verna(Diesel) based on time interval(since, my usage is less : 5-6k per year), how much can i stretch, the oil change interval ,safely? The manual recommends 10k or 6 months. And the Hyundai service center itself says another 2-3 months more is okay, since the usage is not much. Would i be asking for trouble, if i were to stretch the oil change inteval to a maximum of 1 year?
Old 30th September 2010, 12:40   #32
BANNED

@mkc15: I had a similar problem with the SA about the oil change in my Civic at the 2nd service. So we looked into the coupons and the change was indeed in No.3. When taking delivery the Works Manager again asked him about no oil change. It was then explained to the boss that as Honda have gone over to Synthetic the oil change is delayed. I am very sure it is a synth since the grade must have been 0Wx or 5Wx looking at the thinness of the oil. I understand that Honda uses Idemitsu 0W30.

@styx71: My feeling is that you should be Ok with an annual change, as long as you are using a superior (semi-synth or better) oil. I must qualify that I am not a diesel guru, and have heard that diesels engines can take less abuse in terms of maintenance than petrols.

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th September 2010 at 12:47.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
So, If i were to change the oil in my Verna(Diesel) based on time interval(since, my usage is less : 5-6k per year), how much can i stretch, the oil change interval ,safely? The manual recommends 10k or 6 months. And the Hyundai service center itself says another 2-3 months more is okay, since the usage is not much. Would i be asking for trouble, if i were to stretch the oil change inteval to a maximum of 1 year?
Stretching the oil change interval is not a good idea. For my Alto the recommended interval is 12 months / 10K Km. But I do the oil change once in six months, though my usage is < 500 KM per month. It is a good idea to go by the duration / KM whichever is earlier.
Old 6th November 2011, 22:45   #34
BHPian

Re: Service Intervals & Recommendations

I had last serviced my baleno exactly 5 months back and after service drove it for 4K Km.
This week i'll be driving down to my native place and come back. Total distance around 5K KM.

What you guys suggets, should i service it now, or i can do it after the trip.

Currently it's 38,500 KM on odo and i've done 40K service (last service 5 months before).
Old 6th November 2011, 23:26   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I had last serviced my baleno exactly 5 months back and after service drove it for 4K Km.
This week i'll be driving down to my native place and come back. Total distance around 5K KM.
You can safely do it after you come back from your trip. The oil is neither too old nor used much. However, check its level when cold before you leave.
Old 28th April 2013, 10:55   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I fail to understand the need for different service intervals. The car I am interested here is the Nissan Sunny diesel. Nissan wants the car to be called in for service at every 6 months/10k kms which I feel is way too frequent in today's market when most diesel cars have a 1 year service interval. Each service approximately costs me around 3500 rs currently without labour charges ( since the 1st 2 services were free). Add the labour cost to it and it would reach the 5k mark. So in total I need to cough up close to 10k rs in a year for the servicing. Now is this just a way of the company to make money? Or is it really not confident about its product? People say that VW servicing is costly. But then Nissan might be tad costlier than VW too since I have seen many Vento owners spend around 8-9k on the yearly services. Add to that the headache of taking the car to the service centre twice.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:35   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

Typical full service cost for a sedan (C/D segment) or similarly priced SUV is about Rs. 2000-2500 (Labour only) The cost of alignment, Filters, Oil, AC Filters, AC Cleaning Spray, Oil Additives etc, is additional and is linked to the kms.

Manufacturers like TATA though stating 15,000 kms / 1 year interval do clearly also mention that this is for vehicles with significant highway drives and if there is significant city driving or driving in dusty environments etc, then the internal should between 7500 - 10,000. In Skoda vehicles it is common to notice that Oil Levels drop by 25-35% in the course of 5000-10000kms and hence end up requiring to top up the oil at the service centre through a mid term visit.

In Indian conditions irrespective of the stated interval the realistic interval is about 8,000-10,000kms and various manufacturers manage this in different ways. Yes there are a few who do actually stick to 15,000 kms and that too is not necessarily wrong depending on how you look at it, how much one drives and the margin for error left by the manufacturer.
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:39   #38
BHPian

My Alto has run around 5500 since the last oil change (Shell Helix HX5 15W40 - Mineral). In the next 1 month, she will run around 500 km. After that, she will lie dormant till somewhere in August/September, when I will be taking her to Mumbai since I am relocating there. My query is, should I go for a full service now, or should I just change the oil for now and get a full service done once I am in Mumbai? The suspension (front & rear) and the steering column ball joints need some minor work. Everything else is tiptop. Running is close to 76k. What would be advisable here?
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
My Alto has run around 5500 since the last oil change (Shell Helix HX5 15W40 - Mineral). In the next 1 month, she will run around 500 km. After that, she will lie dormant till somewhere in August/September, when I will be taking her to Mumbai since I am relocating there. My query is, should I go for a full service now, or should I just change the oil for now and get a full service done once I am in Mumbai? The suspension (front & rear) and the steering column ball joints need some minor work. Everything else is tiptop. Running is close to 76k. What would be advisable here?
Get the oil changed now(or else change the oil next month after 500 kms) and get the other work done when you move to Mumbai.
Fresh oil in the engine helps protecting the internals during storage.
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:

I suggest you wait and get your car serviced in mumbai. I see no point in getting the car serviced now if it is going to be left dormant for a couple of months.
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Get the oil changed now(or else change the oil next month after 500 kms) and get the other work done when you move to Mumbai.
Fresh oil in the engine helps protecting the internals during storage.
If I change the oil now, is it a good idea to keep the car idle after a fresh oil change? What I mean is, if the engine is not operating, then how does a fresh oil help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
I suggest you wait and get your car serviced in mumbai. I see no point in getting the car serviced now if it is going to be left dormant for a couple of months.
Congrats on your 1st post and welcome to TBHP. I am also planning on getting it serviced in Mumbai itself. What about the oil change?
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on your 1st post and welcome to TBHP. I am also planning on getting it serviced in Mumbai itself. What about the oil change?
I think you should get the oil changed just before you move to mumbai when you are ready to use your car on a regular basis. I dont think fresh engine oil will help if the car is not running.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 00:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
If I change the oil now, is it a good idea to keep the car idle after a fresh oil change? What I mean is, if the engine is not operating, then how does a fresh oil help?
Old oil will be acidic and fresh oil will take much longer time to break down.
You never want the contaminants in the old oil sitting in our engine for long periods of time. Would you ?
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks