Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 10:14   #1
BANNED

Service Intervals & Recommendations

Now that finally we are seeing ads (FIAT) giving the virtue of long service intervals it is time when we look at the recommendations of various car makers in this regard. I will like to start off with Hyundai. For both the Accent, and Santro both service and oil change recommended are 10000km or six months. Oil grade API-SG 10W40/20W50. API SG is now obsolete (with due apologies to our PSU oil firms) so the effective minimum is API-SJ.

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th September 2009 at 10:23. Reason: Put in wrong distance
Old 24th September 2009, 10:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

For Maruti Alto a service with oil / Filter change is recommended every 10,000 KM / 12 months. The oil recommended is MGO 20W/40, which is API SC (for Servo) and API SF (for Shell/BP/Castrol).
Old 24th September 2009, 10:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda too has up'ed it's service interval from 10k to 15k like all other Germans.

I am not very convinced if this long interval is feasible for a healthy engine in our environment. This certainly has brought the servicing cost of Skoda down but given their reputation they are just looking to close the gap of service bills in comparison with Honda, without caring about how it might affect the engine.

Should one go against the tide and still continue to at least do an engine oil change every 10k? However Skoda does use synthetic oil(5W-40) while honda doesn't by default i believe, is guess this is why Honda's need to be serviced every 5k.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th September 2009 at 10:32.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:36   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Skoda too has up'ed it's service interval from 10k to 15k like all other Germans.

I am not very convinced if this long interval is feasible for a healthy engine in our environment. This certainly has brought the servicing cost of Skoda down but given their reputation they are just looking to close the gap of service bills in comparison with Honda, without caring about how it might affect the engine.

Should one go against the tide and still continue to at least do an engine oil change every 10k? However Skoda does use synthetic oil(5W-40) while honda doesn't by default i believe, is guess this is why Honda's need to be serviced every 5k.
The Oil is very safe even if changed at 15k intervals in the skoda, what happens is that in case of diesels the levels go down around the 7-8K mark by about 0.75L, so it needs a top up about then, if the top up is synthetic then we should be able to easily cross the 15K mark safely. I believe they can even up this to 20K but they are still playing safe.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:43   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No ways I'm going to wait to change the oil @ 15,000 kms, even if the manufacturer recommends me to do so. 15K intervals are great for when you are driving on freeways, or the AutoBahn, but the Indian driving environment is dusty, has start-stop-go traffic (max wear & tear), the lowest average speeds and amongst the lowest average travelling distances. I would advise all Fiat, Skoda, VW etc. owners to still go ahead and get their oils changed at 10,000 kms. Tops.

Quote:
However Skoda does use synthetic oil(5W-40) while honda doesn't by default i believe, is guess this is why Honda's need to be serviced every 5k.
I still cannot understand why Honda needs to change the engine oil at 5K. 7.5K is a reasonable gap. That said, I believe they are now offering 10,000 km intervals if you use synthetics.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2009, 10:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No ways I'm going to wait to change the oil @ 15,000 kms, even if the manufacturer recommends me to do so. 15K intervals are great for when you are driving on freeways, or the AutoBahn, but the Indian driving environment is dusty, has start-stop-go traffic (max wear & tear), the lowest average speeds and amongst the lowest average travelling distances. I would advise all Fiat, Skoda, VW etc. owners to still go ahead and get their oils changed at 10,000 kms. Tops.

I still cannot understand why Honda needs to change the engine oil at 5K. 7.5K is a reasonable gap. That said, I believe they are now offering 10,000 km intervals if you use synthetics.
Here's the catch with BMW, the BSI plan will only do the oil change when the car beeps for it thanks to the conditional based service system inbuilt. However, I am not too bothered as my driving is more than 40% highway/expressway which is a better environment than 100% in-city usage.

How easy is it to do the oil change on your own? Just have your local petrol pump drain out the oil and replace with new? Do you need an engine flush if you are already using synthetic?
Old 24th September 2009, 11:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Something I've always wondered about; my Zen's manual stipulates 5k service intervals, but the MASS people always tell me it needs servicing only at 10k intervals.

I always overrule them, thinking that Maruti's design engineers probably had a good reason for stipulating services every 5k, but I can't help wondering whether to just follow their advice and halve my maintenance outlay!

Can anyone advise?
Old 24th September 2009, 11:30   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
For Maruti Alto a service with oil / Filter change is recommended every 10,000 KM / 12 months. The oil recommended is MGO 20W/40, which is API SC (for Servo) and API SF (for Shell/BP/Castrol).
API-CC and 10,000. I do not think even the oil firms recommended 10000 before API-SF!!!!

Essenmtially maruti is happy with API-SC and 10,000km. Teh brand is irrelevant. All I can say is Mama Mia!
Old 24th September 2009, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would advise all Fiat, Skoda, VW etc. owners to still go ahead and get their oils changed at 10,000 kms. Tops.
My petrol Linea driving is about 50:50 in highway-city. It was bought only for highway drives, i cant manage it in south delhi traffic. Do i still need to go in for an Oil change at 10000 kms? Even if i go against company recommendation, will the service centre allow me to not change oil in 15000 kms service without voiding my warranty?

Quote:
Am also confused, my uncle's service centre said that he will have to again come in after 5000 kms even if he uses synth oil (Note: they werent speaking of draining engine oil), whats the use then? Increased service intervals are for less hassles.
Can anyone confirm whether they up the service intervals for City's if we use synthetic oils or uncle's service centre was bluffing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgiitk
For both the Accent, and Santro both service and oil change recommended are 10000km or six months. Oil grade API-SG 10W40/20W50.
The 10000kms oil change +service interval was for older Santro which i had. With Xing, hyundai has reduced service intervals to 6month/5000kms as far as i remember. I give it for servicing after 5k kms and service centre changes oil. Dont know why Hyundai reduced intervals, my older Santro did 1 lakh kms without any serious part change? To each co his own.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:27   #10
BHPian

Ho Coolboy0007,
Obviously your Linea must be under warranty period. And for any car, you must stick to the company recoomended service schedule for the warranty to remain valid. This is mentioned normally under the warranty terms and conditions.

It is only for the vehicles outside the warranty period, that you may choose the service/oil change frequency.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:37   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The 10000kms oil change +service interval was for older Santro which i had. With Xing, hyundai has reduced service intervals to 6month/5000kms as far as i remember. I give it for servicing after 5k kms and service centre changes oil. Dont know why Hyundai reduced intervals, my older Santro did 1 lakh kms without any serious part change? To each co his own.
The 5000/6 months is for (so called) severe conditions and 10000/6 months for normal conditions.
I always run my cars on 12 months (I do under 10k in a year on a single car in a year). My 6-1/2 years old Esteem (carb) was bought by a fleet operator with 63000 on the clock. He put in another 350,000+ and sold it. He never needed an engine job!

I hope this FIAT advt will force others also to do a rethink and stop fleecing us!
Old 24th September 2009, 12:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The 5000/6 months is for (so called) severe conditions and 10000/6 months for normal conditions.
I hope this FIAT advt will force others also to do a rethink and stop fleecing us!
I have to go as per manual states as then warranty will be void
Initially Hyundai had 10000km/1year services for Santro but seems their hunger for money didnt satisfy, now they reduced that inline with others for no reason.

FIAT advt will not do much charms here, for last 2 services, my Scorpio which runs in pure city 100% conditions is going to a private garage for services. MOBILE1 is used and i get service done at 12-13k kms instead of absurd 5k kms by Mahindra. They clean the diesel and air filters and put them back.
24k done and car feels much better than when i used Mahindra's oil and went for 3 services a year. In my view 5000 kms service interval is bad for any car, atleast make it 10000 if not 15000 like fiat.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Ho Coolboy0007,
Obviously your Linea must be under warranty period. And for any car, you must stick to the company recoomended service schedule for the warranty to remain valid. This is mentioned normally under the warranty terms and conditions.

It is only for the vehicles outside the warranty period, that you may choose the service/oil change frequency.
One should stick to warranty intrevals specified by comapny itself during warranty/extended warranty period to avoid any sort of issue while disbursing warranty claims.

However, I believe European and Japanese engine claims longest service period due to superb engine and parts build quality. But somehow i have a gut feeling that such belief is now-a-days is limited to high end cars only rather than C segment cars due to cost cutting measures.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:10   #14
BHPian

Sorry to hijkack this thread. Do anyone have service intervals for Hyundai Elantra. I purchased a used car 2005 Model but the owner manual was not available with the previous owner. Any help in this regard is much appreciated.
Old 24th September 2009, 15:28   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Here's the catch with BMW, the BSI plan will only do the oil change when the car beeps for it thanks to the conditional based service system inbuilt.
Does it beep more or less around the 10K mark?

Quote:
How easy is it to do the oil change on your own? Just have your local petrol pump drain out the oil and replace with new? Do you need an engine flush if you are already using synthetic?
Either at a local pump (more convenient) though I'd take my premium car to the authorised outlet. Most let you carry your own oil as long as you pay them for teh labour + filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Can anyone advise?
Stick to the manual. If Maruti says 5K, don't stretch to 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
My petrol Linea driving is about 50:50 in highway-city. It was bought only for highway drives, i cant manage it in south delhi traffic. Do i still need to go in for an Oil change at 10000 kms?
That's what I would do. Our city driving conditions are too harsh to allow a 15000 km oil change. Fiat is only doing it for a competitive edge and to minimise public opinion that Fiat cars require more maintenance. I'd rather change the oil at 10000 kms MAX (only if synthetic). Cars that I maintain myself have their synthetic oil changed at the 7500 - 8000 mark now.

And no, it won't void your warranty either. Simply because you are doing MORE than is asked for (changing at a shorter interval than longer).

Quote:
Even if i go against company recommendation, will the service centre allow me to not change oil in 15000 kms service without voiding my warranty?
They will go ahead with the 15K change either ways. Alternatively, you could balance it out by changing the oil at 7500 (as I do). Better for the engine.

Quote:
Am also confused, my uncle's service centre said that he will have to again come in after 5000 kms even if he uses synth oil (Note: they werent speaking of draining engine oil), whats the use then? Increased service intervals are for less hassles.
They're bluffing him. I've already been advised that synthetic oil = 10K interval.

Quote:
my Scorpio which runs in pure city 100% conditions is going to a private garage for services. MOBILE1 is used and i get service done at 12-13k kms
I'd suggest you get the Scorpio's oil change done earlier than at 12000 kms.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2009 at 15:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks