Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 15:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

First check your tyres for damages as it would be possible if your alloys are bent, then the tyres would have even more damage. This would lead to loss of traction.
There's a small cut on the outer side wall of the rear right tyre and a small bulge on the front left tyre outer side wall. But there's no damage on the contact surfaces.
Old 15th December 2013, 15:51   #62
BANNED

Re: Strange ABS behaviour in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
There's a small cut on the outer side wall of the rear right tyre and a small bulge on the front left tyre outer side wall. But there's no damage on the contact surfaces.

What are you waiting for then? A tyre Burst?!

Get the tyres changed ASAP. Nothing is precious than human life.

Change the tyres and see if the strange behaviour still persists or no.

Anurag.
Old 15th December 2013, 16:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

What are you waiting for then? A tyre Burst?!

Get the tyres changed ASAP. Nothing is precious than human life.

Anurag.
When I had noticed the cuts, I had rushed to the nearest Madhu tyres outlet. They said it was pretty minor and there wasn't any need to change the tyres. I got the same advice at Bridgestone tyre centre too.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131215_163715.png
Views: 1027
Size:  654.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131215_163724.png
Views: 1017
Size:  832.6 KB
Old 15th December 2013, 17:13   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Cuts and bulges in the last 5k of tyre life apart from being a major safety issue would also be the reason for early loss of traction and the ABS kicking in early. But right now you have a lot more to worry about than your ABS kicking in early. Change your tyres (all 4 to be changed) and the problem should also disappear.
Old 15th December 2013, 17:35   #65
Senior - BHPian

I've attached a few more pics. Please gauge the kms to be had, if any, from the tyres and the severity of the bump on the side wall for yourselves. You are obviously a better judge..

Name:  ForumRunner_20131215_172855.png
Views: 877
Size:  561.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131215_172908.png
Views: 848
Size:  545.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131215_172934.png
Views: 874
Size:  556.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131215_172920.png
Views: 857
Size:  561.4 KB
Old 15th December 2013, 18:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
One more question, does abs work on all four wheels, only front/rear ?
Also thought i'd let you know, abs light goes off normally like it should 5-10 seconds after half start(just before ignition, MAR mode I think)
Thanku for ur replies guys!
I think you have answered/solved your own question/problem.

ABS works only with disc brakes. If only your front wheels have disc, then it works only on the front, it might be your rear wheels that are getting locked up. Since the steering wheels are the one that normally makes the car change directions under heavy brake lock, that is why most of the so called "ABS" equipped cars only have ABS on front wheels.

I have always been of the opinion that most of the car companies for several variants/models are hoodwinking common Indian folks by advertising their vehicles with the 'ABS' badge when only the front 2 wheels have got discs. Although in theory the front ABS would be sufficient, there are a multitude of different scenarios which can make the ABS totally worthless when it works only on the front 2 wheels.
Quote:
I've attached a few more pics. Please gauge the kms to be had, if any, from the tyres and the severity of the bump on the side wall for yourselves. You are obviously a better judge..
A bulge on the sidewall is not a question of severity but a sign that the sidewall is losing the battle against tire pressure. It is only a matter of time before tire pressure is triumphant and your life isn't. Anymore lateral load on that tire like a fast corner might be the end of it. The chalta hai attitude of the technicians are why many lives have been lost already on our roads. Some of them say so else the user will make an issue of warranty etc. Don't put a your life at stake for a few thousands. The side wall is fighting a loosing battle. There is no return from the present point.

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 15th December 2013 at 19:11.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 19:56   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post

ABS works only with disc brakes. If only your front wheels have disc, then it works only on the front,
This is wrong information. ABS works on drum brakes too and cars come with 4 wheel ABS even when they have drum brakes on the rear.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 20:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ABS works only with disc brakes.
Interesting. Why?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 20:27   #69
BANNED

Quote:

Please change those tyres ASAP! No other questions and discussions.

Quote:
ABS works only with disc brakes. If only your front wheels have disc, then it works only on the front, it might be your rear wheels that are getting locked up. Since the steering wheels are the one that normally makes the car change directions under heavy brake lock, that is why most of the so called "ABS" equipped cars only have ABS on front wheels.
ABS works on all four wheels even if the rear wheels are equipped with drum brakes.

There is a wheel speed sensor attached that gives feedback to the main controller which then works out the ABS.

Anurag.
Old 15th December 2013, 22:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Found this old thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ur-wheels.html
Old 15th December 2013, 22:32   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

You got to change all 4 tyres ASAP. They are at the end of the life. Besides with two bulges you are tempting your fate bit too much. I strongly suggest that you do not undertake any highway trips till you change the tyres. Like others have mentioned the tyre has gone hard. Which brand tyres are these?
Old 15th December 2013, 22:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You got to change all 4 tyres ASAP. They are at the end of the life. Besides with two bulges you are tempting your fate bit too much. I strongly suggest that you do not undertake any highway trips till you change the tyres. Like others have mentioned the tyre has gone hard. Which brand tyres are these?
They're Kenda Kaiser. I've run around 30k kms on them.
..and, Yes sir, there's a strong consensus here that if I don't change my tyres right now, the possibilities of me graduating from a 'Newbie' to a 'BHPian' are pretty bleak.
Old 15th December 2013, 22:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I had noticed the cuts, I had rushed to the nearest Madhu tyres outlet. They said it was pretty minor and there wasn't any need to change the tyres. I got the same advice at Bridgestone tyre centre too.

Attachment 1178790

Attachment 1178791

THIS IS SUICIDE. CHANGE IT LIKE TOMORROW.
Old 16th December 2013, 11:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

* I'm off topic. Please excuse me. I'm only posting this query here as I feel the previous discussions and pictures have a bearing on the answers *

Now that's its apparent that I need to change the tyres immediately, I have a couple of questions.
Do I need to change the alloy wheels as wheel? I was told there is a slight bend on one of the wheels, which is responsible for the steering chatter at 80-90kmph. This persists for every alternate 5k kms ie., whenever the culprit wheel ends up in the front during wheel rotation cycle. Other than that there are minor marks made by scuffing at the edges( as seen in some pictures posted previously). Is there a lifespan for aftermarket alloy wheels? I mean, a certain number of kms or years after which the material loses its strength etc., and hence needs to be changed?
Also, which brand of tyres do I go for now? Least road noise and cost are high on my priority list. The tyre size I currently have is 205-50/R16. I believe not many manufactures have tyres in that size.
Old 16th December 2013, 11:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

I doubt this alloy can be repaired, if you are getting new tyres, 16inch tyres are quite common in that size, the Verna has that size and it needs new shoes often, Yoko is one option. A bent alloy is bad news, basically it life is over if you can't get it balanced, from the details in your post I think its beyond repair.

Most Viewed