Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 13:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I doubt this alloy can be repaired, if you are getting new tyres, 16inch tyres are quite common in that size, the Verna has that size and it needs new shoes often, Yoko is one option. A bent alloy is bad news, basically it life is over if you can't get it balanced, from the details in your post I think its beyond repair.
16 inchers are common, yes, but the widely available tyre is 205-55, not 50. I doubt if 205-55 can be fitted to my car.
Its sad about the alloy though. :(
Old 16th December 2013, 13:29   #77
BHPian

Re: Strange ABS behaviour in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Interesting. Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
This is wrong information. ABS works on drum brakes too and cars come with 4 wheel ABS even when they have drum brakes on the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
ABS works on all four wheels even if the rear wheels are equipped with drum brakes.

There is a wheel speed sensor attached that gives feedback to the main controller which then works out the ABS.
My Bad, thank you. I haven't looked up ABS since I first learnt about it several years ago which had all pictures of discs as illustration.

However, I would still think that ABS would not be half as effective with drums due to amount of mechanical action in engaging and disengaging the brake shoes. The quick pulsating effect of holding and letting go of the disk several times in a second, I can't imagine how slow that would be on a drum.
Old 19th December 2013, 10:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

I got this reply to my query on another forum. Can this be the problem?

"Just Wondering if ABS is wrongly activated at low speed as well. Await expert opinions, however, this link is an interesting read.

http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/diagnosing-abs.html

Last edited by schakravarthy : 19th December 2013 at 10:44.
Old 25th January 2014, 12:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

^^^
I have changed the alloy wheels to OEs and have bought new tyres but still the problem persists. The SA at FASS inspected the front disc and claimed that since that since there is a 'groove' formation on the plate, the abs is functioning incorrectly. Is this a possible explanation?
Old 26th January 2014, 22:46   #80

If there is a small bend in the brake disk the ubnormalty will be transmitted to the calipers to feet during normal breaking. Check for bend, if it is minor, they skim a layer make it clear and the problem will solve or may be made not very prominent. If bend, better replace.

Vibration due to disk bend will be directly related to the speed at which the wheel revolves. You can identity it easily.

It's very fast with ABS and diminishes when the wheel gets traction.

I hope this helps . . .
Old 27th January 2014, 18:02   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzkfg6 View Post
If there is a small bend in the brake disk the ubnormalty will be transmitted to the calipers to feet during normal breaking. Check for bend, if it is minor, they skim a layer make it clear and the problem will solve or may be made not very prominent. If bend, better replace.
Afaik, there's no bend in the disc. Just the regular 'step pattern' that appears as the plate wears out due to friction between disc pad and plate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks