Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:33   #31
BANNED

Re: Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet

I got my car serviced last week at a MASS and saw the mechanics wrapping the caliper pin in copper foil and inserting it back. I hadn't reported any rattle but they did this proactively. When asked he said its to prevent the rattle.
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ IMO that is a bad practice ; one Uno had similar "treatment" in 2001 with teflon tape and the results were good initially.Later the caliper pins were not moving dueto shreds of tape stuck in the annulus.

Please check with Maruti's tech team if this is an accepted practice
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:51   #33
BHPian

This problem was there with every single CHevy Cruze delivered in India and they replace the whole assembly if asked for by the owner. Yeah!! I know they should be doing it even without asking for it but the sound is barely audible. There was a mismatch in the dia of the pin and the annulus. The vendor was changed and the problem is no more. The cars affected are the ones manufacture I believe up to April of 2010.

To check for it hold the rubber grommet of the brake nipple of each caliper and shake it. If there is lateral play change it.

Please for the love of your life and family do not agree for copper foil or teflon tape to be wrapped on the Caliper pin. We are not dealing here with contraceptives where material consistencies do not matter much. It is a life and death situation if the sliding action is impeded in both cases. Death in the case of improper caliper pins and life in the case of improper rubber.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 2nd March 2012 at 18:57.
drpullockaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
Got the car serviced at Maruti A.S.S SPECTRA MOTORS in Borivali East, and apparently they did it. I am not aware of the technicals. I guess we need to confirm either from SPECTRA, SAI SERVICE etc, if indeed is the case, unless they pulled a fast one on me.
He must be talking about brake disks. They may wear out & need machining. Normally after 30 to 40 k brake disks wear out & you get deep groove in the disk. So result is no 100% brake pad contact & less braking efficiency.
Old 3rd March 2012, 08:22   #35
BANNED

I have written to Maruti asking whether foil shimming is a Maruti approved procedure. Let me see what they have too say regarding this. Will update when i hear back from them.
Old 9th June 2013, 22:43   #36
BHPian

I am too facing the caliper pin noise in my car (swift). After 100000lms and 9 caliper pin sets changed a friend of mine teaching automobile engineering gave a very simple solution. But it is good only for DIY believers.

All you have to do is grease the caliper pins every 45-50 days with lithium grease. Its easily available at authorised Castrol dealers and can be done at home in flat 30mins.

The noise would gone for good 1 1/2 - 2 months.
Old 17th June 2014, 19:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
This problem was there with every single CHevy Cruze delivered in India and they replace the whole assembly if asked for by the owner. Yeah!! I know they should be doing it even without asking for it but the sound is barely audible. There was a mismatch in the dia of the pin and the annulus. The vendor was changed and the problem is no more. The cars affected are the ones manufacture I believe up to April of 2010.

To check for it hold the rubber grommet of the brake nipple of each caliper and shake it. If there is lateral play change it.

Please for the love of your life and family do not agree for copper foil or teflon tape to be wrapped on the Caliper pin. We are not dealing here with contraceptives where material consistencies do not matter much. It is a life and death situation if the sliding action is impeded in both cases. Death in the case of improper caliper pins and life in the case of improper rubber.
Is the Same issue reported for Chevvy Spark? I have a 2008 model and have been facing the issue since last 1 year. All the ASC does is grease the calliper pins. I even asked them to change the pins- i was said that i need to change the entire calliper assembly! which costs around 6K. Car is 5 years old and hence not covered under warranty/ AMC.
Old 22nd June 2014, 16:39   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Some machine shops fabricate slightly oversize caliper pins which actually solves this problem. I wasn't inclined to try this out as caliper pins are critical parts.

On the existing caliper pins , I would recommend using wheel bearing grease - that is the grease that keeps the noise away the longest.

But greasing has to be done every three months or so.
Old 6th July 2014, 23:57   #39
BHPian

Guys, you need to take better care of your brakes to begin with, then you won't have all these problems. Even if the quality of your brake systems are inferior in India, proper maintenance and the right procedures/materials will go a long way in preventing rattles, squeaks and failures.

First of all if there is a great demand on the braking system I would bleed it every year or at least every two years. Make sure your rotors, pads and shoes are not worn down to the absolute minimum as this is not only unsafe, but puts extra load on the calipers, pistons, seals, guide pins etc.

Make sure that your brake fluid is clear and not brown in color. That you use a silicone-based grease (sil-glyde) for the caliper guide pins and not just any grease. Also apply a good quality high temperature resistant paste/lubricant on all mating surfaces of the pads and the caliper. This will ensure that there is no binding and that your brakes work as they should. Attached below are some pictures I took whilst doing the front brakes on a BMW- ceramic pads and brand-new rotors and sensors all round.

I removed all traces of rust from the hubs before mounting the rotors and even applied some anti-seize compound on the mating surfaces. The same goes for the mating surfaces of the brake pads to calipers and where the caliper slide on its bracket (ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant).

Hope you guys like the pics I will be doing the rears tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet-p1100877.jpg  

Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet-p1100879.jpg  

Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet-p1100880.jpg  

Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet-p1100881.jpg  

Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet-p1100882.jpg  

Ray32825 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 00:36   #40
BHPian

Here is a good example of poor/cheap brake job - previous pads and rotor on BMW .
Attached Thumbnails
Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet-p1100883.jpg  

Ray32825 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 02:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Aye, the solution to the caliper pin problem is so simple, I wonder why none of your service station guys have been able to figure it out as yet.

Wrap a white color tape on the caliper ( it increases its width a bit) and then add the normal greasing that you do and you are good to go. No need to lathe vathe it all. During every 10 thousand service, just remove the old tape and add a new one and regrease it. Have been doing this since sometime and I have absolutely no caliper pin noise.
Old 7th July 2014, 18:06   #42
BHPian

It's BEST to change the caliper pin rather than go through all this rigmarole.
It is NOT expensive, besides what's a few hundred bucks compared to cost of repair of your vehicle not to mention broken limbs & worse. ALWAYS change pins when in doubt.

Once you change the pin, it will last you AT LEAST as much as the original pin did.

Also, ALWAYS use silicone grease when greasing the pin, NEVER petroleum grease as it will eat into the rubber dust cover on the pin.
Old 7th July 2014, 19:05   #43
BHPian

Mine is a petrol Palio Stile 2007 model. The FASS had put some blue tape and grease over the caliper pins during service when I had complained of noise. As suspected (& reported in the original complaint), this would prevent any noise for a week or two, and the noise would invariably return. Actually, the SA had not given me any details when I asked him what was done to fix the problem (not that I would have understood :P). This went on for 1-2 years over multiple services.

I took the car to Venkatesh (Gowri Automobiles). He was the one who diagnosed that Caliper pins are the culprit and changed them. AFAIR, he charged around Rs. 1800/- for the new pins plus labor. This was sometime in Oct-2013. The problem has not re-surfaced since - touch wood.

I'm a bit OCD about cabin noise and can't bear any kind of external noise coming into the cabin. I know what to do now, if the problem were to re-occur.
Old 7th July 2014, 19:09   #44
BHPian

Another thing I've noticed that even mechanics/technicians do, is to depress the pistons without opening the bleeder valve.

This can damage the master cylinder as it was not designed to have dirty/contaminated brake fluid flow backwards into it.

It doesn't take much effort to crack open the bleeder valve, makes it a lot easier to depress the pistons and it's the right thing to do.
Old 7th July 2014, 19:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
It's BEST to change the caliper pin rather than go through all this rigmarole.
It is NOT expensive, besides what's a few hundred bucks compared to cost of repair of your vehicle not to mention broken limbs & worse. ALWAYS change pins when in doubt.

Once you change the pin, it will last you AT LEAST as much as the original pin did.

Also, ALWAYS use silicone grease when greasing the pin, NEVER petroleum grease as it will eat into the rubber dust cover on the pin.
Changing the Caliper pin doesn't solve anything, the caliper itself is the problem.
When we drive over broken roads the caliper pin moves around shaking a bit causing the caliper pin guide hole to become larger and larger. Eventually the gab becomes too wide and nothing other than a full caliper replacement or metal shim when is permanently welded on the caliper can solve this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray32825 View Post
Here is a good example of poor/cheap brake job - previous pads and rotor on BMW .
Loved your work!

But finding those things in here is quite hard! Most garages use normal grease for the calipers that's another reason why it doesn't last too long.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 7th July 2014 at 19:53.

Most Viewed