Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2005, 00:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

k..am not explaining it again...coz i think am sounding real funny ..

i am aware of the need to have power on tap while cornering ..but i feel it is not that important at lower cruising speeds..
Old 20th July 2005, 01:16   #32
BHPian

Hi speedSatya..... as far as what I understood... what LOVER was telling is...... perfectly practical.... U never know what happens next in city conditions... U are reaching a corner(may or may not be clear with traffic).... U put down to neutral and while taking the turn U know what U need next..... so depending on that.... U can work or the gear.... but I assume it only works for the people whoz brain works(reacts) faster than the average persons traffic (brain) sense in our country..... so people who think they believe they've it can try it.

The whole thing supports only particular situations.... please remember that.... I mean talking practically.... coz n other situations.... U could/could not be sure of what happens after U take the turn.... that's something that could totally be left to the person whoz driving and his mental attitude or traffic sense or mood of the person at the state or personality.... I feel it all depends on lot of things.
Old 20th July 2005, 11:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonycs
but I assume it only works for the people whoz brain works(reacts) faster than the average persons traffic (brain) sense in our country..... so people who think they believe they've it can try it.

my brain tells me only thing when i see a corner.----3000+rpm and compulsory slow in and fast out.and if u see a slow moving backmarker on the road,jusy fly past him.this is what i do.NC or power freak can out more light on this.

i suggest u stick to what you do normally.dont try what turbo has said.u could land in trouble.
Old 20th July 2005, 11:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

i never said i dont accelerate coming out of the corner when needed ...
the shifting into neutral bit is somothing that i have done occassionally at slower speeds when you dont know how much speed will drop while your cornering ...i shift up or down accordingly ,i do this to keep my revs under 2000rpm...

are you trying to say you downshift before entering a corner? why do the revs have to be so high(3000+)?
Old 20th July 2005, 11:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
i

are you trying to say you downshift before entering a corner? )?

if its a good road with sufficient banking,its not just downshifting ,its like literally standing on the throttle
Slow in and fast out is the way a corner needs to be tackled if u want to gobble it.if u do fast in fast out ,the corner will eat u.
Old 20th July 2005, 12:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

ye ..but none of that is needed if your trying to conserve fuel...whole idea is to keep the revs low and gently feed power to the engine...
... keeping it in N makes it easier to check revs and select the appropriate gear to make a smooth exit ..
Old 20th July 2005, 12:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
ye ..but none of that is needed if your trying to conserve fuel...whole idea is to keep the revs low and gently feed power to the engine...
... keeping it in N makes it easier to check revs and select the appropriate gear to make a smooth exit ..

if its about saving fuel,then u nee d not shift to neutral at all.u can continue driving in the same gear.
Old 20th July 2005, 12:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
if its about saving fuel,then u nee d not shift to neutral at all.u can continue driving in the same gear.
what happens when the corner really slows the car down for that gear ? engine starts stalling or is about to stall since am talking about retricting the revs to 2000rpm .. a corner normally does eat up from 500 to 1000revs ...depending on that i sift back to the suited gear ...
Old 24th March 2006, 16:46   #39
BHPian

1st: while on high gears.. neve apply clutch den to break.. ur car may skid!!... first apply the break, slow down.. then press clutch then drop down to 3rd or 2nd gear !!!......
Old 24th March 2006, 17:31   #40
BHPian

also while accelarating ... i notice people accelarating from 50 in 5th to 80 .. full acc pressed because they want accelaration... you're hardly gonna get any in 5th anyways...no torque available ... down shift ... use 3rd 4th then 5th to cruise ... it'll be more FE ..
Old 24th March 2006, 17:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Also, dont switch off your engine if you are going to stop for less than 2 minutes. You lose all benefits of switching off your engine if you start it within two minutes of stopping it.
Cheers
Amitoj
t

i wanted to start a separate thread on the above lines... what do you guys think is the ideal time beyond which it is wiser to switch off the engine than idling it... does it differ for petrol and diesel engine

beyond the FE perspective, what would be cost/benefit taking into account the battery, wear on the starter motor etc.
Old 25th March 2006, 12:44   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
t

i wanted to start a separate thread on the above lines... what do you guys think is the ideal time beyond which it is wiser to switch off the engine than idling it... does it differ for petrol and diesel engine

beyond the FE perspective, what would be cost/benefit taking into account the battery, wear on the starter motor etc.
Does not make sense in a car to switch off unless you feel that you are going to remain absolutely stationary for the next 8-10 mins. The resources drained in a fresh crank are costlier than the fuel burnt. In a diesel vehicle that is even more because the battery drainage on a fresh crank is always more than a petrol car. Also, the time required for the glow plug to go off will be enough for the vehicle behind you to drive you up the walls with his honking.

No wonder I do not shut off my Indica so easily. Of course the fact that even with all these idling and crawling on the first gear on just the clutch returns me a healthy 17+ in city contributes a lot to my comfort
Old 25th March 2006, 15:54   #43
BHPian

Diesel cars usually give a better kmpl figure. But my 800 is right up there in these figures. I drive in Bombay traffic, which most of you will know about, and I regularly get 18-20kmpl. Considering that my car is 4 years and 44000+ km, I think that is commendable.
By the way, can someone tell me how many km's a small car's engine is expected to last while still returning proper emission figures? I maintain my 800 pretty well, and change oils and rotate tyres and check the battery regularly. I never push the car to a point that it starts to groan. The suspension is beginning to make noises, but otherwise, the car is in pretty good shape. Here is a link to its pics. http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?im...33large6uq.jpg
Old 25th March 2006, 19:20   #44
BHPian

Dont really know about all the clutching techniques. But simply a lighter foot on the accelarator pedal works.

I'm doing that now(in a Xing) and my average shot up to 14 from 11.2 or so earlier. :-)

Happy Driving
Old 25th March 2006, 19:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Does not make sense in a car to switch off unless you feel that you are going to remain absolutely stationary for the next 8-10 mins.
dont you think 8 to 10 mins is on the higher side???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks