Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2006, 14:13   #46
BHPian

Baleno's Average

hi guys!

i m getting very different opinions from people about baleno's average. while some people on the forum maintain that its 12+, my mechanic told me that its not more than 8. pls help me in this.

Thread merged.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th March 2006 at 14:51.
Old 26th March 2006, 14:33   #47
BHPian

well im new at driving but i have noticed that many people understand the clutch in a wrong way and use the clutch in different ways so the basic question should one use engine braking or normal braking?and should the clutch only be used for shifting gears??
Old 26th March 2006, 15:14   #48
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
engine braking or normal braking?and should the clutch only be used for shifting gears??
NOone can do without narmal braking!... only thing is .. to be more economical you got to drive at more or less constant speeds.... engine braking is therefore a very good tool for mild braking and controlling your speed.
Yes clutch is only for changing gears!... what else? changing gear ratios? (just for a standstill start)
Old 27th March 2006, 11:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
t

i wanted to start a separate thread on the above lines... what do you guys think is the ideal time beyond which it is wiser to switch off the engine than idling it... does it differ for petrol and diesel engine

beyond the FE perspective, what would be cost/benefit taking into account the battery, wear on the starter motor etc.
amitj is correct in his liners saying 2 mins ... u shld neva switch off ur engine if it's nt for less dan 2 min.. and in traffic signals and all neva do that!! .... starting the engine each nd every time will take more petrol dan keepuing it idle for 2 mins....

In signals jus be in neautral... keeping car idle in 1st gear will also burn more than u kep in neautral!!... this is really beneficiary considering hte FE
Old 27th March 2006, 12:17   #50
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I think for FE u need to run it in between a stable/constant Rev range. Thats bout it ... stop thinking bout FE at every turn and all. My Santro gives me 475-500Kms for a tank full of premium petrol with 50-60% AC usage. My friends santro gives like a 375-400Kms for a tank full.

In Stop and go City traffic one can never manage to keep the engine in a constant rev range throughout the gears due to braking and accelerating. there the dip in the FE. On highways even with high speed driving the FE tends to be better than city.

Nowadays traffic signals have timers its best to switch off the engine if the timer is around and above 120Secs otherwise u dont save much
Old 27th March 2006, 18:39   #51
BHPian

hey guys i tried all youre tricks and damn im really amazed it really works plus the ride is smooth and i feel happy im saving fuel!hehe tight budget of a student!its not much of a problem in a 800 but still i would love to get an average of 20+kmpl in mumbai i mainly use bkc road and the reclamation bridge!also i dont have a tacho so how do i know the revs?in the manual it says in 1st go till 10kmph then change to 2nd den at 30 change to 3rd and on 40 change to 4th would this help today i shifted gears like this-1st till 10 then 2nd till 25 then 3rd till 35 and then fourth till 60!i kept it a constant at 60kmph today is this good or not?
Old 28th March 2006, 11:11   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
dont you think 8 to 10 mins is on the higher side???
Yes it is... and that is why if you are going to be stationary for a short while (which is rare) it does not make sense to switch off. In fact in most city crawls the typical way it happens is you stop for a minute and then again the vehicle in front of you starts crawling it stops after moving hardly 25-50 meter at most and then again a mins halt... In these scenarios you can not switch off the engine. Else you will be stopping and starting the engine so frequently that it won't be worth the effort.

And at least 5 mins halt happens... at least in hyderabad. If you stop on a signal like the one at Ameerpet-lifestyle circle you have to wait around 5 mins. That is when I switch off.
Old 28th March 2006, 11:16   #53
Team-BHP Support

About this clutch thing though I have a doubt... One should not slip/ride the clutch. This is not only bad from FE perspective but more than that also causes premature wear and tear of the clutch. However if you depress the clutch fully (where the engine behaves like it is on neutral) is it the same thing as riding the clutch, where people do not shift gears but use the clutch to gain the required revs for the gear? I think may be it is not.
Old 28th March 2006, 11:20   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
hey guys i tried all youre tricks and damn im really amazed it really works plus the ride is smooth and i feel happy im saving fuel!hehe tight budget of a student!its not much of a problem in a 800 but still i would love to get an average of 20+kmpl in mumbai i mainly use bkc road and the reclamation bridge!also i dont have a tacho so how do i know the revs?in the manual it says in 1st go till 10kmph then change to 2nd den at 30 change to 3rd and on 40 change to 4th would this help today i shifted gears like this-1st till 10 then 2nd till 25 then 3rd till 35 and then fourth till 60!i kept it a constant at 60kmph today is this good or not?
I think it is pretty good. You do not need a tacho once you are familiar with your car and its engine noises. The point is not to strain the engine. Let it ride a gear as long as the engine sounds comfy and keeps chugging along nicely. The moment it sounds like it is snarling and trying to escape from a leash you should shift over to the next. I follow this principle in general (although I also have a tacho) and I am pretty happy with the general health of my car (and the FE it gives).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks