Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 19:05   #1

Skoda laura fuel efficiency

As per my browsing the forum for the past few months, I realised that all advice on driving a skoda laura AT was put on driving the car in the "D" mode, instead of the Triptronic mode for good power and fuel efficiency.

Here I am trying something with my laura AT. Driving it for the two months i've had it, I've realised that there is enough power in the car on straight roads, but only inclined dead starts it needs more horses.

Coming to what I am trying out is that I am driving the car in Triptronic from my last full tank, and keeping an eye on the deisel being for every 100kms. Earlier the car was using 10.6 to 9.6 litres of deisel for every 100kms in "D" mode. Now since the car is in triptronic mode and I am manually changing the gears, by not letting the car rev to its higher limit of changing a gear when in "D", and changing the in the lower revs has actually brought my deisel comsumption to 7.9 to 8.3 litres for every 100km, for 170kms driven from the last full tank. Though this is very preliminary and very few kms driven, will drive this tank to half and update, soon on the kmpl got in city, (no highway driving).

I know less revs means less fuel consumed, but then why is the car programmed to rev to high and then change a gear in "D" mode, coz its equally well powered through the gears when you shift early in triptronic mode.
Old 29th September 2009, 01:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suppose you are speaking about th new laura. Well the new and the old Lauras both come with the famed DSG box. Try driving like this. In the "D" mode , not the "S" slowly tap the gas pedal. The car surges forward. If you want to shift before the speed or revs make it, ease o the gas pedal, the car will shift. You will notice this in the display. I have tried this and the car shifts to the 6th gear while doing a comfortable 60kms. Of course every time you start from a standstill or overtake,, if you stomp the pedal, the gear changes will come later. Thats the beauty of the DSG box besides super smooth shifts. On the other hand, if oyu are driving in the "S" mode, doing the above is not so easy. I believe you dont have to drive in the triptronic mode to get maximum average. Try the method above. I have been driving my Laura for a while now and it gives me great mileage, especially on outdoor runs.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:46   #3
BHPian

I didn't get the DSG, but the manual transmission L&K gives me 14.79km/l of diesel (the cheapest kind of diesel without power or boosters or horlicks). The trip meter shows 784KM and I've tanked up at 53lit.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:52   #4
BHPian

I have the manual transmission Laura L&K 1.9TDI, which gave me an average of 14.79 km/l in the last tank fill (did 784 km and tank full was at 53lit.).... This is all driving within Delhi only (from the world famous jams at ashram chowk to the cloggy mehrauli gurgaon road). I'm suddenly happy, i thought the Laura would give an average of 19+ types and was quite unhappy....
Old 1st October 2009, 11:00   #5

V-16 : i tried what you said, but could manage that only from 3rd to 4th, coz our bangalore roads are so chocked any time of the day its so hard to make the car go beyond a particular gear.

duke : i am old resident of delhi, delhi has improved by leaps and bounds compared to the old days, you are lucky to be getting the mileage your getting coz the max i have managed in my AT is 11kmpl, (plus i am riding on 235/45/R17 A drive R-1 as compared to o.e 205/55/R16, fantastic grip but i don't wether mileage is affected or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks