Team-BHP - Fiat Linea Ground Clearance Issue
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Fiat Linea Ground Clearance Issue (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/66602-fiat-linea-ground-clearance-issue.html)

greetings people,
i have just booked the fiat linea emotion, flamingo red. during my test drive i found that it used to touch the speed breakers. i wanted to inquire weather anything could be done about it without voiding the warrenty?

regards
S.I.N.G.H

If i remember correctly Linea has a decent ground clearance .May be the test drive car was too low on air in the tyres. Also with our speed breakers it is not surprising most cars some place or other does take a hit , so just ease extra on the breakers or if road allows take a slanted route on the breaker.
And Congratulations on the beauty .
Regards

respect.
thank you for your reply. appreciated. but the problem is not just with the test drive car. the car touches the ground on all the breakers. i have observed this personally.

regards
S.I.N.G.H

That is a new one.

I did not know of Linea facing this problem. Where are you driving it? Which areas?

i am in new delhi, vasant kunj. the car is not taken too far, max 20-30 km radius.

Must be some real big breakers in your area .Lot of people are driving Linea through out India including Delhi and no one has mentioned the problem to such magnitude.

When driving a car with low clearance + high wheelbase, (Lancer SFX in my case) one has to alter the driving style a bit...

Go slow, and take the speed breakers at an angle if possible...

i do the same thing. but this is not possible at all time. so is there an alternative to increase the clearance without voiding the warrenty. does increasing the size of the tyre help?

That should solve the problem. Take an angular route over the breaker. Make sure two tyres are not at the same point simultaneously.

I have driven in VK a few times and don't recall any particularly nasty speed breakers.

Hi Singh,

A couple of my friends have the Fiat Linea in Chandigarh and they have had no issues what so ever. Most of the speed breakers I have come across in Delhi are not built according to specifications. My experience is each society or housing group erects there own speed breakers.

I would suggest you drop the speed to 0 before attepmting the speed breakers. I have driven in some of the Vasant Kunj blocks and the speed breakers there are enough to scrape the Ikon :Shockked:

One can increase the clearance by swapping the tyres with higher profile ones...

I have increased the ground clearance of my i20 by 9 mm.

However, I dont know if the same will be possible with the Linea due to space constraints.

lets hope for the best. i'll go to the tata workshop and try to inquire bout this

Here is an advise from fellow FIAT owners

Quote:

Originally Posted by VahanPujari (Post 1507774)
Vasanth

No art of driving for low GC but only a universal simple thing.

On a steep speed braker, cross-over it with criss-cross position i.e. left wheel goes on speed braker first while right wheel is still below it. Before Left wheel climbs over & goes down, the right wheel should start climbing up. When left wheel goes down fully, right wheel should still be on the speed braker. The same holds for potholed road with big stones scattered. The key is to keep atleast 1 wheel on the height (not to allow both wheels to go into the pothole or decline together).

But honestly its not practical for a person who just wants to drive and enjoy the car. You need to find a real solution if GC is really a problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by kodivasanth (Post 1511604)
Thanks CliffHanger.

Have driven around 350 odd kms in the couple of days. I have learnt a little bit on how "Not to scrape the linea's bottom". I got a couple of advice from the CRM of Prerana motors. He adviced me to limit the speed to below 10 KMPH when going over speed breakers. This does work most of the times but not all the times. May be over a period of time, it should get better.

exactly. this is what i want. i would own the car for atlease 5 years, and i wont like to drive CRISS-CROSS all this while. lol. we need to have a practical solution to this.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhiJ (Post 1513251)
One can increase the clearance by swapping the tyres with higher profile ones...

I have increased the ground clearance of my i20 by 9 mm.

However, I dont know if the same will be possible with the Linea due to space constraints.

even i own a i20 crdi asta o and i want to increase my cars ground clearence. will you please tell me what is the spec of the tyre u have upgraded to and is it causing any other problem such as touching the wheel arches etc.