Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question on keyless entry running out of battery power

Hi team,

I have a question, in case if the battery in the keyless entry flops and it doesnt work, Can I use the key to open the door of my car? My car is nearing 3 yr almost now. Should I change the battery right away or do I have a choice

Additionlly, what is the source for me to know about the parts of my car. I am new to the auto world.
Thanks
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi team,

I have a question, in case if the battery in the keyless entry flops and it doesnt work, Can I use the key to open the door of my car? My car is nearing 3 yr almost now. Should I change the battery right away or do I have a choice
If your car has just the keyless entry sans the security system, you can always unlock the car with the key in case the battery fails. However, in case you have a security system as well (which I assume the case to be) then you can still unlock the door but have to put up with the unnecessary attention created with the alarm going off. While you may have opened the door, the security system will not permit you to start the engine unless the security is disarmed.

My car is equipped with a NIPPON security system that came as standard and there is a way to open and start the car in case the remote's battery fails. I am not sure what system is installed in your car though. You would do better by going through the owner's manual of the security system.

Quote:
Additionlly, what is the source for me to know about the parts of my car. I am new to the auto world.
Thanks
You are at the right place where you can find answers to all of the questions you have. Welcome aboard !
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good question.

Also, what about factory fitting keyless entry systems in cars with immobilizers??

If the battery dies, one can open the door and get inside, but will the car start?
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Good question.

Also, what about factory fitting keyless entry systems in cars with immobilizers??

If the battery dies, one can open the door and get inside, but will the car start?
THe OEM's will not start if fitted with the immobilizer since its integrated with the ECU and it remembers the last status of the Immobilizer. For eg. if it was unlocked before the battery ran out, no issues, it will start, but if it ran out overnight then no, it wont.

Dont know if the after-fitment ones store this in their chips.
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi team,

Thanks
If the battery of your remote fails - you can unlock the car using keys - your security alarm will go off - but there is a procedure to disable the alarm and the security system using the door switch, bonnet switch and ignition switch - check the user manual of your security system for details - this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Better keep a set of spare remote batteries in the car. If the battery dies - you can unlock with the key and change the battery of the remote quickly. Practice changing the batteries beforehand.

Last edited by archat68 : 2nd October 2009 at 19:19.
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, interesting point.
My i10 has a factory fitted remote lock + alarm system, and I have tried opening the car manually without disarming the alarm (unlocking at the same time), and the alarm starts blaring. There is nothing written in the manual about disengaging the alarm and the security system using the door switch, bonnet switch and ignition switch!
Guess we should keep a battery handy in the car from 2-3 years of ownership onwards.
Also, my second key remote enabled too. Is it suggested that I store it with the battery taken out or leave it as it is?
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Guess we should keep a battery handy in the car from 2-3 years of ownership onwards..
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Better keep a set of spare remote batteries in the car. If the battery dies - you can unlock with the key and change the battery of the remote quickly. Practice changing the batteries beforehand.

Thanks for your tips Blackasta and Archat68, I have decided to change the batteries of both my main key and duplicate keys. I am trying to locate the person who can do this job. Is it the same as watch battery. Guess a visit to car accessory shop will help me, as I am not sure what is the process to change the remote batteries.
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your tips Blackasta and Archat68, I have decided to change the batteries of both my main key and duplicate keys. I am trying to locate the person who can do this job. Is it the same as watch battery. Guess a visit to car accessory shop will help me, as I am not sure what is the process to change the remote batteries.
The battery MAY NOT be the same as any watch battery. Check the manual for the battery model. Also, the process to change battery inside the remote is described in the car manual itself. Its an easy DIY process. Also, I don't think we need to get to any car accessory shop for the battery as it should be available in any electronic goods store.

Last edited by blackasta : 2nd October 2009 at 22:30.
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:36   #9
BHPian

The batteries used are mostly CR2032 - these are also used in computer motherboards. Four batteries (2 for each remote) should cost you around 80 Rs.
Old 3rd October 2009, 01:09   #10
Team-BHP Support

Certain systems even warn you when your remote battery is running low.

For eg. it typically beeps 2x when you unlock the car door, but if it beeps 6 times it means the battery is low. Read the manual

cya
R
Old 3rd October 2009, 01:30   #11
Team-BHP Support

My remote has a very peculiar battery. It almost looks like those regular battery cells that power the transistors (I think they are LR20) but like miniaturized ones. When the battery on my remote failed I opened the remote, there was a small star-headed screw on the remote. However looking at the battery I almost rolled my eyes as I had never seen this kind of batteries before. However an idea struck me. I opened the spare remote and took out the battery in it and put it in my primary remote and it worked.

Since then I enquired and found that most car accessory shops store these batteries and they cost between 60 and 70 bucks. I need to buy a couple of these as I do not have any more spare batteries and the one which is powering the remote now is just as old as the car although I started using it only a few months back.
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:13   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The batteries used are mostly CR2032 - these are also used in computer motherboards. Four batteries (2 for each remote) should cost you around 80 Rs.
You are wrong here. CR2032 is a minority when it comes to car remotes. Some of them are even having batteries(size-wise) which are used in hearing aids.
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

If there is no low battery indicator in your remote you can still monitor the health of your remote's battery if you pay some attention to two things. 1) The effective range of the remote becomes less as battery gets weak. 2) If there's an LED on the remote watch if it lights up to it's usual brightness. If it's getting dimmer and dimmer you will need new batteries soon.

Changing batteries is pretty simple there will be couple of screws to open the remote and put new batt in or a tab to pull out and put new batt in it and close it. 90% chances are that you'll get the replacement battery at a watch repairing shop.
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
THe OEM's will not start if fitted with the immobilizer since its integrated with the ECU and it remembers the last status of the Immobilizer. For eg. if it was unlocked before the battery ran out, no issues, it will start, but if it ran out overnight then no, it wont.

Dont know if the after-fitment ones store this in their chips.
Err, no. Immobilizers immobilize the engine when you insert a fake key into the ignition. By virtue of the way the system works, you cannot start the car without the key either because the ECU makes sure there is no spark.

If your keyfob's battery runs down, you can just put the key into the driver's side door and unlock it. Factory systems disarm everything when you do this. Because the immobilizer key and associated circuitry are not powered by the keyfob's battery, it will work perfectly fine when you put the key into the ignition.

Well, that's how modern systems work. If they made it so that one is locked out of one's car because of something mundane like the keyfob's battery running out of power, the designer of said system and whoever signed for it to be put into manufacturing should be fired and never be allowed to work in the auto industry every again.
Old 3rd October 2009, 22:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
You are wrong here. CR2032 is a minority when it comes to car remotes. Some of them are even having batteries(size-wise) which are used in hearing aids.
Correct. CR2032 is 3v.

Car remotes require (mostly) 12v battery- I guess popular models are MN23A and MN27A- both are 12v- first one is thinner than latter.

-BJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks