Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:26   #1
BHPian

Bent wheel on Fiat Palio

Hello All,

Well this is a sad one.

Car: Fiat Palio Stile 1.6

The Story
Changed my tyres from Goodyear GPS 2 to Yoko A-Drives (175 65 R14). Cost Rs.12,400/- for 4 tyres, keeping the unused GPS 2 as a spare. Purchased at Milivisions, Bangalore (near Lalbagh east gate, Urvashi theater, MTR)

The Investigation
What came out during the tyre changing process was a slightly off Camber angle (front wheels only) that made the bottom part of the tyre to stick farther out than the top. This is called negative camber. There are certain benefits of having a negative camber but I would like to point out the side effects. It caused the inside tread of the GPS 2 to wear out and looked like the rubber had just simply been peeled using a vegetable skin peeler. Unwittingly I was doing a 140 KMPH run from Mysore the previous day! Someone must really love me.

As a result the weight of the car was unevenly being distributed on the wheels this coupled with some high speed pothole drives caused both the front wheels to bend

The Solution
Set the Camber angle to zero by filing and welding the strut to remain at angle 0. This was done at Vijay wheel alignment center, Bangalore. Visibly the car is now sitting evenly and the wheels seem really straight. Cost Rs.600/-.

Come to the point man
I need to get the bent wheels repaired. Please suggest a good place to get the same done.

Note: Driving with bent wheels may cause the tyre walls to bulge and thus result in tyre failure. Is this true?

Please help !

Thanks

Last edited by meremortal : 3rd October 2009 at 14:29. Reason: Grammar
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do you have the Alloys or steel rims?
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

It would be steel rims by the way things have transpired.
Steel rims can be fixed. Alloys are best replaced.

Most Viewed