Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 11:58   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
What they did is pour it into all the A/C vents, wait for some time, and then turn the blower on. A humongous amount of froth comes out, and hopefully, takes the stinking bacteria out with it.
Hi,
What is done is actually the entire contents of the can are emptied equally in all the vents to the brim. The foam solution starts dissolving after a while and cleans the entire duct. The discharge is from the drain pipe actually. If you see either a greenish/blackish discharge then you know that there was a fungal growth.

Viper
Old 20th July 2007, 12:11   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Viper,
This is great.
Any idea if this is Honda approved?

Also, would appreciate if there is any thing I should watch out while I try this.

Any precautions/do's/don'ts?

If this is to be purchased from the market, what's the exact name that the shopkeepers know it by and which brand?

Thanks in advance,
Anand
Old 20th July 2007, 12:19   #48
BANNED

Hi,

I have tried a product by Abro. I dont think there is anything to worry about warranty.

Viper
Old 20th July 2007, 12:33   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,
What is done is actually the entire contents of the can are emptied equally in all the vents to the brim. The foam solution starts dissolving after a while and cleans the entire duct. The discharge is from the drain pipe actually. If you see either a greenish/blackish discharge then you know that there was a fungal growth.Viper
Hmm, Any idea what was the stuff I saw was? In fact, I keep seeing it happen on some car every other day I go there. Maybe they have a different version of this neutralizer spray. Because when I asked them last time, they said this is the neutralizer spray treatment to remove foul smells. And like I said, enormous amounts of froth was coming out of the blowers...
Old 20th July 2007, 12:50   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
I have tried a product by Abro. I dont think there is anything to worry about warranty.
Still I think it would be nice if Honda did it.
Old 21st July 2007, 09:50   #51
BHPian

Unfortunately thats the problem, Honda Dealers apparently don't take responsibility for anything out of the box. Yeah they are great at replacing parts if something is worn out and maybe doing a basic service too. But what I've noticed is that they wouldn't go one inch off course to fix a minor issue on the car. The only thing they are taught to do is to replace stuff.
They wouldn't do anything to avoid an operation prudence and thats why you've got lots of unsatisfied Honda customers unlike Hyundai or Maruthi. I guess this is my perception but I've been with both Maruthi and Hyundai earlier.....
Old 26th July 2007, 13:13   #52
Team-BHP Support

Update. Honda's reps picked up the car on Wednesday and took to Arya's workshop at Lalbaug. All day Wed we were in otuch with both Honda and Arya reps.

Today they call my friend/dentist and tell her that the smeel is from the amplfier in the trunk. As an ICE aware person I dont buy that!

When the car was left idle for 10 days (battery disconnected) the smell did not come. Both the Civic and my RS share a garage so it cant be some external smell either.

If a rodent had died in the car the smell would be there even when the car is not used. besides teh smell is not that of a rodent. it is clearly the smell of fungus. Docs (and dentists) know the smell of fungus.

In fact if one sticks ones nose to the blower one can distinctly notice that it is the blower that is emanating the smell. The source of which should be some part of the HVAC system.

If Honda gives us another story we are planning to escalate this issue. Any ideas?
Old 26th July 2007, 13:16   #53
Team-BHP Support

A smelly amp o man that has to be the lamest excuse I have heard. Even if something in the amp were to blow how would the smell come from the AC vent.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:35   #54
Team-BHP Support

The smell was first noticed when the car was 2-3 weeks old. The amplifier was installed (we have the bill, warranty and install invoice) when the car was 2 months old.

besides no amp even if it blown will contnue to smell for 8 months.
Old 26th July 2007, 14:24   #55
Team-BHP Support

I seriously suggest you take the car out from dealership and head out to Viper's since he is also in the same city and get the job done.

There is no point in educating these dealers or wasting time and effort.
Old 27th July 2007, 13:03   #56
BHPian

If you are sure the odour is fungal, then in RECIRC mode (outside air is taken in), run your blower/AC at the hottest setting, for about 15-20 mins. This should kill any bacteria in the system. Its a good practice, to put off the AC, running just the fan, for the last 5 minutes of your journey. This helps dry out the system and prevents bacteria build up.
Old 27th July 2007, 13:30   #57
Team-BHP Support

Bomi, I thoguht Recirc is when no outside air is taken in but only the internal air is recirculated.
Old 27th July 2007, 13:41   #58
Team-BHP Support

Update:

1. Firstly I gotta thank Viper and GTO who have not forgotten me or the Honda. They have helped above and beyond the call.

2. With Viper's help we assembled almost everyone who is anyone at Arya and Honda at their workshop yesterday. They all can smell the smell. They agree that had this smell been in their car they too would be unable to drive it. and FINALLY they have agreed that the smell is fungal (and not coming from the seats, stereo, amplifier, carpeting, the neighbour's car (yes they even claimed the smell was coming from my RS as we share a garage).

3. Honda on their part have (over 8 seperate visits) replaced the A/C evap coils, cleaned the venting with boiled water (boiled water wil NOT kill fungus), cleaned the car in dettol (again limited use against fungus), and made various other attempts to fix this. BUT the fact of the matter is that they still have not found the cure. I believe this might be true PARTLY because they steadfastly refuse to believe that me or my dentist (she has a NOSed Vtec before this car) know anything about cars (we have been screaming "fungus" since the 5th ot 6th service).

4. Now I hope they can fix it. They have ordered new carpeting since over the last 8 services teh carpet has been soiled and does not fit properly anymore and I am trying to convice them that why not put in new venting tubes as well. We'll know by Tuesday.

Last edited by navin : 27th July 2007 at 13:44.
Old 27th July 2007, 15:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Please make sure your complaints are document in writing.
Write an email to Honda one 2 one. (keep all records)
Finally tell them that you have had enough with this and would move to consumer court.
Old 28th July 2007, 10:20   #60
BHPian

I'm not sure if Honda One 2 One really cares expect for the fact that ensures a guys from the dealership to give you a call back. That guys, mostly a CRM (Customer Relationship Manager), would usually have the same old story and would say they cant help much.

But I've not tried the last part, move to a consumer court, I guess it'll be a tough fight but worth every bit of it...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks