Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 19:41   #91
BHPian

The A/C does not pull air on its own, its the blower that does that, both when the A/C is on or just the blower, at slow speeds most of the air is pulled from under the bonnet, the air passing through front grill exits there on it's own. It's only when the air passing over the bonnet gets faster than the air passing through the engine compartment, creates a lower pressure area, this difference in pressure sucks the air out and does not allow it to get into the blower area.
There is a small gap between the bonnet and the lip of the Blower grating. when the car is at a slow speed less than 40, with the blower off and the vent open, place your hand near the grill, you will feel hot air from the engine coming through.
That is the reason when you turn the blower on the initial air that you get is hotter than the surrounding air. When you park the car at night the hot air from under the bonnet gets into the Blower area, making the area warm.
Old 16th January 2008, 18:29   #92
BHPian

folks, the car is parked in the hot dilli sun plus the blower sports an ambi pure. But the smell still lingers on!
Dirty dan you serious about using lizol? sounds a bit extreme!
Old 16th January 2008, 22:48   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It generally happens when there is high humidity in the air, at night the temperature drops quite low, while inside of the blower area is warmer due to the heat from the engine, warm moist place, ergo!! "Fungus Hotel!!", when you switch on the A/C it dehumidifies the air so the smell reduces to an extent.
In that case shouldn't a car thats been parked for a couple of days also have this problem? Ever since I bought the SX4, my Palio's usage has reduced considerably, the Palio is now used about twice a week. BUT, the Palio doesn't have this problem and the SX4 does.

Quote:
I wonder hos many of the people who have this problem are using leather/art leather upholstery.
My car had it's original fabric seats for a couple of weeks and now has stanley leather. The smell problem has been there from day one.
Old 19th January 2008, 01:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Yes serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
Dirty dan you serious about using lizol? sounds a bit extreme!
Yes I am serious but just a little. A shot glass full. However, the smell will come back eventually and you will have to do it again.
Old 19th January 2008, 15:12   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
what I still dont get is when the A/C is on for about 30-40 mins the A/C ducts should be quite dehumidified, however when you switch off the A/C button the foul air hits you almost instantly.

I dont believe that the humidity levels increase so much in those few secs to pick up the fungal smell again.
The cooling coils pick up moisture from the air. The air does get dehumidified, it's just that the humidity is retained, as water by condensation, on the coils. Since coils are always moist, they provide a good place for fungus and bacteria to grow. This is what gives the bad smell.

The only easy cure is: before shutting off the car after a long drive, put the blower on re-circ. mode, turn the temp control all the way to hot (put compressor off) and let the blower run for five minutes or so. This dries and heats the coils and sterilises the fungus/bacteria.
Old 11th February 2008, 14:55   #96
BHPian

Foul Smell from Fan

Hi

I am getting a foul smell when I am running my fan in Swift. In reciruculating mode, I dont get the foul smell. What could be the cause of this? and how can we get it rectified. I am concerned about my sons health in this fould smell. What steps do we need to take during the cleaning operation.

Appreciate your kind feedback and inputs
Old 11th February 2008, 16:29   #97
BHPian

The moist air is the cause of this problem - it could also lead to development of fungus/mould in the AC. Before you switch of the engine, ensure that the AC is switched off but the fan continues to run for atleast a minute (I typically switch off the AC the moment I turn into our street so that I dont have to wait another minute before i get off). This dries up the duct to some extent and you will not have the smell any longer.
If the problem still persists, get it looked at in a service center.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:59   #98
BHPian

Does the foul smell come up only without AC or does it happen with AC ON?
I have seen many cars which has a bad smell when AC is switched OFF after a few minutes of running with AC ON. This happens irrespective of whether in recirculating mode or fresh air mode.
Old 11th February 2008, 17:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I have seen many cars which has a bad smell when AC is switched OFF after a few minutes of running with AC ON. This happens irrespective of whether in recirculating mode or fresh air mode.

It happens without AC. With AC I have not yet tried. Let me see about it tonight. This smell is in fresh mode only.

Do you see any "dead" animal inside the tubing. I don't want to be a scape goat smelling dead meat
Old 11th February 2008, 17:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

Even it happens in my Ikon. When the AC is switched on, the first few seconds about 20~30 seconds I will get a foul smell and then it dies off.
Old 11th February 2008, 20:13   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I started having this problem in my Estilo a few months after purchasing it. Have shown it to Marketing Times (Maruti owned service centre) about 3 - 4 times. Each time they cleaned some other part, and the last time they cleaned the whole thing, but no solution. Their final explanation, and my consequent acceptance of defeat, was that this just happens. They suggested buy AmbiPur. But for now in the winters there is almost no problem. So will wait till the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Even it happens in my Ikon. When the AC is switched on, the first few seconds about 20~30 seconds I will get a foul smell and then it dies off.
This is something different. The above problem will happen when you turn the AC off after having used it. Yours is something different.
Old 11th February 2008, 20:51   #102
BHPian

In the first place why do you use Fresh air mode? A/C's work best in recirculated mode. By keeping it in Fresh mode, all the smells from outside come in the cabin, just you get coldness with outside smells.

Has to be smelly dirt stuck to the blower.

cya
A
Old 11th February 2008, 23:15   #103
BHPian

seems lots of these cars are suffering from this problem. i discussed the same with our fellow bhpian pompi( id alankarmotor) who has a maruti sevicemasters at patna . i have written about him in some of my previous posts . for precisely this very problem subros the oe supplier of ac's to most of the indian car cos. took his advice & he managed to find the culprit & the cure. it has something to do with the quality of resistance (ceramic) used in these ac's. pm him & he will be able to sort it out. in fact i will ask him to post a detailed reply on this thread for the benifit of all u guys.
Old 12th February 2008, 13:46   #104
BHPian

Foul Smell From Blower/a.c

HI GUYS,this is a very tricky probelem which most of the technicians and service engineers have not been able to figure out. Fortunately we have diagonised. This happens because of the blower resistence ,every one of u who have faced this probelem will recall that this is prominent when blower is operated at lower speed mode. this is when the resistence gets heated up. The resister wire is covered with porcelene matrial, the smell comes from this matrial when heated. This explains why the smell goes off when the compressor is switched on because the resistence gets cooled.The resistence allso gets cooled when the blower is operated at higher speed. And when the blower is operated at max speed then this resistence is bypassed and will not cause smell.Vehicles that come with fin type resistence like FORD IKON etc.will not have this probelem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
During moments when I switch of the AC and keep the blower running, my swift produces a peculiar unpleasant smell. The smell vanishes the moment I switch off the blower. This is only while the AC is on off mode. Does anyone have a clue as toi why would this happen!
Please note this is not a momentary phenomena, the car has been doing this for about an year!
alankarmotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2008, 21:11   #105
BHPian

I was following this thread very closely since the same problem started with my Fiesta a few months back but I just thought it was due to moisture build up. The smell eventually used to go away after keeping the blower on for a minute or so.

The resistor material seems to be the best explanation. Thanks alankar for the info.

Most Viewed