Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 21:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Few more bits from the Red Bull guys:
* There isn't a surface the vehicle hasn't been showcased on apart from ice. Grass, gravel, sand, cobbled streets, you name it.

* The gearing is pretty tall, apart from first gear, which is really short. Makes for good doughnuts and burnouts.

* They were carrying cans of Fuchs Silkolene Pro 0-W-20 oil.

* They carry their own compressors too for compressed air for the pneumatic valvetrain and the air tools.

* The quality of machining and casting has to be seen to be believed. It's the sort of stuff they write engineering books about.

* Carbon fibre quality is super too. Nice clear top laminating layer, shows the fibre weave clearly. Though I think there would be more than one direction of weave. I don't know much about carbon fibre, but would love it if somebody can explain how they bond the metallic ends to , say, the suspension pushrods.

* I could not make out any adjustments for the camber on the F/R wheels or toe adjustments on the rear. Anybody have any idea how it works?

* Anybody know what kind of bolts they use for the suspension mountings? They looked like 8mm allen bolts, but what material are they made of?

* Mpower, can you explain the rear damper? It seems a little different then the regular monoshock, right? The pushrods are feeding loads into what? How is a single coil spring compensating for two wheels? I mean, what happens when only the inside wheel hits a kerb?

Edit: I see that on end of the bell crank feeds the monoshock. Via what looks like an equal bias bar. The other end feeds a hydraulic damper. Which acts as an anti roll bar? How do the two wheels remain independent of each other? This sort of setup acts to limit wheel travel, right? Is that why it bounces off the kerbs, more often than not?

Last edited by ported_head : 8th October 2009 at 22:10.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:03   #32
BHPian

Awesome job Rehaan. Hope you get a close up look at the speed run and get us more pics after sunday's run
Old 8th October 2009, 22:55   #33
BHPian

wow awesome and mindblowing are the three words that came to my mind after going through the pictures.
Old 9th October 2009, 00:25   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
...have an idea if we need an invitation for the Engine Fire Up...
You will require a pass for that event. However, a true petrol head might just want to stand outside the "need-a-pass" area and listen to that thing in person!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargirl View Post
...the PR guys were completely vague about the how and when and where and everything else about the event.
Well to be fair, the even was/is days away. If they still don't know on Saturday, then i'll be worried

Quote:
...And it seems the DC will give an interview only to who else but TOI... but does BHP stand a chance of a face-to-face with him?
Lets see how it goes
Any questions in particular to be asked?

Also if anyone has a question for the engineers -- do put it up here and i will try to get an answer on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
...You should have asked [about FE]. He would have given you a deailed answer. Mileage calcs vv imp for pitstop strategy....
Actually i did ask!
My question was - how many liters is the car going to use on Sunday?
(Also a way to gauge how long sundays run will be - using existing F1 FE data)
The answer - "I don't know!"
(Most of the engineers hadn't even got a chance to see the sealink as yet. Team Manager - Tony Burrows would probably know best as he has checked out the "track".)

cya
R
Old 9th October 2009, 01:24   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I stared at it for while and I can see a monoshock ie single spring with linkages operating shocks and swaybars (that are not visible).
Here are some more rear suspension pics :
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-img_1678.jpg

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-img_1682.jpg

Look at the 4 varying ways in which the Carbon suspension arms are attached to the metal parts.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000766.jpg

This looks like a linear potentiometer to me. (which is an electrical sensor for measuring rear suspension movement).
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-img_1684.jpg

Quote:
...lightweight everything to save on air freight. ...

Good point!

All the containers had weights mentioned on them...
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000755.jpg

...and were packed totally to the brim, probably with exactly the same equipment in each container every time.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000816.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
...* There isn't a surface the vehicle hasn't been showcased on apart from ice.
They mentioned that they had roughed up the undercarriage a couple of times -- but the biggest problem they face with the show car events is overheating. The exhaust can reach about 1100*C and their priority is to cool the car down when it comes back in to the paddock.

On that note, here is the oil cooler, with an add-on fan (not present on the race car).
The radiator is in the same place on the left side.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000767.jpg

Quote:
...* I could not make out any adjustments for the camber on the F/R wheels.... Anybody have any idea how it works?

I think this might be your answer ported! Aluminum shims! Thicker ones for more positive camber.
(Old-school solution - and they seem to be hand filed too )
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-img_1681.jpg

The top-left white button is Traction Control.
The bottom-left grey button is a "drinks" button that hydrates the driver via a tube to his helmet when pressed!

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000786.jpg
(Neither button works on this show car though)

Some more pics of the brakes:
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000781.jpg

The use of carbon fiber in braking applications just blows my mind!
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-img_1680.jpg

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000784.jpg

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000783.jpg

Random Engine stats :

- The engine itself weighs about 93kgs
- It puts out about 750hp in this avatar (with the reduced 16.7k-rpm redline)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th October 2009 at 02:38.
Old 9th October 2009, 02:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

I must say that this is a very well detailed report by Ported head and Rehaan.Thankx to these guys we have had an experience of a life time seing the effort put in by them.Well i do have some questions and will put them up by friday night so that you guys could ask them.Have a great time with the team and the car.Thank you again for this detailed report.
Old 9th October 2009, 03:41   #37
BHPian

Thanks for the amazing pics and report of this beauty, I would have never got a chance to see this so close without this thread
Old 9th October 2009, 06:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* They were carrying cans of Fuchs Silkolene Pro 0-W-20 oil.

* Anybody know what kind of bolts they use for the suspension mountings? They looked like 8mm allen bolts, but what material are they

Edit: I see that on end of the bell crank feeds the monoshock. Via what looks like an equal bias bar. The other end feeds a hydraulic damper. Which acts as an anti roll bar? How do the two wheels remain independent of each other? This sort of setup acts to limit wheel travel, right? Is that why it bounces off the kerbs, more often than not?
During a single wheel bump, pushrod pulls on one end of balance bar via bellcrank. Bar pushes the spring and compresses it while the other end of the bar has minimal movement. As the bar rotates looks like it twists the vertical rod which acts a a torsion spring (sway bar)

In a double wheel bump, both ends move down and the vertical bar doesnt twist.

Its a single spring but 2 stage. But there are 2 shocks with piggyback reservoirs.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th October 2009 at 06:50.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:10   #39
BHPian

Awesome report Rehaan.. Read through every word. Really missed this
Old 9th October 2009, 11:51   #40
BHPian

@Rehaan - Don't have any questions in particular for DC, just wanted to know. :-) Maybe you can ask at the presscon after the event if the f2f doesn't happen.

I think it will be an awesome event... though the 100 kmph is a dampener. You already got pre-speed link events to attend, so I guess you're excitement is skyrocketing by now. :-P

BTW, any idea about the sequence of events on Sunday?
Old 9th October 2009, 11:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Rehaan - Don't have any questions in particular for DC, just wanted to know. :-) Maybe you can ask at the presscon after the event if the f2f doesn't happen.

I think it will be an awesome event... though the 100 kmph is a dampener. You already got pre-speed link events to attend, so I guess you're excitement is skyrocketing by now. :-P

BTW, any idea about the sequence of events on Sunday?

@cargirl : Event on Sunday begins with showrun at 2 PM starting from the tool booth end of the Sealink at Bandra. After the run across the Link DC might do some extra stunts for the crowd at reclaimation that is what I know of. Engine start is tomorrow Saturday at 12 noon at the same place. Been observing the setup there for the past few days.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th October 2009 at 11:59.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:03   #42
BHPian

I'm speechless seeing all those pics. Thanks a lot for sharing
Old 9th October 2009, 15:28   #43
Team-BHP Support

Some pics from the monkeycam :

Check out the rear aerodynamics.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc_7004.jpg

Probably a camera window on the RVM? Though this is not one of the locations of any of the 3 cameras on the show car.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc_7019.jpg

Check out how tight that clearance is at the edge of the rim!
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc_7027.jpg

The hole below is where the external starter shaft goes in. (Starter device shown on pg1)
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc_7028.jpg

Notice how basic the rear wing adjustment is! Currently set for high downforce.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc_7030.jpg

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th October 2009 at 15:33.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:54   #44
BHPian

@Dippy- Thanks!

Does anyone here have an idea where we should park if we're going for the event?
Old 10th October 2009, 01:26   #45
BHPian

hi everyone,

im really pleased to see such detailed pics of F1 car parts...esp the suspension....
what i dont get is how the arrangement acts as an antiroll bar (the specs state antiroll bar)....what i can guess is that the superstiff dampers (two of them alongside the central spring) prevent rolling....

another thing i havn't been able to figure out is that why are F1 tires so high in profile?

and really amazed to see those super thick brake pads biting into the carbon ceramic brakes

and surprised to see so many rusted parts...(the starter motor supporting tubular structure, apart from those hubs)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks